Overeating Within Your Calorie Limit

Options
I did this tonight :neutral: I prelogged a generous amount of chili and consciously ate all of it even though I was full halfway through. Am I wrong to think this kind of overeating has repercussions even eating at a deficit?

Replies

• WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well my first thought is why eat when you're full? If you can train your body to be satisfied on a smaller portion, wouldn't that be better?

That being said, if you're still at a deficit you'll still lose. Calories in vs calories out.
  • Greenline30
    Greenline30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ^I'm
    Well my first thought is why eat when you're full? If you can train your body to be satisfied on a smaller portion, wouldn't that be better?

That being said, if you're still at a deficit you'll still lose. Calories in vs calories out.

Bad habits is why. Overeating got me here...
  • zekni
    zekni Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think we need days like this. You feel like you're indulging, whether you are or not. I find when Im too strict with myself, i binge eat eventually. You're within your calories. Its all good.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    If you're under your calorie limit, you aren't doing anything wrong (weightloss wise) by having a generous helping. Sometimes i'll eat a little more than what technically leaves me satisfied because I enjoy food. I don't believe in depriving myself of other meals so I can eat until bursting at one meal, but if I can eat everything I need to and have an extra serve of something at dinner - yay!

If you don't like eating past full, serve smaller portions - you can always go back for more.

It's only when "eating past full" become normal for every single thing you eat that it becomes a problem.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It's not ideal to keep eating if you're full, especially if you know this has ended badly for you in the past. Should you ever find yourself in that position again, stop when you're full and then reevaluate your calories left for the day. You might find you want a small snack later, or just claim the win and move on. Even if you find at the end of the day you're more than say 500cal under this won't do any damage to your metabolism, some days you're just full. As long as you don't under eat regularly there isn't really a problem.
    Maybe ask yourself why your continued to eat even after you had eaten enough? But even realising you had done this is a big step towards not falling back into old habits.
  • Greenline30
    Greenline30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You all are great. Thank you, I really needed to hear these things. I definitely won't make it a habit it continue eating while full, but I feel less like I ruined my whole day or healthy eating after these responses. I need to be better about not being so hard on myself. Thanks again :)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    If you want to change the habit of eating after you are full, you can either change what you eat, or spread the meals out some so you don't feel bloated.

There are calorie dense foods such as nuts or peanut butter that don't fill you up much but pack a lot of calories and nutrition into a small package. Some people use protein supplements to help get nutrition in with less eating to be done as well.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ^I'm

Bad habits is why. Overeating got me here...
    That's sorta my point. It's still a bad habit even within your cals. Imo of course.

That being said, it takes a long time to change our habits. If overeating within your cals helps you, then go for it :)