Weight Watchers? Give it a go or no?!

Options
Hey Everyone!!

So, I have been debating joining weight watchers for a while now. I moved to a tiny town where I have no friends, no family and there's only one gym here (did I mention that the gym is closed for new memberships? Apparently they reached their membership capacity in Feb!) So I try to get my work outs by walking/jogging around the neighborhood or playing on my wii.

So I'm debating joining weight watchers. I would like to go to meetings every week to keep me motivated and encouraged. I know a few friends who joined WW and lost 20+ pounds (one friend quit WW though and gained all her weight back plus some though)
I just dont want to commit to something like WW and it turn out to be a waste of money and time because I'm looking for lifestyle changes.... not temporary changes.

Are any of you on Weight watchers? Do you recommend it? Thanks for the advice!

Replies

• nads2184
    nads2184 Posts: 124
    Options
    I did WW last year and lost 30+, but put it back on purely because of share laszyness. I vowed to go back in Jan and I did however I havent been as succesful, but I decided 3 weeks ago that I wanted to start again as I really felt I needed to and know I could commit. Then I found mfp and kind of debating to stop ww. the food choices are great nothing you cant eat but have to keep within points. the only reason why im still there is because my mom goes and she wants me to. We go just to get weighed as I have scales at home, i go to the pharmacy and my weight is different. So for me i need proper scaled thats why im with ww. The support there is great also as i have known the helpers for a long time. a friend of mines lost 50lbs and she still is. its really to each own what you can do what you like. mfp and ww are smiliar but you dnt get the support 24 hours with ww, which is what i need. Good luck and lets us know what you chose. and rememeber you dont need a gym to lose weight!

nadine.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    WW is great. Mostly for the reason you state - the accountability. There is nothing "special" about the diet, it isn't a fad diet --- it's good old calorie counting (only with a point system instead - but don't let it fool you - it's calories). They recently made changes to promote eating whole foods too - which is fantastic!! it shows they aren't all about selling their own products since their products went UP in points.

I say go for it - for the accountability factor - and maybe making new friends in a new town! You won't get anything there about food intake you won't get here - so I wouldn't pay the money for the online version; but definite benefits from going the meeting route.
  • losinfat4good
    Options
    I did weight watchers before they changed over to the points plus and I lost a lot of weight. I could no longer afford to keep doing it since I lost my job and I gained the weight back b/c I lost my support group. Before I joined mfp this year I joined WW again since they have changed to the points plus and I lost nothing. I found mfp and I have lost 4 lbs this week! What may not work for one may work for another. If you want to do it go ahead b/c it might be great for you! Good luck!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    PS: I have about 5 gyms within 10 miles of me --- I don't belong to any of them. I find I'm better at doing workouts at home. Walking/running the neighborhood, I have my own treadmill, and I really enjoy workout videos. Right now I'm stuck on JM 30 Day Shred and Bob Harper Inside/Out Method videos.
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I highly do recommend Weight Watchers for anyone, it's a great program. I did it for 5 months before joining this site and lost 15 pounds.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I used to do WW. I quit the day after I joined MFP. Weight Watchers works as long as you work. I mean that if you put forth the effort and if you are committed you will lose weight. The principle of WW in my opinion is to promote a healthier lifestyle. Just like with MFP if you decide to use your calories on junk food you can. I wish you the best.
  • blm625
    blm625 Posts: 33
    Options
    I have done weight watchers on and off for years. In-fact a few years back I had lost 90lbs and kept it off for about 2-3 years. I love the program. The support is great you just have to find the right meeting of course not all meetings and not all leaders are the same. The only reason I am not doing it is because I needed something different and something that didn't cost money! Another great thing is you can check and see if they will let you try a meeting for free. A lot of times they have it that you can go to the meeting and see if you like it or not and than decide if you want to join or not. Good Luck!
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I do not belong to WW but my sister does and loves it. I have another friend that quit because it wasn't for her.

The key to success is to find what works for you, maybe that is WW, maybe it isn't. Unfortunately, WW does require a financial commitment that not all people can afford or feel comfortable with. : (

