Having trouble keeping feet flat during squats

Options
summerdaze120
summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So when I do "regular" squats I am able to keep my feet flat on the ground, but when I try to go deeper with the squat, like a goblet squat, I always go up on my toes and can't seem to keep my feet on the ground. Any tips/advice? Am I squatting wrong? I try to lean back on my heels, but I literally feel like I am going to fall backwards.

Thanks

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Generally that indicates ankle mobility issues. A temporary fix is to put 10 pound plates under your heels. You could also invest in some lifting shoes with a raised heel. Ankle mobility work will help.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Why is there a difference in depth in your squats? A full depth squat is when the hip joint is below the top of the patella. Depth between Olympic lifter and powerlifting squats exist but that is form following function.

But it likely means you lack mobility and are falling forward because of that. It can be caused by ankle, hip, hamstring, or back flexibility or dysfunction. It would be helpful if you posted a video of you squating. It would allow people on here to help diagnose where your issue is and how to go about correcting it.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    Why is there a difference in depth in your squats? A full depth squat is when the hip joint is below the top of the patella. Depth between Olympic lifter and powerlifting squats exist but that is form following function.

But it likely means you lack mobility and are falling forward because of that. It can be caused by ankle, hip, hamstring, or back flexibility or dysfunction. It would be helpful if you posted a video of you squating. It would allow people on here to help diagnose where your issue is and how to go about correcting it.

There are training programs that require more depth out of the squat assistance work, like goblet squats. There's nothing wrong with her having different depths for different squats.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

There are training programs that require more depth out of the squat assistance work, like goblet squats. There's nothing wrong with her having different depths for different squats.

That was not a what is wrong with you question, I just wanted to understand why she was doing different depths on different exercises.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I try to lean back on my heels, but I literally feel like I am going to fall backwards.

People with long thighs can feel like they're going to tips backwards. Would that be you? If so, taking a wider stance can help.

• scottver2
    scottver2 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As above, try taking a wider stance and improve your hip flexibility. I used to experience the same thing, and those two things helped me a lot.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    post a video, often times bad form will make you shift onto your toes.
  • summerdaze120
    Options

That was not a what is wrong with you question, I just wanted to understand why she was doing different depths on different exercises.

Quads vs Hammies and Glutes
  • summerdaze120
    Options
    Generally that indicates ankle mobility issues. A temporary fix is to put 10 pound plates under your heels. You could also invest in some lifting shoes with a raised heel. Ankle mobility work will help.

What would you recommend to increase ankle mobility?
  • summerdaze120
    Options
    scottver2 wrote: »
    As above, try taking a wider stance and improve your hip flexibility. I used to experience the same thing, and those two things helped me a lot.

Any exercises to increase hip flexibility?
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcw4HXnH-8E
  • summerdaze120
    Options
    I'll start walking the beach for 10 minutes.
  • Backagainbbg340
    Backagainbbg340 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    How bout decreasing the weight when your form goes bad?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I agree. I've never been able to squat all the way down with flat feet, even as a kid. I don't know if it's something everyone can change to a huge extent. I like the plates under your heels solution.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    How bout decreasing the weight when your form goes bad?

She's using a kettle bell. It's not a weight issue, it's a mobility issue when she goes deeper.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    maybe some TRX squats to get the mobility and form down
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The trick to a good squat is being able to lift toes NOT your heels (so say two of my PT buddies who like to correct my form whenever they can) ;)

While a plate under the heel is a good temporary fix, it will act as a crutch and prevent you from performing squats correctly. You may have weak glutes and over-lengthened hamstrings (posterior needs more work). Could add into a routine glute bridges and planks to strengthen. That is ONE potential reason but like one poster said if you could show your form in a squat it would make determining the reason (and thus the solution) easier.

Maybe too much weight? What is your kettlebell weight and can you swap down some kg to smaller one to see if that helps? Ultimately if your form is bad, try doing it without weight to practice form and depth.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    The trick to a good squat is being able to lift toes NOT your heels (so say two of my PT buddies who like to correct my form whenever they can) ;)

While a plate under the heel is a good temporary fix, it will act as a crutch and prevent you from performing squats correctly. You may have weak glutes and over-lengthened hamstrings (posterior needs more work). Could add into a routine glute bridges and planks to strengthen. That is ONE potential reason but like one poster said if you could show your form in a squat it would make determining the reason (and thus the solution) easier.

Maybe too much weight? What is your kettlebell weight and can you swap down some kg to smaller one to see if that helps? Ultimately if your form is bad, try doing it without weight to practice form and depth.

She's still doing regular squats with a barbell with no issue, so it's not weight related.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Are you barbell squatting without issue? Back or front squat?

I would agree that you may need to work on your posterior chain.

Post a video. Or, at least, film your moves so you can determine a probable solution.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

More deep squats! My ankles have improved through doing more squats. Mine were pretty badly blocked with only 2-3 degrees flexion but I can go a bit deeper now. I had to have a wider stance to start with and turn my toes out a bit - as long as your knees track over your toes you won't hurt yourself.