Losing to improve fertility.

Options
garbet_t
garbet_t Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hello! I am 26 years old and have a beautiful almost 2 year old son. Prior to having my son I suffered an ectopic miscarriage resulting in a couple doses of Methotrexate....of which I was lucky to experience a super fun side effect of weight gain....23 lbs in less than 2 months. Then I was depressed and started snacking and gained some more. Then I got pregnant again 7 months later and gained another 25 lbs. I started to lose after giving birth (breastfeeding for the win!) but then I Plateau'd and gained it all back and then some. So now I'm 50 lbs heavier than I was when I met my awesome husband 7 years ago and have been struggling with trying to conceive #2 for 9 months. I read losing weight could aid in boosting fertility so I finally put my big girl panties on and have officially begun the journey to lose 50 lbs and hopefully gain a baby. Wish me luck! I'm going to need it!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @garbet_t welcome to MFP forums and best of success. It sounds like you are on the right track.
  • garbet_t
    Options
    Thanks!
  • sandra2608
    sandra2608 Posts: 27 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi im in the same boat. I had a miscarriage a month ago :( I have a daughter who is 3 on Tuesday. I'm a lot heavier than I was when I had her so I want to lose as much as I can to hopefully help me fall pregnant again :) I'all send you a friend request :)
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track! At my heaviest I was completely infertile and my monthly cycles stopped completely. After losing 115 lbs, my husband and I conceived in the first month trying! Extremely high ire extremely low body fat in women absolutely affects fertility. Good luck! You will get there!
  • garbet_t
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I've got Hashimoto's Disease and some days really feel like I'm never going to lose the weight. 50 lbs just seems so daunting!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Good luck on your journey! You got this!
  • saylorkw
    saylorkw Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    [quote= 50 lbs just seems so daunting! [/quote] Set little goals for yourself. 50 lbs seems daunting indeed, but 5 lbs 10 lbs that.s doable. Then when you reach that do it again!

• PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Believe in yourself and you are halfway there! Good luck!
  • PMA150
    PMA150 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 50-60 pounds overweight and have been TTC for almost 3 years. I'll send you a FR
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl! I wouldn't say I'm necessarily losing weight for fertility but I'm hoping it will help. I'm losing weight just to feel better about myself but my husband and I have been TTC on and off for about 5 years. I asked my doc if I should lose weight... would it help me get pregnant... he said he wasn't worried about it (and he didn't want me to stress about it) but it wouldn't hurt if that would make me feel better. So, I've been really trying hard to stay on the healthy eating/exercising bandwagon... started taking Myo Inositol supplements at the suggestion of my OB and my cycles are regular for the first time in years... so I'd say a combo of all that is definitely helping! Good luck... take it one day at a time, one lb at a time! You can do it!
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was 50lbs overweight when trying for my second after eight months we got pregnant but first I lost about 20 lbs. It really can be the kick your fertility needs. My baby is now just about three months and I'm working on losing the baby weight and y the extra I still had to lose before getting pregnant.
  • garbet_t
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Been a tough week adjusting to my new diet and lots more water than I'm used to drinking, but I'm feeling positive.
  • supermoe13
    supermoe13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was told to reduce my BMI to 35 and bring my weight down 30lbs to improve my odds. Hopefully it'll work.
  • lilladydoc
    lilladydoc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Looking for supportive friends. About to start ivf
  • cdejohnson
    cdejohnson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here. Trying to get back down to my weight when I conceived my first child. He's now seven. We have been trying, but to no avail, so hopefully this will help! Been doing good so far so I'm trying to stay on track.