Less than 1200

Options
jennlloyd94
jennlloyd94 Posts: 11 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm just wondering how many of you find it hard to reach the 1200 calorie goal. I used to eat way more and then changed my diet to mainly veg/fruit and lost a bit of weight. And I've now started protein world twice a day but even having a big ish lunch I don't seem to reach my 1200 target. Especially today when I'm on the wards and seem to burn more than I take in! How are you suppose to eat when your so full...could I be drinking too much water in between and hence the full feeling?

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I find this (not trying to be rude to you at all, but...) really kind of funny. I sometimes have a heck of a time not going over 12 or 1300 because that's just not a lot of calories, no matter what food you're eating. I can't say I've ever been too full to eat a minimum of 1200 calories, ever. I've been experimenting with fiber supplements to try and prolong the food that I do eat so I don't get so hungry before my next meal. And I do drink a lot of water & tea during the day as well.

That said, protein is filling, so that could be why, if you're eating a lot of it. Try adding butter to your veggies or eating a dish of ice cream if you have room. Again, 1200 calories is really not a lot of food at all.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In a world with peanut butter and ice cream, it is NEVER "hard" to reach 1200 calories per day.
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Try to incorporate a few higher calorie foods. As @juggernaut1974 mentioned, peanut butter is a great way! 2 tbls of that and bang! there is like 180-210 calories (depending on the type of course)
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    My supper at night is usually close to 700 calories, so with 300 calorie lunch I get to it fine. I also drink alot
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I don't find it hard at all to meet (or exceed) 1200 calories a day.

Conversely, I also don't find it incredibly difficult to stick to 1200 (or even fewer) calories a day on most days as long as I make good choices.

But I'm very short and 52 years old. A couple of decades ago 1200 calories a day was a LOT harder.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1270 and I have a hard time keeping below it
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables and 1600 is a low day for me, so I really can't relate. The water could certainly be the culprit.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    On Sundays I mow three large lawns usually logs 14,000 plus steps that is after my 30- 50 min 12- 20 mile daily ride on my stationary bike and 60 minutes of weights typically its noon at this point. The dogs will get two walks of two miles each walk by 8pm and I take the kids to the metro parks for a few hours with miles of walking running playing etc. I more than likely every Sunday end the day in a negative calorie for the day because I just don't eat enough. I do however meet my protein and Fat goals with a 24 ounce ribeye at the end of the day. I do try to make it up through out the week with extra calories and have somehow maintained..
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    In a world with peanut butter and ice cream, it is NEVER "hard" to reach 1200 calories per day.

This.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

I read that in the stereotypical movie trailer voice:

"IN A WORLD.... with peanut butter and ice cream"
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Never.

Eating below 1200 calories is never a good ideal, even most people need to be eating way more then 1200 calories.

ETA: OP you are 21 years old, you most definitely should be eating way more then 1200 calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Other people have had this problem, too. It's hard to eat 1200 calories of fruits and veggies, especially if you don't add much fat.

Meat might help!

If you find yourself not making your goal and need some healthy calories, try juice. It's high-cal and very healthy. High-fat dairy is an easy way to add calories, too. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Not to mention avocados, olive oil, nuts, butter, etc. I can't see ever having difficulty getting 1200 calories in a day unless I was deliberately (and painfully) restricting calories. There are plenty of calorie-dense foods to help reach that goal.

A breakfast of two eggs cooked in olive oil, one slice of whole grain toast with a tablespoon of butter and a glass of orange juice or milk is close to 600 calories. A lunch of half an apple with two tablespoons of peanut butter is almost 300 calories. Throw in a protein shake or a handful of nuts as an afternoon "snack" and there's another 125-150 calories. That leaves a mere 150-175 calories for dinner to hit 1200 - and if the above was all I had to eat all day, I'd be wanting at least 1000 calories for dinner because I'd be starving!
  • jennlloyd94
    jennlloyd94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get what a lot of you are saying and I totally can see where you are coming from. I appreciate the tips, I think what doesn't help is that I do shift work. So I only have 2x 30 mins breaks throughout my 12.5 hour shift. Which means I eat what I would class as an adaquate lunch and I'm full on it. I have dried fruits, popcorn , rice cakes, wraps, soup etc and other snaking bits. But mornings I just have a quick shake/fruit because I start at 7.30 and need to get to work. And then I got home around 8.30/9.00 which is too late to eat a huge among so have a shake and something like beans or roasted veg. I dont feel like I'm painfully restricting myself. I'm never hungry,and I just drink plenty throughout the day. I take multi vitamins etc already. I dont eat bread so I don't have peanut butter unless I'm making a satay or something. Thanks again for your advice. I'll keep it in mind.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to eat 1200 calories of fat a day but normally hit 900-1100 grams of Fat
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options

Love this.

FWIW, my perfect day where I feel most satisfied is about 1500-1600 calories. I occasionally I have lower calorie days, but I have no problem meeting 1200 at a minimum. If at the end of the day I need more calories to get to 1200, I have a glass of milk (usually chocolate) or a protein bar.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how many of you find it hard to reach the 1200 calorie goal. I used to eat way more and then changed my diet to mainly veg/fruit and lost a bit of weight. And I've now started protein world twice a day but even having a big ish lunch I don't seem to reach my 1200 target. Especially today when I'm on the wards and seem to burn more than I take in! How are you suppose to eat when your so full...could I be drinking too much water in between and hence the full feeling?

fruit and veg are great...but there's a whole lot more to proper nutrition than fruit and veg. dietary fat is a highly essential macro-nutrient and if all you're eating is fruit and veg, you aren't getting your requisites...same for protein.

you are not getting proper or adequate nutrition.
  • amyf9
    amyf9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just add a couple of spoonfuls of olive oil to some of your food if you're really finding it that hard, because seriously, eating 1200 calories a day isn't hard.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Go to trader joes buy yourself a jar of cookie butter (or the new pumpkin cookie butter) put some on a spoon, stick it in your mouth and repeat as necessary. Just try not to eat the whole jar, as tempting as that can be, don't do it.