Weight loss not working

Options
ajrossa
ajrossa Posts: 24 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm allowed just over 1,400kcal to loose one pound a week.
I have stuck to it for a week and been to the gym on 4 days doing either a kettlebell or a MetaFit class.
I have been working 3 night shifts as well.
Been hungry every day ...

However I have NOT lost an ounce but gained a pound instead ...

Don't understand this

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is the AVERAGE you can expect to lose over a long term timeframe.

It does not guarantee you will lose a pound every week. As much as we would like it to be, that's not how it works.

Most likely, your body retained a bit of extra water weight to help recover from the new exercise
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Allow me to be one of many "Please give it more time before being discouraged" replies. Weight fluctuates. I can go up and down a pound or two from day to day but it doesn't worry me all that much. As for feeling hungry, make food choices that are low cal but filling. Lots of vegetables like broccoli keep you satiated while being under 100cals for a heaping plate. I used to get hungry a lot. I've trained myself better though through time and persistence. Just keep at it.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Too soon! Commit to 8-10 weeks of lifestyle change, stay off the scale if necessary, weigh your foods more religiously than you weigh your body... Then, get back to us.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    One week isn't enough time to tell whether or not it's working, especially as there will always be weeks where you maintain or gain. Keep going and if it doesn't start to drop in another 3-4 weeks, then it's time to look into what can change.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ajrossa wrote: »
    I'm allowed just over 1,400kcal to loose one pound a week.
    I have stuck to it for a week and been to the gym on 4 days doing either a kettlebell or a MetaFit class.
    I have been working 3 night shifts as well.
    Been hungry every day ...

However I have NOT lost an ounce but gained a pound instead ...

Don't understand this

Weight loss can come in bursts. You might lose nothing for weeks and then drop five pounds in two or three days. People call this a "whoosh." Don't get discouraged if you don't lose every week!

When you begin new exercise, you can put on "water weight." It's just your muscles reacting to being used and relied upon when they haven't had to do much work in a long time. This can be a couple pounds and can mask fat loss. If you keep up the exercise and keep losing, you'll start to see the weight loss on the scale.

If you don't want to be hungry, eat more fruits and veggies. You can eat SO MANY veggies for so few calories! Plus, they're very fibrous and will hang out in your stomach longer than other things, keeping you feeling fuller for a longer period of time.

Make SURE you get enough sleep. I've worked nights and I know how hard it can be, sometimes, to do that and get enough sleep. But sleep is VERY helpful for weight loss, so do your damnedest to get enough sleep.

Hang in there. Keep at it. You will lose weight and you will be thin! :)
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i gain a lb or two on a week often and go back to being a lb or two less the next and often on third & fourth week, i lost what was expected for the month or more.. you are older, lots of reasons for our weight to fluctuate up and down after our 40's..hang in there, it will pay off if you do..

also, after looking at a few days of your diary totals, you are eating almost all your burned exercise calories and that could be slowing you down too..stick to not eating back more than half.
  • ajrossa
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have noticed my abs are showing more.
    And I know my age is a factor.
    My clothes still fit but my rings are tighter and some don't even fit anymore :(

If I didn't eat the calories I burn when exercising I'd still feel hungry :)
    I do, unfortunately, get bored of eating the same frozen veg; prefer them to fresh ones
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    At first nothing happened for me either. Then I lost rapidly fot a few days.
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh now, and how much do you want to lose? Maybe you need to up the calories a bit? Make sure you're eating lots of protein, snack on fruit and veggies when you're hungry. Believe it or not you have to eat to lose.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh now, and how much do you want to lose? Maybe you need to up the calories a bit? Make sure you're eating lots of protein, snack on fruit and veggies when you're hungry. Believe it or not you have to eat to lose.

Not that OP needs to worry about adjusting her calories after only 7 days...

But if you're not losing (over the long term) - upping your calories is NEVER the correct way to solve the problem.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Keep going!!!!! Give it 4-6 weeks patience I key if you are genuinely in deficit you will lose
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat back only 50% exercise calories

Give it far more time

And

n6vfgpxakn6s.jpg
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Patience. All the more so when starting an exercise program that can cause you to retain water.
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

But if you're not losing (over the long term) - upping your calories is NEVER the correct way to solve the problem.

I figured if she's hungry then she needs to eat more. Even after just one week if you're hungry and discouraged then you're asking for trouble, possibly binge eating. This is just my opinion from experience, trial and error. I have over 80 more pounds to lose. If I had started out at 1400 calories I would have been hungry. And not losing. Never say never. :smile:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I agree that you should give it more time. I took a quick peek at your diary (just a few days). Many of your items have a weight, but several do not. Do you have a food scale? Items such as 1/2 can of beans, 2 eggs, 1 serving of nut mix, 2 slices of cheese can all have significantly different numbers of calories in them, particularly because some of these are calorie dense.

For example, this morning I had two eggs, weighing in at 76g and giving 112 calories, a few days ago my two eggs were 103g at 151 calories. While 40 calories doesn't seem like much, if you are underestimating all week, that's 280 calories. I have had cheese slices that are 21g and others that are 30g. Again, big difference. All of these little inaccuracies can completely change the outcome.

My suggestions: try being more accurate with your logging and be more patient. You can do it!

ETA: I think it's been mentioned, but increasing veg is a great way to increase the volume of your food without adding too many calories. Perhaps experiment with different types, or prepare them in different ways. I love raw cauliflower, but prefer my broccoli to be steamed with a little bit of butter.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I figured if she's hungry then she needs to eat more. Even after just one week if you're hungry and discouraged then you're asking for trouble, possibly binge eating. This is just my opinion from experience, trial and error. I have over 80 more pounds to lose. If I had started out at 1400 calories I would have been hungry. And not losing. Never say never.
    If someone isn't losing weight over the long term, eating more calories is never the answer. Never.

• ajrossa
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm 63.9kg this morning - want to be down to 60 or 61kg

Abd being from Germany I like fresh bread/rolls and sliced continental meat and cheese :)
  • ajrossa
    Options
    I'm not overweight at just under 64kg and 5'5 in height

I do weigh the food, rarely eat out and my walking calories are calculated by Runtastic.

What's MFP?