Any ideas to replace salt as a seasoning?

Options
I like my food really salty. Unfortunately, I'm getting to the age where I really need to control that. I'm doing good counting my calories and exercising, but I'm just not enjoying food as much without seasoned salt, garlic salt, soy sauce, etc. I tried Mrs. Dash but it's just not doing it for me. Any ideas?

Replies

• ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    If you have a trader joes by you they have an amazing herb blend seasoning called 21 seasoning salute and its awesome on everything from salads to meats and grilled veggies and potatos--best of all there is no salt in it :)
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have a few of the diff Mrs Dash flavors and they are ok but don't float my boat. I also tried a Morton salt substitute that I'm underwhelmed with. I'd be interested to hear other ideas as well.

Why of why is salt so darn good? lol
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, years ago I just used more black pepper, I use it exclusively now. It took awhile but I'm glad I made the change.
  • tgbz86
    tgbz86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like: garlic powder, herbs, lemon (squeezed), vinegar (cider or white), a little margarine, parm cheese
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I use a combo on garlic, onion, and pepper. With all of those strong flavors together you don't need the salt :-)
  • LaurieBLouise
    LaurieBLouise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    mrs dash table blend, cant get enough.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Also...a little cheese goes a long way. Sometimes (if it fits the meal) I add a tsp of grated cheese or feta and it really adds a ton of flavor
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash and don't mind it, but my mother was telling me about something called NuSalt the other day. I really want to try that.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sea salt is lower sodium - that may help.

Certain veggies are good when steamed with lemon juice instead of salt - brocolli and carrots are good this way. Potatoes - not so much.

Edited - sea salt is NOT lower - but less processed - sorry
  • tiffany_reis
    Options
    I like McCormick... but it doesn't say on the bottle if there is salt in it... so no clue. But it makes my veggie patties taste sinful!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Do you like spicey? I use ALOT of black pepper and my new favorite is :chipotle chili powder. Sometimes lemon or vinegar can sort of give the illusion of salty taste - might be worth a shot.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash makes a ton of different seasonings and they are all good!
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Aside from the standard Mrs Dash (which I use) you can get something called Also Salt. It's potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride but is essentially salt.
  • bltmgray
    bltmgray Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I use Adobe. It's first ingrediant is salt, but it has other things in it and it gives food a great flavor. My family loves it!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I like vinegar where you can use it. Really though, it just takes some time for your taste buds to adjust. Don't cut it out completely, just taper it back. Start by not using it to cook and just season at the end. Add other flavors and then tweak with salt if/when you need to. Eventually you'll get to where you don't salt much - at least I have, and I used to salt everything!

Good luck. It can be done, you just have to transition.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Sea salt is a lot better for you if you have to have salt. I usually use pepper more now.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    * Mrs. Dash makes no salt marinades that I find are better than the dry herbs.

* Garlic, Onion, celery powder [not celery salt]

* Jane's crazy mixed up salt

* Cooking wine

* Crushed red pepper flakes

* Lemon

* Vinegar [depending on recipe [Added bonus: hot peppers, lemon, cinnamon & vinegar supposedly up your metabolism. I put cinnamon on my oatmeal and/or in coffee mornings, vinegar with salad dressing mid day, and lemon in water any time of day.]

Like another poster said, I used more black pepper and weaned myself nearly off salt altogether. Depending on the recipe, lemon really works for me!!

Good Luck!
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I use all sorts of herbs and spices but when I want something to just be salt I use NuSalt. Like on my eggs, popcorn, corn...

It isn't exactly like salt but it is close enough to enjoy!
  • snappy45
    snappy45 Posts: 7
    Options
    If you salt one item in your meal then use herbs and spices on everything else , then as you switch between bites everything tastes better and your overall salt intake is much lower.
  • 90210UK
    90210UK Posts: 81
    Options
    bump bump bump bump bump BUMP...................... :)

Hi I'm Laura and I'm a salt addict :(