Newbie Needs a lil help!!!

Options
Hello,
I am about a week into the MFP, I like it so far. This is my first post and t:frown he one thing I dont understand is the Net Calories, Calories Burned, and the deficit. Okay MFP allows me to consume 1200 calories a day and my deficit is 900. My Fitness calories burned in a week is 2280 (which is 456 calories a day). If I go to the gym and workout, input my worout info into MFP, my numbers change. Can someone please explain to me am I suppose to eat more calories to bring my number back up to 1200???

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    They add what you burned so now you can eat that much more. It is great. it is bonus food. lol
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    yea, i always have to think of it like salary and taxes, i ate 2000cals, i burned 500 cals so, while my gross is 2000 my net is 1500, so if my daily allowance is 2000 i can eat another 500cals, not sayin its best to do, never just stick to a number dont over eat if your not hungry but keep in mind there is a such thing as under eating
  • Nique1986
    Nique1986 Posts: 23
    Options
    okay so if I consume all 1200 and lets say I burn 350 during my workout, will I have to consume the calories to get back to 1200??
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    whatever u work off gets added to calories u can have for the day....as ChantalGG says... Bonus food! :-p

u dont want to go under the 1200, dont deprive your body too many calories... it'll begin to more do more harm as it will go into starvation mode and hold on the weight rather than use it.
  • katiebeebe
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing also. It seems like silly to have to eat back what you just burned but does that help you loose more so you dont go into starvation mode? Im new to this also!
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    okay so if I consume all 1200 and lets say I burn 350 during my workout, will I have to consume the calories to get back to 1200??
    Yes.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing also. It seems like silly to have to eat back what you just burned but does that help you loose more so you dont go into starvation mode? Im new to this also!

riight... thats what i understand about it :)
  • ChantalGG
    Options

Yep. So if you dont eat it back you body will only be getting 850 to function on. Just try to give your body 1000. I like to keep mine at 1200.
  • Hernandezedw
    Options

Yes. Though starvation mode takes quite a while to actually kick in. Not just a day.
  • flawedandfabulous
    Options
    You don't have to if you are not hungry, but you don't want to really undercut the 1200 calories a day thing too much. When your daily calorie intake is supposed to be over 1200 then it isn't such a big deal to not "eat back" your exercise calories. But when your target is 1200, which mine is too, you don't want undercut the 1200 a day because then you are depriving your body of vital nutrients that it requires and it will go into starvation mode and eat your muscle instead of fat. So if your calorie goal was 1400 a day and you burned 400 then you can technically eat 1800 calories that day and your net would be 1400. If you only consumed the 1400 and let the 400 your burned stay burned you would be fine. It is just that 1200 a day is the absolute lowest a day anyone should be and be healthy.
  • ChantalGG
    Options
    if you didnt limit your calories and just exercised, you dont have to eat it all back unless you go too low like under 1000 calories.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    T
  • sweetmeka238
    Options
    Good question!

I'm new here to, about a week in as well. I have used some of the extra calories a couple times, but I try not to eat anything extra unless I'm really hungry to keep my calories consumed low. Idk, I'll keep reading for clarity.
  • tgbz86
    tgbz86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you eat what you burned....you're just maintaining the weight (unless you severely cut down your caloric intake [the 1200 cals] from what you normally eat). I suggest you eat HALF of what you burn. That way you replenish your body, but you don't over eat. Also don't forget that what MFP says you 'burn' is just an estimate, based on the average adult...it could be over or under what you actually burn. Personally, I try to stay within the 1200 regardless of what my exercise deficit is. If it was a hard workout, I eat 1/2 of what I burned. Ex: If I had a 5mile run (approx. 500cals) and lifted for 30 min (approx. 150-200 cals) I will only eat an extra 200-300calories.
  • Nique1986
    Options
    Thanks Everyone, I think I am understanding it; whatever I do dont go under 1200, if I eat 1200 and burn then I will have to eat to get back up to 1200.
  • Nique1986
    Options
    If you eat what you burned....you're just maintaining the weight (unless you severely cut down your caloric intake [the 1200 cals] from what you normally eat). I suggest you eat HALF of what you burn. That way you replenish your body, but you don't over eat. Also don't forget that what MFP says you 'burn' is just an estimate, based on the average adult...it could be over or under what you actually burn. Personally, I try to stay within the 1200 regardless of what my exercise deficit is. If it was a hard workout, I eat 1/2 of what I burned. Ex: If I had a 5mile run (approx. 500cals) and lifted for 30 min (approx. 150-200 cals) I will only eat an extra 200-300calories.

I want to lose not maintain. I workout for 60 minuts a day (30-40 on cardio and the rest strength training), I should be buring 456 calories a day, so since my intake is 1200 and I burn 456 in a workout should I be consuming the 456 after my workout to get to the 1200 new calories?
  • Nique1986
    Options
    I want to lose not maintain. I workout for 60 minuts a day (30-40 on cardio and the rest strength training), I should be buring 456 calories a day, so since my intake is 1200 and I burn 456 in a workout should I be consuming the 456 after my workout to get to the 1200 new calories?
    [/quote]
    Let me correct myself, I dont worout everyday, I workout 4-5 times a week
  • Hernandezedw
    Options

I'd try to consume it prior to the workout.
  • Nique1986
    Options
    [/quote]

So you suggest to go over my calories consumed, then after the workout I wouldnt have to eat becasue i worked off the calories to bring me down to 1200? My deficit is 900, so what does that mean?
  • Nique1986
    Options

So you suggest to go over my calories consumed, then after the workout I wouldnt have to eat becasue i worked off the calories to bring me down to 1200? My deficit is 900, so what does that mean?