How effective is Yoga for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There are several variations of yoga, some burn more calories some less. Obviously any form of yoga burns more calories than no exercise ;) If the goal is to increase strength, especially core, and get in shape, yoga is awesome exercise. Try it, and worse case, you have lose a few hours before you decide it is not for you. And it is probably the best type of class if you are shy and anxious about working out in a class. Yoga instructors and yoga enthusiasts I know really are not at all judgemental and they come in all shapes, ages and body weights.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    For upper body strength you'll have to consider a gym--or buying the equipment and doing it at home. I'd try it, because going to a gym is not what you may think. Also ask what the off hours are--when there are less people about, and definately talk to a trainer since you have goals and are new to it. Yoga is great as an added pleasure. I started last year and it's wonderful. I do planking at home and that helps your core, but it won't be enough to get you where you want to be. For weight, CICO as mentioned. Good luck.
  • rnelsonxo
    rnelsonxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sounds good thanks so much!! <3
  • rnelsonxo
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    There are several variations of yoga, some burn more calories some less. Obviously any form of yoga burns more calories than no exercise ;) If the goal is to increase strength, especially core, and get in shape, yoga is awesome exercise. Try it, and worse case, you have lose a few hours before you decide it is not for you. And it is probably the best type of class if you are shy and anxious about working out in a class. Yoga instructors and yoga enthusiasts I know really are not at all judgemental and they come in all shapes, ages and body weights.

That's good to know. I also think they seem like a more welcoming group that have a sense of community which I do appreciate (: thanks for the feedback!
  • rnelsonxo
    Options
    It probably wont hurt your healthy lifestyle but its not going to burn enough to make a difference for wieght loss. But it can help your strength and flexibility so its a good thing! I love yoga :)

Awesome, that is what I need!!!
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Only some types of yoga is "just stretching". Power vinyasa yoga (a fast flow) can burn hundreds of calories in an hour, strengthen your core and tone lots of areas of your body all at once. If nothing else, yoga can help you mentally as well especially if there is a good sense of community like you mentioned.

Good luck on your journey! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    If you want to burn more calories with yoga, you'd need a style such as Ashtanga, Power Yoga, YogaX, etc. (But as a certified yoga teacher, I strongly discourage a yoga novice jumping right in to one of these styles.)

Less vigorous styles of yoga have weight loss benefits other than burning calories. Yoga was instrumental in reducing my emotional eating.

How Yoga Can Help End Binge Eating

One breath at a time, end the suffering of binge-eating

...According to Juliano, yoga gives people the skills to stay with what they are feeling, rather than turning to food to escape. People who are obese or suffering from eating disorders have a tendency to dissociate from their bodies -- to choose not to feel what they are feeling when they are angry, anxious, or sad. Often, they turn to food to numb themselves. "There's this sense that I have to feel better right now, " Juliano says. "There is a complete intolerance of what is happening right now." This need to escape unpleasant feelings triggers a binge.

When you eat to escape what you are feeling, you lose touch with the experience of eating, as well. This is one reason binges can spiral out of control. "You have no understanding that you are full, way past full, into uncomfortable, because you're so out of it," Juliano explains. "You have no connection to what you're eating. You're eating a pint of ice cream and can't even taste it. Or you go to make yourself some toast and before you know it, half the loaf is gone."

Mindful yoga directly challenges the habit of dissociating from your body and your present-moment experience. "The whole point of yoga is to stay connected to your body. You learn it through practice, through breathing, and through breathing through the sensations."

Read more: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i would throw vinyasa yoga as a mild cardio.
    hatha and beginner you learn the poses and it's a bit more static, vinyasa is more about the flow from each pose to another.
    i always suggest going to a studio and learning the basics of alignment and breathing. and then go adventuring into the world wide web is one is so inclined
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Only some types of yoga is "just stretching". Power vinyasa yoga (a fast flow) can burn hundreds of calories in an hour, strengthen your core and tone lots of areas of your body all at once. If nothing else, yoga can help you mentally as well especially if there is a good sense of community like you mentioned.

Good luck on your journey! :)

I agree with this.

Also, keep in mind that there are many types of yoga: power yoga, vinyasa flow class, Bikram, Ashtanga yoga and most hot yoga classes tend to be more dynamic and burn more calories because you are pretty much moving constantly and doing body weight exercises
    For example: Chaturanga is a move that's pretty much like push ups and there are some yoga classes where you are constantly going through series that incorporate it.
    I've attended non-heated classes where I'm sweating like crazy just from the effort.

