How much will one TERRIBLE day ruin things?

Options
I have stuck religiously to my diet for 5 weeks and lost 1 stone 3 lbs

Today I've been a nightmare due to a meal out and me thinking 'stuff or' for a day! I've eaten a McDonald's breakfast, a big meal out and loads of biscuits. I'm so unimpressed with myself!!!!

I feel bloated and horrible!

How much will this have wrecked my diet?

Replies

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Not terribly much. Dust yourself and move on. The discomfort you are feeling is digestive.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    ariana_eatsandlifts Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, it won't. Log it and move on. You'll probably retain a bit of water weight, but it'll come off in the next few days. Congrats on your weight loss so far.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hardly at all! You may retain a little water because of it, so ignore the scale for a bit because it lies. But get up and dust yourself off. You're human! Things happen.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Not much. It's one day, and seconding that most of the weight you notice the day or two after is water retention. Been there, done that.
  • courtcassiefit
    courtcassiefit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Its ok it happens!
    I've found that having a few treats a week helps me not binge :).
    Have some yummy vegetables tonight along with loads of water and start fresh tomorrow x
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I dare say that if you're at such an extreme calorie deficit as to average 3.4 pounds per week of weight loss, it will probably do you a bit of good to get your body a bit of extra nutrition.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    One bad day certainly won't physically derail your diet.

It's up to you whether or not you let one bad day mentally derail your diet.
  • christinasoonmrsnewton
    Options
    Thank you so much. I will dust myself off and start again tomorrow
  • christinasoonmrsnewton
    Options
    Ps I'm not on any extreme lack of calories! I'm on 1600 a day and I eat every single one of them! Haha. I'm sure the loss will slow down soon xxx
  • christinasoonmrsnewton
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

That's incredibly true and what has ruined it several times for me in the past!!!

• Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Meh, don't worry about it at all!
    Too many times in the past I've thought "Oh that's ruined things I may as well not bother"... and then stopped trying. However, this time I haven't worried in the slightest about bad days and just continued with logging and aiming to stay under where I can. It works :smile:

Each day is a new day!
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

That's incredibly true and what has ruined it several times for me in the past!!!

Think of it this way, one good day of eating won't make you super thin and fit just like one bad day won't make you lose all your progress. It's all about consistency, so like everyone said, get back up and keep going!

I usually like to give myself a cheat meal (within reason) every couple weeks just to keep my cravings at bay and not make me wanna have a binge day, so maybe try adding a couple cheat meals every few weeks :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have bad days all the time. But that's why I log... ok so I went 2000 over. That's just 4-5 days of deficit to break even. That's nothing.. I've been at this for almost 3 years! What's 4 days vs 3 years? I've lost 80 pounds and been maintaining for 16 months.

Log it. Move on.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    About as much as 1 good day makes you thin
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm having a terrible (terribly good) weekend

It's my fathers birthday celebration and I'm going to be about 2000 over maintenance each day

So I will put on about 1-2lbs

Plus sodium weight

But I'm still logging as accurately as I can

And as soon as I'm home tomorrow back on to a defecit of 500 per day so that in a couple of weeks I'm back into maintenance

Because my dad turned 95 and my family is all about the foodz and life happens
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You've got to live and find ways to fit in the odd days where you eat more (i.e. birthdays/meals out/days where your body just needs fuel). I do this by changing my goal for the day to either a smaller deficit or even 'maintenance'. This way it's kept within reason but equally if I do go over then it's not the end of the world. One day of poor choices isn't going to make my body put back on the 35.2lbs I've lost.

Take care of yourself and just take it one day at a time. ❤
  • christinasoonmrsnewton
    Options
    Oh thanks so much everyone, you've made me feel so so much better! You're so right and you've given me lots of good ideas to try :smile:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    It's still early, while this will not completely destroy your progress and ruin your efforts, if it is really worrying you, you could make time for a walk! You don't have to, but when I do this, it both settles my stomach and derails the guilty feelings:):):)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    That may be one of your best days ever if you learned anything and practice it going forward. :)