Morning workouts

Options
My goal is to get up and workout in the mornings before work. That means getting up around 5 every morning. I struggle getting up though. Any advice on making this easier? Even going to bed earlier doesn't do much for me.

Replies

• rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Unfort you just have to do it! I set my alarm 3 times so I make sure there is no excuses!.
  • Dch102801
    Dch102801 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I try and get up early also and I put my alarm on the other side of the room. Plus I have set my phone alarm set for two minute intervals. For half hour. Plus there is an app that makes you do math before you can snooze it. I still have trouble getting up tho.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Once you get into a routine it'll be easier. Getting up to do something you enjoy also helps.

For example, there is no chance I'd get up at 5 to go for a run. Forget it. I'll get up at 5 to train weights though.
  • kcaughron959
    kcaughron959 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!
  • Arobertson1987
    Arobertson1987 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a 5 am work out too but it is soooooo hard having a snack I look forward to b4 and after my workouts help but still it is tough I would love some other tips
  • boymommy3x
    boymommy3x Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know for me at least, if I get up and get into the shower right away, that always wakes me up a little bit quicker. Maybe (since you'll be working out) just try splashing some water on your face to try to wake you up and instead of jumping straight into a workout, do a different quick activity (i.e. do the dishes, put away some laundry, wipe down the table, something quick that takes 5 minutes but makes sure that you're moving right away). Those things all help me get motivated to start my day!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Start going to sleep and waking up 10 to 15 minutes earlier every couple of days. Before you know it you will be waking up a 5 without the alarm. Or you can get a cat that wants to be fed at 5 AM and crawls on top of you and meows in your face until you finally get up.
  • Lizzy622
    Options
    I am a 5 am work out too but it is soooooo hard having a snack I look forward to b4 and after my workouts help but still it is tough I would love some other tips

I like making energy balls (tons of different recipes on line). You can grab one and it will give you a little boost of carbs, protein and fat to help you thru your workout but they are small and most are easy to digest so they shouldn't make you nauseous.
  • kcaughron959
    Options
    Haha no cats for this guy. I hate cats. All good advice though.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to get used to it, but just be consistent. Set your clothes and shoes out the night before and have them handy. If you have to find what you're going to wear that can slow you down. When you first wake up don't think about whether you WANT to workout or not. Just go do it. Remind yourself that once you get a good AM workout in them the whole rest of your day is free for everything else.
  • kcaughron959
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    It takes a while to get used to it, but just be consistent. Set your clothes and shoes out the night before and have them handy. If you have to find what you're going to wear that can slow you down. When you first wake up don't think about whether you WANT to workout or not. Just go do it. Remind yourself that once you get a good AM workout in them the whole rest of your day is free for everything else.

Except when you have to go to work
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

Except when you have to go to work

Well, that's what I meant. Sometimes things come up at work and I end up staying late. If my workout is already done then I can stay as late as I need to at work and not be stressed about it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It gets easier.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    brceiaeyii3t.jpg

The alarm clock you have to step on to turn off :)

Also, it does get easier! Just push through it even though it sucks, and soon you'll have formed a habit of it.

A couple times I've actually worn my workout clothes to bed just so I had no excuse in the morning.
  • Lizzy622
    Options
    brceiaeyii3t.jpg

The alarm clock you have to step on to turn off :)

Also, it does get easier! Just push through it even though it sucks, and soon you'll have formed a habit of it.

A couple times I've actually worn my workout clothes to bed just so I had no excuse in the morning.

Very cool alarm clock :D
  • Kristy_218
    Kristy_218 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too have a really hard time getting up early for workouts. I set my alarm for 5 and if I'm not up right away it's too late to go to the gym and I have to start getting ready for work. It's really easy for me to say 'oh, I'll go after work', but often comes up that I have to do and I can't make it that night. What helps me is getting everything ready for the next morning.. setting out my gym clothes, shoes, water bottle, iPod, and even a coffee cup :) I have also worn gym clothes to bed before to try and make it easier haha!
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

This is great advice.
    I hate mornings. I do t function at all. At first, I had to sleep with my running clothes on! Just so I could put my shoes on and actually go in the morning.
    Now, I just have to make sure my clothes and HRM and pepper spray are handy --
    Also, I remind myself of how
    Much I hate running in the heat of the day, and it makes it easier to go do it.
    I can only run or do yoga first thing in the morning - I can't do weights or thinking in the early morning yet...maybe never.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to get used to it, but just be consistent. Set your clothes and shoes out the night before and have them handy. If you have to find what you're going to wear that can slow you down.

I used to do this too. Water bottle filled, gym bag by the door, protein in the shaker - just add water!

And if it makes your feel better, I have to get up at 3.45 at the moment for work... I long for a 5am get up hahahahhaahaaaitssosad.