Chubby beginner runner

Options
Chubby ladies can run, right??? Needing some encouragement. Planning to do my first 5k on Thanksgiving. Starting to have major doubts.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's my favourite big girl running blog.

http://fatgirlrunning-fatrunner.blogspot.ca/

If you have not prepared for this upcoming run, I recommend you get on an eight week C25K plan right now. You need to gear up to this.

Get fitted at a running store for a great pair of shoes.

Always stretch before and after to prevent injury.

I registered for a Mud Hero event this past August, eight months in advance. I was really afraid I wasn't ready. But I was running and improving my stamina through those eight months, and I made it. I'll be more prepared next time, with more upper body training.

Though I've lost eighty-five pounds, I'm still a big girl. Yes, this can be done.
  • kwitherspoon19
    kwitherspoon19 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes, they sure can!
    I love running! I jog at least 4 days a week; of course I don't look like the type to run but I'm working on that :)
    Just take it at your own pace, I learned how to run long distances using couch to 5k. You may want to use that as practice before you run your 5k
  • lbt1004
    lbt1004 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I started C25K in July. I complete every workout 3 times before advancing to next one. Its been a long process. In week 7 now. I know I have come a long way since July, just having major doubts.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oh, honey. You are so ready for this run. You'll do fine. Will family be there to cheer you on? Make sure to take a before and after selfie.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oh, and get a nice running outfit, heavy on the spandex. Here in Canada the Mark's Work Wearhouse has a great selection of winter running wear for women.

My niece suggested I get a good supportive sports bra, zip up the front. The best sports bra she found lately was from Victoria's Secret.
  • kwitherspoon19
    kwitherspoon19 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    lbt1004 wrote: »
    Thanks ladies. I started C25K in July. I complete every workout 3 times before advancing to next one. Its been a long process. In week 7 now. I know I have come a long way since July, just having major doubts.

Wow, that's fantastic!! You'll be more than prepared for your 5k! You got this! :smile:
  • lbt1004
    Options
    Yes...family and friends will be there. Keep telling myself that the excitement will help me, but self confidence isnt a strong point of mine. The scale has played a number on me recently, like a 10 pound gain in a week. Thats so crazy for an already nutty woman. Feeling that old habit of quitting nagging at me.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

That is fantastic! Do not quit. You have obviously worked really hard to make it this far. The 5K race is just the reward for that. You will have so much fun, and, yes, it is amazing what race day excitement can do for you! You got this!
  • lbt1004
    Options
    Spandex...lol...oh boy
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I find the runner community to be so very supportive. In every race I've been in, a veteran runner has popped by to make sure I am OK and offer encouragement.
  • lbt1004
    Options
    Im barely able to wear a tank top thats form fitting. Instead of being proud that im off my couch and exercising, Im paranoid about my rolls. Im a mess
  • jgnatca
    Options
    In my learn to run class they suggested a fairly good form fitting inner layer to prevent chafing. I've found the long sleeve sports tops from Costco do quite well for that. The overlayer can be a loose windbreaker, and that will hide any rolls. I'm assuming the Thanksgiving run will be a little cooler.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the meme that says something like "How to get a bikini body: Put a bikini on your body"? I feel the same way about running. Do you run? Then you're a runner. That's really all that is required.

Is this your first 5k? If you haven't seen one before, you should know that there will be people running, people run/walking, and people walking. There will be people of all sizes, shapes, ages, etc. I promise you that you won't stand out. Since it's on Thanksgiving, I'm assuming that it's a community turkey trot, is that right? In that case, there will be an even bigger range of experience levels on the course. (Community runs are my favorites, because there really are all kinds of people out there, from kids, if they're allowed, to people in their 60s and 70s). You're going to rock this.
  • lbt1004
    Options
    Thanks so much. Guess just getting nervous.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You've been training and You're ready! I've been running for several years and started at 325 lbs. Gender aside, I was about as chubby as runners get! Take a look at me now though... Just completed Half Marathon Number 30 and Marathon Number 4! I sometimes think I'm slower than a herd of turtles racing thru peanut butter... but I know now that I can do it!

Listen, when I started running many people told me I couldn't and shouldn't run... I was this 325 lb sloth and no one else believed in me. In the span of 11 months, I lost 100 lbs and completed the Honolulu Full Marathon. I learned to tune out that negative chatter and believe in myself!

When that gun sounds and the race starts, it is you alone out there. If you believe in your training... You will do great! Believe in yourself! You just gotta believe!

Feel free to add me as a friend... in the years since my first full marathon, I've picked up coaching at the Running Room chain. I'm usually a pretty good source of running info.

