What works for you?

Options

Replies

• julyakw
    julyakw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Obnoxa wrote: »
    Food scale, exercising every second day, and logging anything I put in my mouth are my biggest claims to success.
    But if I was totally honest, I have adopted a philosophy this time I have never done before and I think it has made a huge difference.

Now, I am not a supporter of "cheat days", I think they inadvertently reinforce the idea that your new eating regimen is a temporary thing as opposed to a lifestyle change but that being said, if I truly want something and the quantity or the calorie count doesn't fit within my day and I really, honestly want it? I eat it. I log it, I don't feel bad about it, and I don't try to over-compensate by eating less the next day or exercising to get rid of it.

It seems like such a no-brainer, but it really did take me years to accept that it doesn't have to be all or nothing; as long as my efforts and healthy choices far out-way any less than optimal eating, it's ok.
    I'm just under 60 lbs lost and moving forward with ease, and I'm sure a lot of credit goes to that last thing on my list :)

This sounds a great idea
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Also eating less and moving more, but I try to eat many smaller meals (4 or 5) and I try to load my calories earlier rather than later in the day. Also lots and lots of water.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    Everyone is different. Losing weight and being healthy is not a one size fits all thing. But, I am curious as to what has worked best for you.
    For me, it has been small portions, staying within 1000 calories and walking about 1/2 hour almost every day. That is my formula for me.
    Please share what has worked best for you.

This sounds like a recipe for disaster.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Losing weight and being healthy is not a one size fits all thing. But, I am curious as to what has worked best for you.
    For me, it has been small portions, staying within 1000 calories and walking about 1/2 hour almost every day. That is my formula for me.
    SuggaD wrote: »
    1000 calories, plus exercise...umm no.

Yeah. I noticed that too. We're not so different that any of us can survive on 1000 calories, OP.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    I eat fewer calories than I burn.

And I've made a point of eating only foods I really like. :)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Just tracking calories for me. I was already highly active and not losing weight. No giving up foods I love. No need to increase exercise. Just had to eat less. Very simple really.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

This sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I am 51. This is what works for me. I have tried EVERYTHING. I do weights too. Nothing crazy, Just to tone.
  • flippy1234
    Options
    I am 51. Unfortunately, this is the only thing that has worked for me. I eat what I want but small portions. I do not deprive myself of anything.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I am 51. Unfortunately, this is the only thing that has worked for me. I eat what I want but small portions. I do not deprive myself of anything.

Then you likely are not logging correctly or have unrealistic expectations on how much to lose each week.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Then you likely are not logging correctly or have unrealistic expectations on how much to lose each week.

Sadly, yes, this is very likely true.

A calorie deficit does not have to mean deprivation.
  • flippy1234
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I am not deprived at all. I feel great. Tons of energy. I found what works for me. I am losing slowly. I don't update my profile. I am very realistic. There are days when I go over my calories. I still enjoy my wine as well.
  • elphie754
    Options

I am not deprived at all. I feel great. Tons of energy. I found what works for me. I am losing slowly. I don't update my profile. I am very realistic. There are days when I go over my calories. I still enjoy my wine as well.

Do you weigh your food? If not, you are likely eating more than you think.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Eating at a calorie deficit.

Re the bold part: this is not healthy. You need to eat more.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    For me it's been a very, very simple - move more!

I LOVE food but I have a VERY sedentary full time job, so in order for me to enjoy the quantity of food I desire, I have to make the effort to get up and move! My Fitbit has been absolutely vital for me, if I'm honest.

I also track absolutely everything (pre-logging helps hugely)!
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    1000 calories and exercise 2-3 times a day! My doctor put me on a low calorie diet, so I don't feel like it's a disaster as long as I keep all my appointments and feel good. I have more energy than ever... feel great so far.
  • beck1967
    beck1967 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    SugarD I have to somewhat agree with you, I am 47 and I have to reduce my own calories to about 1300 to lose. Anything higher and the weight does not budge. Even with exercise.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    definately not eating less than 1700 calories as this is my tdee, including exercise -
    track everything
    enjoy the workout
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Setting a reasonable and comfortable calorie goal. Not being in a rush or having a deadline.
    Eating and enjoying the foods I would normally eat. No unsustainable diets.
    Smaller portions of higher calorie items paired with more lower calorie vegetables.
    Pre-logging my whole day has been extremely helpful.
    Moderate exercise. You Tube workout videos.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Doesn't it? Everyone in a calorie deficit is depriving their body of the calories it needs to maintain it's current status.
  • vaguelyvegan
    vaguelyvegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What works for me is ignoring cookie-cutter advice about calorie minimums and mealtimes and whatnot. Every body is different and I think we have to learn what works for us on an individual basis--what makes us feel our best. I find that a few hard-and-fast rules help me: no snacking at work, hit the scale every morning, weigh and log my food as I go along and stop eating when I've reached my caloric limit for the day. It's not rocket science, but it's also not easy, which is why I think people try to complicate the process by subscribing to fad diets and pseudo-intellectual listicles they pick up on BuzzFeed. The fact is that maintaining a healthy weight requires a fair amount of vigilance over a long period of time, and because that kind of sucks, we search for ways to deflect the responsibility and mask the simple concept of nourishment. Really I think our bodies know what's good for them. It's the psychological baggage that's so hard to overcome.
This discussion has been closed.