Anyone into CrossFit?

Options
Hello all,
Well, after about a year of gradually increasing exercise and better nutrition, I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. However, I'm still driving to get stronger and just a bit leaner. I started looking into cross fit programs in the area. My main concern is the toll it might take on my slightly weak knees and tendinitis prone ankles. Anyone have some stories or advice to share?
BTW - looking for friends to keep me motivated!

Replies

• coltrane23
    coltrane23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is a serious CrossFitter, and he started coaching me through some WODs at lunch a couple times a week in our office gym.

Start slow, but if you give max effort every time you will see positive results. I have a structurally weakened knee (LCL tear, fractured fibula) and I've broken my right ankle twice, all injuries in my history that left me with sore joints as I started doing CrossFit exercises (I don't belong to a gym). They hurt at first, but I'm past that now that I've lost some weight and the surrounding muscles are stronger. If you put in max effort every time, you will get stronger and you will get leaner, and it will happen very quickly.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I haven't done CrossFit yet, but I'm going to try it next Saturday (the 18th)
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be if it were available around here. It definitely appeals to me, even though I'm aware the actual crossfit programs are known for being more reckless than other forms of fitness & prone to injury. But I really like the idea of not just training for aesthetics, but getting all around fitness & performance results. I am currently doing P90X, basketball, jogging/trail running, and some workouts on bars. But I do wish I could try a real crossfit workout.

Have you looked in to doing a toughmudder course (www.toughmudder.com)? It's kind of the "mother" of obstacle & race courses. I'm doing one in January. There's also the much less intense Warrior Dash, that are mostly just a rough & dirty version of a 5K race.
  • jell52
    jell52 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have only done crossfit bootcamp that doesn't require the lifting. I am thinking of actually upgrading to crossfit next month. If I were you try contacting one of your local crossfit gyms. They may offer you a free trial workout or let you come in to observe a WOD. I also recommend if you have more than one gym nearby to look into reviews of it.
  • BananaBee3
    BananaBee3 Posts: 224
    Options
    There is a Crossfit location right down the street from my apartment...but what is Crossfit? I always just thought it was a gym, but it sounds like it's more?
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    A good CrossFit box with good trainers should be able to help you modify the workouts to the level of your fitness and you specific injury concerns. Personally, I end up modifying a lot. I use a lot less weight than most people at my gym, and I have terrible shin splints. I don't do running or things like jumping rope. My trainers work with me to come up with alternative exercises for what I can and can't do.

My suggestion is to contact a local affiliate and let them know about your concerns. Most places have a trial class or beginner class you can try (although some just have you go to their regular class if they're small enough, and you'll still get a lot of personal attention) and if they know ahead of time about your limitations, they may have come up with alternatives ahead of time.

Best of luck to you!
  • LaneyB3
    LaneyB3 Posts: 3
    Options
    Great suggestions guys. I'll definitely contact the local crossfit places and see what's offered. Thanks!
  • jell52
    jell52 Posts: 15
    Options
    Potato2, try going to youtube and googling crossfit. There are all sorts of videos on there. Most look pretty intense but a good gym will work with your fitness level.
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    I have a friend who owns one of the major crossfit gyms in my area. She and her husband are in *amazing* shape. Amazing. But it requires a level of dedication and commitment I am not willing to do. haha. I'd rather be in not-so-amazing shape thankyouverymuch.
  • BananaBee3
    BananaBee3 Posts: 224
    Options
    Potato2, try going to youtube and googling crossfit. There are all sorts of videos on there. Most look pretty intense but a good gym will work with your fitness level.

Thanks! Will do!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    There are a number of crossfit participants on this thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/249784-palelo-support-group?page=10
  • LaneyB3
    LaneyB3 Posts: 3
    Options
    Lulusmom: Haha - good point :)
  • PowersFit79
    Options
    I've been doing crossfit since December 2010. I love it. It's intense but any one can do it. If you have a good coach he/she should be able to adjust the workout to any injury you may have. Everyone over the age of 25 that's done any kind of activities has some sort of injury or ailment they have to watch for when working out. You know your limit, I say go for it!
  • studswife
    studswife Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been crossfiting for since Dec. 2011. I love it! Nothing is more miserable then the workouts, but it's soooo awesome! I'm always amazed by the workout I just did and always look forward to going!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I did crossfit at a crossfit gym for about a year. I loved the group bonding and the challenging and ever changing workouts...

BUT, I would be concerned about doing it with an acute or chronic injury. I went to a fairly "low key" gym, but crossfit gyms are generally very intense (many have "puke buckets") and there is significant pressure to push you beyond your limits. I did modify some of the exercises, but keep in mind that you have the coaches timing the workout and marking down who finishes first, second, etc. It is a very competitive environement (in a friendly way... but still).

I recommend getting a personal trainer (versus group classes) who can give you the attention you need to overcome your injuries. make sure your form is spot on, and target your strength training to prevent injuries in the future and get you the results you are looking for. Many trainers (including the one I work with) use kettebells and do similar moves (turkish getups, wall balls, renegade rows, etc) and can do interval training with you, if that is what you are looking for.

Good luck!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    At 34 years old in the best shape I have ever been in my life (even when I played hockey in my 20's) thanks to Crossfit for the last 8 months. LOVE IT!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    There's a CF community thread on MFP that can be found here. Basically we share our WOD's and some nutrition.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/241563-community-for-crossfitters-by-crossfitters-anyone-interes

I've been crossfitting a year now. I love this workout, nothing like it. my endurance improved dramatically and strength you cannot even imagine. My scale hasn't moved much, maybe about 20 pounds, but it's body composition that matters and I love the way I look... Heck, I may even wear a bikini on vacation! (Huge NSV considering I was almost 200lbs)

Nice thing about CF is YES, everyone, including YOU can do this. All WOD's (workout of the day) are scalable, so if you are having trouble doing something, they will find another exercise that will focus on the same muscle group, but work you differently. The camaraderie is something you will never get a a globo-gym and everyone is supportive of you at all levels.