Getting back to the gym

Options
I'm just getting back into the gym mode. I have read online of people having great success with lifting & losing weight but I haven't found a lot of guides on what to do & a schedule so to speak. I'm new to the gym deal so any help would be great!!

Also, I do like cardio & try to get in at least 30 mins on the treadmill or elliptical every work out. Suggestions on changing that at all?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Look up Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, and New Rules of Lifting for Women. They're all excellent beginner lifting programs. As for the cardio, if you enjoy it and are comfortable doing it, keep at it.
  • timetolosethisnow
    Options
    hey! good for you!
    just so you know:
    weight training will increase your muscle mass, which increases your metabolism so you'll end up burning more calories throughout the say (your bmr will be higher)
    i like to chose a specific day of the week to work out a specific body part. for example, mondays and thursdays i focus on legs, tuesday is core/abs, wednesday is shoulders and back, friday is triceps and biceps.
    look online for exercise that work out a body part and try them out. keep the ones you like and feel comfortable doing. make sure your doing the movement correctly or you could hurt yourself, so deffinetly have a look at video's on youtube.
    dont forget to eat protein after your workout to help build your muscle so you dont loose it (when you lose weight, you lose fat AND muscle)
    also, dont freak out and think your going to get bulky. firstly, women CANT physically build muscle the way a man does. and when your doing your movements, aim for doing it until you feel a burning sensation by the 11th repetition. do it for five more after that. repeat that session 3 times. thats pretty much what you do.
    Toning= more repetitions with a lighter weight
    Bulking= less repetitions with a heavier weight
    you have to play around to see with what weights are best for you.
    Good luck!
  • timetolosethisnow
    Options
    oh and try the 30 day shred. its really good for begginers and it gives you a sense of what to do
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting back.! I like the strong curves book by Brett Contras. He provides good guidance and detailed description of the program, exercises and alternative exercises. The program starts with mobility and warm up, goes into a first phase of body weight exercises then progresses from there to weighted exercises and more advanced progressions. There's also a program if you just want to focus more on lower body. If you'd prefer to design your own program and exercises his book acts as a good template you can use to swap out between the different exercises and variations.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good advice in other posts, but ignore this one:

Toning= more repetitions with a lighter weight
    Bulking= less repetitions with a heavier weight

There's no such thing as toning other than in the fiction in women's magazines, and bulking doesn't occur unless you're eating in a caloric surplus. What most women refer to as "toning" is reducing your bodyfat (which is done primarily through diet) so that your existing muscles are more visible. Doing 15-20 reps with little pink dumbbells isn't "toning", it's poorly executed cardio. Don't waste your time with the silly "toning" routines you see in magazines and on the internet.

While lifting is a great thing to do while losing weight (it helps preserve muscle and build strength), remember that diet is #1 when it comes to weight loss. As the saying goes, "you can't out-train a bad diet".
  • hazeljwatson
    hazeljwatson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    well after years of self neglect I am going to a gym for an induction nervous as I have six stone to lose but I have to start somewhere. hoping that combined with calorie counting will get me on my way.
  • Doublemeasure
    Doublemeasure Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @hazeljwatson. Don't be frightened at the gym, you will be looked after by the Fitness Instructor, getting through the gym door is all part of the weight loss process. Go for it!
  • mefullerton
    mefullerton Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    well after years of self neglect I am going to a gym for an induction nervous as I have six stone to lose but I have to start somewhere. hoping that combined with calorie counting will get me on my way.

Good luck!! I have always been a little nervous about the gym - probably more intimidated than anything. Like I'm the chubby girl with all these fit people. But, I have learned to embrace it & enjoy it...It is ME time that I desperately need!
  • FrankieBoom
    FrankieBoom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    oh and try the 30 day shred. its really good for begginers

Hi, what's the 30 day shred? Thanks
  • FrankieBoom
    FrankieBoom Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Good luck!! I have always been a little nervous about the gym - probably more intimidated than anything. Like I'm the chubby girl with all these fit people. But, I have learned to embrace it & enjoy it...It is ME time that I desperately need!

This is day 2 at the gym for me after a long hiatus. Good luck to us both!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Gym is like church, you are always welcomed back!
    Can you go through a weight machine orientation & get a program made for you? Lots of gyms offer this free to members...
  • Last_mango_in_paradise
    Options
    and when your doing your movements, aim for doing it until you feel a burning sensation by the 11th repetition. do it for five more after that.

If you're not "feeling it" by time you hit rep #11 then you're not using enough weight.