I also belong to a gym but do not visit it very often. I prefer to run outside and do kettlebells at home. It is nice in the winter to go and use the treadmill but as many people on here will tell you, a gym is not necessary for success.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and if that decision is that WW isn't an option, I hope you know that although it is virtual, the MFP community is very motivating and encouraging as well.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My best friend joined Weight Watchers and lost 80 pounds. The meetings really helped her stay on track and keep her motivated. Even when she stops going to meetings for a while she keeps up with her new eating habits. It has made thinking about what she eats a habit, even when she's not tracking points.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    WW actually just got rated as the one of the best "diets" for short term and long term weight loss. If you "get" what they're teaching you can make alot of permanent changes in your life to be healthier. After I had DD I did WW at home. I had an app for my Palm Pilot and I was involved with a great group of girls on Dotti's Weight Loss Zone (www.dwlz.com I think) I lost all the baby weight and the weight I put on before I had her. I'm still really good friends IRL and online with the girls I met on that board. If you can get one of the deals where joining is free, I'd say check it out. It wouldn't hurt to check out Dotti's or the Three Fat Chicks message boards to see what other people say about it.
  • TeeBoo29
    TeeBoo29 Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm thinking about starting WW also... is it the same as this website though? this site tell you your daily calories and they give you your daily points but I think they would provide food items and the points for them. I just dont know if it would be a waste of $40 a month for that when this is free... I need answers also about this.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers, as others have mentioned, is a fantastic plan because they don't promote extreme measures to lose weight and the entire principle of the program is to teach you to make healthier choices in the long term. I also think that where you are living and where you don't have any family or a whole lot of friends, meeting those people through the meetings could be a great way to make new friends and feel more connected to your new community.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers, as others have mentioned, is a fantastic plan because they don't promote extreme measures to lose weight and the entire principle of the program is to teach you to make healthier choices in the long term. I also think that where you are living and where you don't have any family or a whole lot of friends, meeting those people through the meetings could be a great way to make new friends and feel more connected to your new community.

^^ THIS!!

If you're in a new town, WW meetings is a great way to meet people who have some of the same goals as you. It's a good program, if you commit yourself to doing it right and you can afford the fees. I say you have nothing to lose (except pounds and inches!) by giving it a try.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    can i tell u Jennifer Hudson's Feeling good came on as i read this? lol
    maybe its a sign? :laugh:

isnt WW calorie counting as well? it seems very similar to this one without the extra funds. that's all i really know about it though... so i'm not one to talk.

You mentioned u're in a new place.. so perhaps that extra support with WW might be good too.

oh well, no matter... i dont think one can have enough support for this journey we're on.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    WW is a good plan. I have lost lots of weight on it before. It is like any other plan, have to do the maintenance thing or the weight comes back. The plan does work. Good luck.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you are finding you need help then go for it. I think they give you foods. I think you can do it yourself and save yourself a lot of money. You just have to educate yourself on food choices. Take a look at my diary. I will leave it open. I am on maintaining now but if you back before april I was on a 1200 cal goal.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    In your case, WW would be good for you because you have no other
    options in your area. It is a good kick start to weight loss.
    I am a Lifetime member and no longer can do it. Could not get
    myself motivated again, so I joined MFP through a co-worker and
    have lost 21 pounds. It will be one year in July for me.
    Counting calories is key for me and keeps me motivated.
    My MFP pals keep me motivated through exercise and well wishes.
    It is your choice and Good Luck!!!
  • d4nier
    d4nier Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did w/w for about 4 years and had success up until they changed the points system. I had lost 43lbs and kept it off but once the change occured I put on 7lbs. This is not to say it happened to everyone already on w/w. I did w/w completely online and did not go to any meetings when I originally lost my weight. It was a great help but started to become expensive and once it stopped helping I went ahead and left. I have found that all the tools and help I was rec'ving from the w/w online site are actually found right here. I am starting to see success again. I just recorded 2.5 inch loss after 30 days. Only difference is calories counting which I've found this site helps me accomplish, vs points counting. I would recommend looking into a trial with w/w to see if its for you. They have offers all the time. I was originally happy with w/w but for myself couldn't addapt to the points system change. I'm doing much better now that I've switched. Again, the only differences between the online sites is first off $$ and then calories vs points. I'm not sure if going to meetings would have helped but who knows. If going to the meetings will be your only way to accomplish your goals, or just to meet others, :smile: check to see if any church groups or ymca or any community resorces are available as well because if so you might find with their help and by keeping up with myfitnesspal is all you need without montly dues. I hope this is helpful.
  • Tiffanyluvsaaron
    Options
    Weight Watchers is a very powerful program. I started on September 14th, 2010 and went from 235.5 to 183.0 which is a 52.5 loss! It works really well. I have so much energy and Its taught me to make the better choices. I don't crave all the bad foods like I used to except for the Onion Rings lol.....those are my favorite and I refuse to give it up...Good luck with your choice, but you couldn't pick a better program for losing weight then weight watchers
  • jill5280
    jill5280 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I recently stopped using WW. It is a great nutritionally sound program. When I started using it in December, I had every intention to use it for a few months and then switch over to MFP or Loseit.com. My reasons to start with WW was to get myself on track and used to counting again. (Points vs. Calories) Once I got in the groove of counting etc, I made the move over to MFP gradually. I started with a month of double tracking (points AND calories.) Then I let go of WW altogether.

The reason that I wanted to make the switch is that this is a life long process for me and I can count calories easier than I can count points due to the proprietary nature of the WW point system. I get it, they use this to make money and that is all well and good.

I am happy with my decision to make the switch, but don't regret the foundational time I spent with WW. Good Luck!