Am I losing weight correctly?

6'3 240 24% body fat, would like to drop 15/20lbs to put me at around 15% body fat
BMR is 2398
Walking 6.5 miles a day -950 cal
Consuming only about 1300 calories

Am I correct in that I'll be losing 2168 calories a day?

I'm not worried about my health, my 1300 calories consists of apples/bananas/ water/ and high protein foods such as eggs/chicken/ tuna/ and whey protein.

Would just like some help to know if I'm on the right track X

Thanks ^_^

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    IMO, no! You are not losing weight correctly, you are losing weight at a rate that most would consider unhealthy. Based on your BMR and exercise habits, along with what you are eating, you are cutting over 50% of your daily calorie needs.

Depending on the source you think is most reliable and trusted, almost all of them consider that a very radical loss regiment. Slow down and reduce your deficit to 20-30% tops for sustainable and healthy loss.
  • iamtheboss69123
    iamtheboss69123 Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks X I'm not to sure though, I feel fine, energized( really good genetics for gaining and dropping) and I'm thinking about trying to lose close to 5lbs a week if I can push it
    (BMR + 1110 from exercise) and then 1150 from food

Once I drop the 10/15lbs from fat since the muscle should stay due to high protein consumption and exercise. It's time to bulk back up with a straight protein diet
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    I doubt you are burning 950 cal from walking...

But even so, you should be eating more. The NET minimum (that is, calories AFTER exercise and food are accounted for) is 1200 for women and 1500 for men.

1300-950 = 350 NET. That's bloody stupid and you know it.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Once I drop the 10/15lbs from fat since the muscle should stay due to high protein consumption and exercise. It's time to bulk back up with a straight protein diet

Extremely quick weightloss when already at low/low-ish body fat, even when supplemented with high protein, can lead to much more muscle loss than a slow cut.

Most people I have seen, bulk for just as long as they cut and cut for just as long as they bulk to minimise fat gains/muscle losses.
  • iamtheboss69123
    misskarne wrote: »

But even so, you should be eating more. The NET minimum (that is, calories AFTER exercise and food are accounted for) is 1200 for women and 1500 for men.

I walk on average 7 miles a day at about 3mph + ( NYC walking) and yea I know it's probably dumb, but I feel energized, not lightheaded etc.

And it'll only be two weeks really
  • iamtheboss69123
    KateTii wrote: »

Extremely quick weightloss when already at low/low-ish body fat, even when supplemented with high protein, can lead to much more muscle loss than a slow cut.

Most people I have seen, bulk for just as long as they cut and cut for just as long as they bulk to minimise fat gains/muscle losses.

24% body fat for men is high average
    13-17% is ideal and where I'm trying to get
    And will the muscle loss be okay if I'm going to bulk it back up w/ low fat high protein and keep it steady there? I won't be cutting after I bulk up, just maintaining
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    misskarne wrote: »

Around 10 miles walking gets me around those numbers, according to my fitbit.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    6'3 240 24% body fat, would like to drop 15/20lbs to put me at around 15% body fat
    BMR is 2398
    Walking 6.5 miles a day -950 cal
    Consuming only about 1300 calories

Am I correct in that I'll be losing 2168 calories a day?

I'm not worried about my health, my 1300 calories consists of apples/bananas/ water/ and high protein foods such as eggs/chicken/ tuna/ and whey protein.

Would just like some help to know if I'm on the right track X

Thanks ^_^
    You're not.

Starving yourself like a 12-year old with an eating disorder isn't a smart or reasonable way to lose weight. You may want to research BMR, and why it's not a good idea to feed yourself only half of what you need to support what your most basic bodily functions would require if you were lying in bed in a coma.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member

So what happens in two weeks, then...?

It's dumb, you know it, so stop it.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    I walk on average 7 miles a day at about 3mph + ( NYC walking) and yea I know it's probably dumb, but I feel energized, not lightheaded etc.

Why ask if you're just going to plow ahead with your way? It's not healthy, but it's your body and if you choose to do it that way there's not a single person here who can change your mind for you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Maybe the OP could get together with the other recent poster who's going to do a juice-only diet for 60 days. They could compare notes, lol.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Maybe the OP could get together with the other recent poster who's going to do a juice-only diet for 60 days. They could compare notes, lol.

I was thinking the same thing!

Maybe they're both competing against each other to lose weight the fastest. As if it's a race. :/

It won't be long before they've both gained it all back and then some, with their crash dieting.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    KateTii wrote: »

24% body fat for men is high average
    13-17% is ideal and where I'm trying to get
    And will the muscle loss be okay if I'm going to bulk it back up w/ low fat high protein and keep it steady there? I won't be cutting after I bulk up, just maintaining

The muscle will be hard to put back on comparatively, and it will come with fat gain if you want to do that in a short amount of time. It would be easier to lose more slowly and keep the muscle.

Then you won't need to bulk as much, so you wouldn't need to raise your calories as high to bulk (and gain more as fat then).

It doesn't take very long to lose 10 lbs with your stats. You'll want that to be fat that you lose!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    No. I'm nine inches shorter than you and I eat more than that. You need to fuel your body. If you continue eating so little, you'll lose a lot of muscle and run the risk of some pretty serious health problems from malnourishment.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    If you have to ask, you are probably not doing it right, but going to do it that way, no matter what.

Nothing more we can do here, folks. Good luck, OP!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Thanks X I'm not to sure though, I feel fine, energized( really good genetics for gaining and dropping) and I'm thinking about trying to lose close to 5lbs a week if I can push it
    (BMR + 1110 from exercise) and then 1150 from food

This is ridiculous. It doesn't matter how much protein you eat, you're going to lose a lot of lean mass this way too. Your muscles still need to be fed. Your muscles didn't come overnight, so stop trying to lose the body fat so quickly. You have energy now, yes, but it will taper off. I should know because I've been through a bulk and cut cycle already. As of last month, I'm at 23%BF, so I can imagine I'm at least at 22% by now. I lost weight by fueling my body properly. I started out eating 1200 with only half my exercise calories back and I was great; I was too scared to eat any more than that. After a bit of that, I found I needed to up my calories a bit more because I became lethargic. Eating more turned my body into a machine. I'm 5'3.5" and 117 pounds as of last week's weigh in. I eat 1600-2200 calories a day depending on the amount of exercise I've done that day and I'm still losing weight. So you eating less than that would be doing your body an injustice.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    You know you only get one body, right? The one that needs to last you your whole life? How can you consider yourself anything even approaching a responsible adult and do something where you are 'not worried' about your health?

You wouldn't have asked if you thought this was a good idea, and you've been soundly told it is bloody stupid. Listen, be an adult and make responsible decisions.