Eat at BMR or slightly below?

My BMR is 2300, no clue how I'll lose weight eating that?
Mfp app puts me at a 1700 intake which is below my BMR

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    If MFP gives you 1700, go with it.

Some people are convinced that eating at or below your BMR is unhealthy and dangerous. It's really not. You can eat at or under your BMR. The amount people need to eat has to be based on them.
  • iamtheboss69123
    iamtheboss69123 Posts: 10 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »

Some people are convinced that eating at or below your BMR is unhealthy and dangerous. It's really not. You can eat at or under your BMR. The amount people need to eat has to be based on them.

Thanks, there seemed to be people who were strong on the don't go below or at and yea, so thank you
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    OP, what are your stats to get a BMR of 2300, but 1700 to lose?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited October 2015
    Kalikel wrote: »

Thanks, there seemed to be people who were strong on the don't go below or at and yea, so thank you
    Many people are under the impression that it's some kind of crime against humanity to eat less than your BMR. It can be a bad idea for some, but not all.

I don't even know my BMR. Well, nobody knows unless they're tested, but I don't even know how the math would work. I pay it no attention.

The MFP will give you good number goals if you enter your info. It will also give you extra calories for any exercise you log. :)

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    My BMR is 2300, no clue how I'll lose weight eating that?
    Mfp app puts me at a 1700 intake which is below my BMR

OP--curious since your an 18YO male with a goal of 15 pounds to lose what your stats are. Any chance you can provide them?

• iamtheboss69123
    RGv2 wrote: »

6'3 240 18Male 24%bf
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    You're the same guy who just posted a thread about aiming to lose five pounds a week so, yes, people were against you eating so low..
  • _Terrapin_
    edited October 2015
    RGv2 wrote: »

6'3 240 18Male 24%bf

Thanks OP! So how much muscle would you like to lose? Are looking to lose more than 1/2 to 1 pound a week of muscle or you going for a goal weight?

• _Terrapin_
    OP--I used a quick TDEE calculator for your benefit. I didn't enter your BF but even at a desk job you need to eat 2,869 calories for maintenance, light exercise)1-3 days of workouts) you need 3,287 and if your workout 6-7 days you need 4,124 calories to maintain your weight. So if you workout 1-3 days a week or have a job which requires movement beyond the desk you'd be eating at a deficit of about 11,000 calories weekly. BTN(by the numbers) 3287-1700=1587 X 7=11,109 caloric deficit so you'd be looking at dumping about 3 pounds per week. And, after 20 weeks of this(as an example) you dump at least 20 pounds of muscle due to the deficit and if you want the muscle back for some reason you'd have to eat a surplus and add the weight back with muscle and fat which would take quite a while(many months to get the muscle back than more months trying to dump the fat you gained back). So what exactly are you attempting to do?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Bmr sounds wrong. We would need age, height and weight to verify....
  • iamtheboss69123
    synacious wrote: »
    You're the same guy who just posted a thread about aiming to lose five pounds a week so, yes, people were against you eating so low..

Yea I'm still working with numbers to see what's best you know? Will aim for 3-4 lbs for a week, it should fall off quick and then try to stagger it while building muscle
  • iamtheboss69123
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    OP--I used a quick TDEE calculator for your benefit. I didn't enter your BF but even at a desk job you need to eat 2,869 calories for maintenance, light exercise)1-3 days of workouts) you need 3,287 and if your workout 6-7 days you need 4,124 calories to maintain your weight. So if you workout 1-3 days a week or have a job which requires movement beyond the desk you'd be eating at a deficit of about 11,000 calories weekly. BTN(by the numbers) 3287-1700=1587 X 7=11,109 caloric deficit so you'd be looking at dumping about 3 pounds per week. And, after 20 weeks of this(as an example) you dump at least 20 pounds of muscle due to the deficit and if you want the muscle back for some reason you'd have to eat a surplus and add the weight back with muscle and fat which would take quite a while(many months to get the muscle back than more months trying to dump the fat you gained back). So what exactly are you attempting to do?

Drop 10-15 lbs, tone & build muscle up