Weight loss not working

Options
2»

Replies

• ajrossa
    ajrossa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ajrossa wrote: »
    I'm allowed just over 1,400kcal to loose one pound a week.
    I have stuck to it for a week and been to the gym on 4 days doing either a kettlebell or a MetaFit class.
    I have been working 3 night shifts as well.
    Been hungry every day ...

However I have NOT lost an ounce but gained a pound instead ...

Don't understand this

When I look at your diary for this week about four days of it you were eating more like 2000 calories a day than 1400.

So I shouldn't eat the additional calories from exercise?
    Would make sense with not loosing weight ...

But I would definitely go hungry with only 1400kcal
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I guess I stand corrected. A couple of times. I guess with none of being 'experts' and not having all information (that's why I asked some questions) we're each going to offer advice based on experience and outcome. :smile:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm not overweight at just under 64kg and 5'5 in height

I do weigh the food, rarely eat out and my walking calories are calculated by Runtastic.

What's MFP?

MFP stands for My Fitness Pal. It's the website/app you're using right now.
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Her food diary tells the story. She's over eating.

Guess I should have checked out the numbers before jumping in. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm allowed just over 1,400kcal to loose one pound a week.
    I have stuck to it for a week and been to the gym on 4 days doing either a kettlebell or a MetaFit class.
    I have been working 3 night shifts as well.
    Been hungry every day ...

However I have NOT lost an ounce but gained a pound instead ...

Don't understand this

When I look at your diary for this week about four days of it you were eating more like 2000 calories a day than 1400.

So I shouldn't eat the additional calories from exercise?
    Would make sense with not loosing weight ...

But I would definitely go hungry with only 1400kcal

A few people have pointed out to only eat about half of those exercise calories. The program tends to overestimate (for many people, not everyone). By eating only half, you are providing yourself a cushion for those miscalculations.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    ESPECIALLY for us ladies, please don't count anything within a 5 pound margin. Women in particular lose and gain ALL MONTH from water weight and due to fluctuating hormones. Weigh your food, keep sticking to it, and any time you are feeling down about it, GET HERE. It's a tremendous help to have people who can talk you back UP!!!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I do weigh the food, rarely eat out and my walking calories are calculated by Runtastic.

What's MFP?

If you're not overweight, why are you trying to lose? Or did I miss something?

She is in the high range of the healthy weight ( just like me)
    So a couple of pounds less i can fully understand.

I am maintaining at the moment ( or very very small deficit for now) But i want to go to the middle of the healthy range too.

150 lbs to 111lbs is the healthy range for a "5.5 tall woman.
    She is 141lbs

95069916.png
  • caffeinatedcami
    caffeinatedcami Posts: 168 Member
    Options

What's MFP?

If you're not overweight, why are you trying to lose? Or did I miss something?

One can be in a normal weight range (according to bmi) and still want to lose weight. BMI is useful but the 'normal' range is quite broad.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    And for the OP...weigh ALL your food.

Also the nuts, bars your bread slices, etc etc
    The smaller your deficit is the more accurate you have to be.
    I have the same thing and at this point i eat some protein bars. I had now a couple that were 7 gram more than the labels says. That was 26 calories more. When i eat 3 of them a day ( which i dont but as example) that is 72 calories not calculated for. And that is only the bars!
    So with a small deficit i am on ( my guess is around 150 atm) that is almost half my deficit for that day.

So yes, weigh & log EVERYTHING and only liquid in cups and spoons. ( i do weight those too btw lol)

95069916.png
  • ajrossa
    ajrossa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Here's the response from MFP:

We have designed a program to help with healthy and sustainable weight loss. We do not recommend trying to achieve more than a 2 pound a week weight loss, nor do we recommend that women consume fewer than 1200 calories per day, or men fewer than 1500 calories. For beginning users, we do recommend eating back your calories burned via exercise.

When you set up your profile, we ask you for your age, height, weight, gender, normal daily activity level and how much weight you would like to lose/gain per week. We then use all this information and calculate it against the scientific calculation to give you your daily recommended goals. These initial goals already include a deficit to lose weight, even if you did no additional exercise. If you do exercise, then your daily totals will go up to replenish what you have burned via exercise.

Your normal average daily burn is already taken into consideration when we set up your profile. However, we do not actually take into consideration any extra exercise you do outside your normal day, until you add them to your diary under the "cardiovascular" section.

We set your nutritional target in Net Calories which we define as:

Calories Consumed (Food) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Net Calories

What that means is that if you exercise, you will be able to eat more for that day. For example, if your Net Calorie goal is 2000 calories, one way to meet that goal is to eat 2,500 calories of food, but then burn 500 calories through exercise. When your exercise calories increase, your other nutritional goals will also fluctuate to match.

Think of your Net Calories like a daily budget of calories to spend. You spend them by eating, and you earn more calories to eat by exercising. To help avoid setting your body into starvation mode, we do not recommend for any member to consume under 1200 net calories.

If you are following a guided plan from your doctor or nutritionist, we also allow an option for you to customize your own nutritional goals. You can set your own nutritional goals by following these instructions (https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/12035-can-i-customize-my-nutritional-goals-).

Our program currently only calculates calories burned via our "cardiovascular" section. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

Again, since our program does already account for the deficit and allows exercise to award more calories for the day, we would recommend trying the program as designed and see how it works for you. If you need to customize your goals beyond the options available in our standard program, please consider upgrading to MyFitnessPal Premium! http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1935024
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week, so who knows, really?

But one way to handle the exercise part (only if you exercise consistently!) is to set your activity level to include your exercise, and don't log it for its calorie burns. Log it and change the calories to '1'. Of course, if you skip your exercising, you'd need to eat less that day.

If you are like me, the first week you will feel hungry. My body lets me know I'm eating even a hundred calories less for a few days, lol. But that goes away quite soon. I'm just built to avoid famine, I think ;) It is how I can gain weight easily without noticing if I don't log. If I eat more than usual for a few days and then stop doing that, I get so hungry that I keep eating above maintenance forever if I go by my hunger signals alone. If I consistently eat a reasonable amount of calories most days of the week, I don't get hungry like that after the first week or two.