How do I change my daily step goal?

Options
On the home screen of the MFP app, it shows my daily step goal as 10,000. How do I change that?

Replies

• chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can, which is strange

Does that mean that it presumes that you are only doing 10000 steps per day and working out the calories based on that assumption?
  • lovechattys
    lovechattys Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do you track your steps with an activity tracker?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If your steps are being tracked with an activity tracker, I believe you have to change the goal in your trackers settings.
    Example:
    My Fitbit step goal is 12,000.
    My MFP step progress bar shows 12,000 as my goal.
  • amolak6130
    amolak6130 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried the above solution with Samsung active watch and it didn't work
  • kathleen4411
    kathleen4411 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same issue I changed my steps goal in Samsung Health app/Galaxy watch, and it's supposed to sync with MFP, but MFP goal stays at 10,000
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,350 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a way to change the step goal on MFP, I've always seen it at 10000, no matter what my goal was in my Garmin app.
  • Greggle69
    Greggle69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eight years since this was first brought up and it remains source of demotivation that I cannot set the goal for a lower target in order to account for my own restrictions. Is anyone at MFP monitoring this forum?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Greggle69 wrote: »
    Eight years since this was first brought up and it remains source of demotivation that I cannot set the goal for a lower target in order to account for my own restrictions. Is anyone at MFP monitoring this forum?

Typically no. The admins don’t monitor this section of the forum.

I also barely get 400 steps most days.
    I have my Apple Fitness goal set to the minimum move, exercise, and stand goals (10 calories of movement, 5 minutes of exercise, and 6 hours of standing for one minute solid every day) and even then I occasionally struggle to close all three rings.
    And don’t even get me started with Apple’s habit of assigning a monthly fitness goal with zero input from the user. Because no Mr Cook, I will not ever be going out on a ten mile run. It’s just not possible.

I get it. Not being able to set these things for our own specific needs can make it feel like the entire diet and fitness world just doesn’t see us at all.

Since the newsfeed is going away, I would like to invite you to join this group.
    It’s still relatively small, but I’m hoping once there are enough people it will be a hopping destination to discuss everything related to diet, exercise, and disability.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141248-disability-chronic-illness-fitness-and-weight-management-we-are-here-we-can-do-this

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    Greggle69 wrote: »

No. If you have suggestions, post them in this area:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/feature-suggestions-and-ideas

The MFP staff do read that area, and sometimes respond. They don't read every post in the whole MFP Community: There are just too many.

FWIW, I don't have a step goal showing on my dashboard in the app. I think that's because I don't have a fitness tracker synced to MFP. I wonder if the person is right who posted earlier in the thread, suggesting that step goals are set in the tracker, not in MFP.

FYI, The relevant section of my app dashboard looks like this, with no tracker synced:

axz9ojeg839t.png
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I need to revise my opinion but it’s more than an hour after I posted the earlier comment, and I don’t want to bother the admins so, here’s the scoop!

IT IS POSSIBLE TO CHANGE YOUR STEPS GOAL!

The adjustment is on the MFP side so I assume it will work with any step counter that synchronizes with MFP.

My step counter after I re-synced it to MFP
    mz4xthbvhm6q.jpeg
    9slt4w27w1ia.jpeg

I’m on my iPhone app. Not sure if it will look the same for others…. But click those three dots in the bottom left, then select Steps
    t9117ptufdnu.jpeg

And change the daily step goal to suit your needs
    9n8lvwyduro1.jpeg

SUCCESS!
    yqlm9vbjqrvi.jpeg

So, thank you @Greggle69 for asking this question. It got me thinking, and helped me solve my issue with step tracking here. I hope my photos are useful for you.