High Protein Breakfast Ideas

Options
Hiya,

I'm struggling with breakfast lately. I need some breakfast ideas that are high in protein. Primarily because I'm to start to get the urge to snack.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    What do you consider high protein?

I like to get around 30 grams with breakfast and do so usually with a 2-egg vegetable omelet plus some low fat cottage cheese or low fat/skim greek yogurt (plain) on the side (or various other sources of protein on the side, depending on what I feel like). In the alternative I occasionally have oatmeal (which has some protein) with protein powder (usually with berries in the oatmeal and some vegetables on the side).
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If I have time to make breakfast, I usually go for an omelet with egg whites and 2 whole eggs and I add cheese, peppers, spices and whatever else. This makes a pretty big omelet that fills me up. If I need something quick I usually do "double protein oatmeal" English muffins with peanut butter and then after I get to work I have a Greek yogurt/string cheese/cottage cheese or something like that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Bacon and eggs.
  • LAYLAH17
    LAYLAH17 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What do you consider high protein?

I like to get around 30 grams with breakfast and do so usually with a 2-egg vegetable omelet plus some low fat cottage cheese or low fat/skim greek yogurt (plain) on the side (or various other sources of protein on the side, depending on what I feel like). In the alternative I occasionally have oatmeal (which has some protein) with protein powder (usually with berries in the oatmeal and some vegetables on the side).

25 or above. Something primarily that will keep me full longer.
  • LAYLAH17
    Options
    MsMarvel27 wrote: »
    If I have time to make breakfast, I usually go for an omelet with egg whites and 2 whole eggs and I add cheese, peppers, spices and whatever else. This makes a pretty big omelet that fills me up. If I need something quick I usually do "double protein oatmeal" English muffins with peanut butter and then after I get to work I have a Greek yogurt/string cheese/cottage cheese or something like that.

What do you mean by double protein oatmeal?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    One serving (234g cooked, or one cup) of plain oatmeal has 6g of protein, 166 calories.
    Add half a scoop of whey protein (14g) has 10g of protein, 50 calories.
    Add a serving of PB2 (12g) has 5g of protein, 45 calories.
    Add two tablespoons of egg white (33g) near the end of cooking, 4g of protein, 16 calories.
    Add a couple tablespoons full fat greek yogurt, 4g of protein, 48 calories.

That would be a quintuplet protein oatmeal, total 325 calories, 29 g of protein. I find whey protein bitter so I don't add it to my oatmeal. And I always have a little fruit with it, whatever is on hand.
  • LAYLAH17
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Okay. I am going to have to give that a try :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I just do a serving of steel cut oats (7 g protein) plus a vanilla protein powder I like, full scoop (20 g protein), plus some raspberries or blueberries. Depending on how many berries I add, around 295 calories, 28 g protein. I usually eat some veggies too which kick me over my 30 gram goal and into the 300s for calories, which is what I aim for at breakfast.
  • revolucia78
    edited October 2015
    Options
    LAYLAH17 wrote: »
    MsMarvel27 wrote: »

What do you mean by double protein oatmeal?

Not sure where if they're available in your area but near me (on the East Coast, U.S.) Thomas' English Muffins sells a double-protein oatmeal English muffin that I like to buy - it tastes really good! I don't know how to post pics but here's a link: http://www.thomasbreads.com/products/double-protein-english-muffins
  • LAYLAH17
    Options
    I just do a serving of steel cut oats (7 g protein) plus a vanilla protein powder I like, full scoop (20 g protein), plus some raspberries or blueberries. Depending on how many berries I add, around 295 calories, 28 g protein. I usually eat some veggies too which kick me over my 30 gram goal and into the 300s for calories, which is what I aim for at breakfast.

....I'm definitely sleeping on the added whey protein routine....thank you

• revolucia78
    Options

....I'm definitely sleeping on the added whey protein routine....thank you

me 2! I usually only have protein post-workout with some water, I gotta try this!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Steak, eggs and a side of bacon.
  • LAYLAH17
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    That's a good one but do you really eat that for breakfast =0) It sounds like a full/ half a day's meal (calories)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    That's a good one but do you really eat that for breakfast =0) It sounds like a full/ half a day's meal (calories)

Yes, i actually do it it for breakfast/brunch (more so on the weekends)... 8 oz sirloin, 2 eggs over easy, a side of bacon and potatoes. If I didn't work at 0600, then I would do it during the week. My normal work breakfast is a P28 protein bagel with peanut butter, an apple and a Quest protein bar. You can see my diary (my breakfast and morning snack are at the same time now.. just never modded the entries).

It's about 1100 calories, but it gives you close 85g of protein. When I go with a very large breakfast though, I skip lunch. But I will also have a large dinner :)
  • LAYLAH17
    Options

Yes, i actually do it it for breakfast/brunch (more so on the weekends)... 8 oz sirloin, 2 eggs over easy, a side of bacon and potatoes. If I didn't work at 0600, then I would do it during the week. My normal work breakfast is a P28 protein bagel with peanut butter, an apple and a Quest protein bar. You can see my diary (my breakfast and morning snack are at the same time now.. just never modded the entries).

It's about 1100 calories, but it gives you close 85g of protein. When I go with a very large breakfast though, I skip lunch. But I will also have a large dinner :)

yea, after that I would probably skip lunch too. I'll give it a try one weekend.
  • banannerbelle
    banannerbelle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Steak and eggs or egg whites, chicken, shakshuka/eggs in purgatory, poached cod. I've started thinking outside of the American box of sweet/carbed-up breakfasts, and that's helped a lot. Chicken soup for breakfast? Sure! Veggies at breakfast are the best! The fiber/protein combo helps keep me feeling full and energized. Stirring protein powder into everything- some whey protein can be a great addition to my morning tea (wait until it's cooled a bit first to avoid gelling).
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    4 egg omelet with cheese.
  • parrotthead
    parrotthead Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been mixing my greek yogurt with a half scoop of chocolate protein and a tablespoon of chia seeds for 41 grams of protein. Not half bad and keeps me satisfied until lunch. Plus it's easy to eat at my desk if I wake up late and can't have it at home.