On the other hand, types of yoga, like Gentle yoga, or Yin yoga, are more passive and promote min-body awareness, flexibility, range of motion etc...

I love yoga -- all types (well, I love/hate Bikram, but that's another story) anyway, I don't rely on Yoga for weight loss, despite of my love. The most important thing in weight loss is a caloric deficit.
    I love yoga because it feels it makes me mellow, keeps my back pain free and helps me with muscle soreness after I do kettlebells or run.

You should try it! And just know that if you don't like one type of class, there are many more to try.
  • BrightOutlooking
    BrightOutlooking Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did yoga a few times. The last time I did it I had trouble walking for a couple of days. What an intense workout.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of yoga myself. Mostly because I look phenomenal in yoga pants (that's a lie), but also because I enjoy running and yoga is great for stretching and relieving sore muscles after a run (that's the true part).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are busy and on the go, the trick is to have healthier options with you so you are not tempted to pop in to McDonald's for a Super-sized meal. I suggest packing with you for the day a protein replacement drink, some protein bars, single serving yogurt or yogurt drink, carrot sticks, and a couple apples.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    try to wrap your head around the idea of fitness for the sake of fitness...and yes, yoga is part of my overall fitness regimen. weight loss and weight management in general is going to be far more dependent on your overall diet.

I'm a pretty active guy...I try to ride at least 80 miles per week (more if training), run a 5K once per week, and lift 2-3x per week depending on the season...to boot, I do some swimming, hiking, walk my dog, chase my kids all over the place and get in a couple yoga sessions per week just to put my mind in a good place and work on some flexibility.

I've lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight all the while being active as feck...the difference in my weight was attributable to how many calories I was ingesting, not the exercise I was or wasn't doing.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I actually lost 20 lbs doing just yoga and tracking my calories on MFP for 6 months. Not to sound over dramatic but yoga completely changed my life- it truly kick started my entire path to fitness!

I did a fair mix of power and vinyasa style classes at least 3-6 times/week. For me anyway, just having that different level of body awareness made me a lot more mindful about what I was eating (and what you eat is truly the key to weight loss).

And being in yoga pants in crazy positions all the time was definitely motivation to eat/log better and lose some weight! :smile:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Vinyasa (faster paced, not a lot of staying still in a pose) Yoga has helped me a lot in breath control. Which I REALLY needed for jogging cause I get side stitches really bad and I'm not good at controlling my breathing without thinking about it.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of yoga myself. Mostly because I look phenomenal in yoga pants (that's a lie), but also because I enjoy running and yoga is great for stretching and relieving sore muscles after a run (that's the true part).

I actually hate yoga, but it is great for tight hammy's after running. Other than that I hate everything about it. It's boring, I hate hearing people breathing, it's always hot in the yoga studio even if I was going to vinyasa and not bikram, the music sucks, I'm not spiritual at all, the list goes on and on.

So yeah, great for tight hamstrings.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @enterdanger it sounds like Pilates might be more your style. My yoga teacher calls Pilates yoga without the spirituality.

My teacher always keeps the studio a little cool, which I appreciate.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I bought one of those strap things and mostly just stretch at home and then foam roll. If no one is in the work gym I'll do some sun salutations, but only if no one is looking. I look really dumb doing yoga. I'm just not graceful.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    emhunter wrote: »
    Often, one doesn't have to exercise to lose weight. When I first started my journey, I ate about 1400 cals and did not exercise and still lost weight.

However if you want to workout, yoga can help you burn calories. But you will need to do a power yoga or a vinyasa flow class. The other styles burn a lot less. Either way, the fact that you are moving and not just sitting on the couch will help you be active and get healthy and ultimately will help in your long term weight loss. I recommend combining yoga with some other forms of cardio to ensure you are getting the best results on your weight loss and fitness journey.

NEVER, does one have to exercise to lose weight. One has to eat in a deficit to lose weight. Exercise is for health.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I actually hate yoga, but it is great for tight hammy's after running. Other than that I hate everything about it. It's boring, I hate hearing people breathing, it's always hot in the yoga studio even if I was going to vinyasa and not bikram, the music sucks, I'm not spiritual at all, the list goes on and on.

So yeah, great for tight hamstrings.

lol.