Cheers!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Lots of encouragement in our monthly challenges. Never to late to join and a new one starts at the end of each month.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10261576/october-2015-running-challenge

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it's more just nerves than actual ability . . . and it sounds exactly like me, before every single run I've ever done. I have two more 5Ks coming up to round out my first year running - I will have done 8 in total this year. Every single race I question myself. For the couple weeks leading up to it, I am like meh I'll be ok . . . I just try. A day or two before I am like I can't do this, I will just sleep in. The day of I wake up and I'm pumped and I'm like let's do this . . . let's run right. this. minute.

Then I get to the race and I line up with everyone else, trying to stay close to the back because I'm slower . . . I see all these people around me, they look way fitter than me and I am like WTF am I thinking? I can't do this . . . let's just go home. I start to freak out, I'm not ready, I haven't trained enough, I should've waited before entering another run. I legit lose it. But then the gun goes off, my music goes on and after a minute or so the crowd thins out and it's very similar to any other training run I've done (except my training runs aren't usually the full 5K, but you get the point)

And then . . . XX amount of minutes later . . . you're crossing that finish line, your family is there, you see you did it and you crossed that finish line, your friends/family are going nuts cheering for you . . . you did it. You finished. And at that point, it doesn't matter what size you are or how fast you were (unless it's one of your goals) . . . it matters that you worked hard for the last few months and you finished the race. I bawled my first 5K finish . . bawled! My mom came out in the chute and hugged me . . . she also bawled at the starting line too. It's such an achievement and with all the hard work you've done you're gonna do great! Please keep in touch and let me know how it went - I love hearing other runner's experiences and race stories :)
  • lbt1004
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Have you seen the meme that says something like "How to get a bikini body: Put a bikini on your body"? I feel the same way about running. Do you run? Then you're a runner. That's really all that is required.

Is this your first 5k? If you haven't seen one before, you should know that there will be people running, people run/walking, and people walking. There will be people of all sizes, shapes, ages, etc. I promise you that you won't stand out. Since it's on Thanksgiving, I'm assuming that it's a community turkey trot, is that right? In that case, there will be an even bigger range of experience levels on the course. (Community runs are my favorites, because there really are all kinds of people out there, from kids, if they're allowed, to people in their 60s and 70s). You're going to rock this.
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    It sounds like it's more just nerves than actual ability . . . and it sounds exactly like me, before every single run I've ever done. I have two more 5Ks coming up to round out my first year running - I will have done 8 in total this year. Every single race I question myself. For the couple weeks leading up to it, I am like meh I'll be ok . . . I just try. A day or two before I am like I can't do this, I will just sleep in. The day of I wake up and I'm pumped and I'm like let's do this . . . let's run right. this. minute.

Then I get to the race and I line up with everyone else, trying to stay close to the back because I'm slower . . . I see all these people around me, they look way fitter than me and I am like WTF am I thinking? I can't do this . . . let's just go home. I start to freak out, I'm not ready, I haven't trained enough, I should've waited before entering another run. I legit lose it. But then the gun goes off, my music goes on and after a minute or so the crowd thins out and it's very similar to any other training run I've done (except my training runs aren't usually the full 5K, but you get the point)

And then . . . XX amount of minutes later . . . you're crossing that finish line, your family is there, you see you did it and you crossed that finish line, your friends/family are going nuts cheering for you . . . you did it. You finished. And at that point, it doesn't matter what size you are or how fast you were (unless it's one of your goals) . . . it matters that you worked hard for the last few months and you finished the race. I bawled my first 5K finish . . bawled! My mom came out in the chute and hugged me . . . she also bawled at the starting line too. It's such an achievement and with all the hard work you've done you're gonna do great! Please keep in touch and let me know how it went - I love hearing other runner's experiences and race stories :)

Yep...you nailed it! And Im praying you are correct about how this will end too. Thanks so much!
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Before every race I have doubts that I can complete the distance be it a 5k, 10k or half marathon and I've done at least 2 of each of these races, I just tell myself that if I have to slow down and walk some or all of the race there's no shame in that as I won't be the only one. When you cross the finish line no matter how long it takes you, you will be on a complete high and I'll bet that you'll be looking up the next race to enter as soon as you get home.
    Your gonna kill it. Have a great time.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Im barely able to wear a tank top thats form fitting. Instead of being proud that im off my couch and exercising, Im paranoid about my rolls. Im a mess

You might not be the most photogenic when running, most people aren't. I know I have some very unflattering photos the race photographer took of me rounding corners into the finish chute or going up a hill or even just trying not to quit. It probably won't be elegant or graceful, your face might look like you're in serious pain (and you might very well be) . . . but who cares? I bet you will find so many people there who are supporting you and what you do. One of my runs I was like 3rd last coming in. I was really upset with myself . . . I wanted to do better. But then as I was getting my medal and walking away a guy (who finished waaaaaaaay ahead of me) came up, gave me a high five and said to me "You did a great job out there!". The running community is super supportive - they all know what it's like to have to start somewhere. This is your somewhere, girl! I still remember my first run, the faces I saw and how I felt. Embrace and enjoy this one :) and if you're anything like the rest of us, it won't be your last.