Need help - activity calories

Options
Good day everyone!

I have my calories set to 1300 to lose 1.5lbs per week. I weigh 203 and am 5'4". I can be fairly active when outside work, but mostly it's around the house stuff that adds up the "exercise calories."

My friend said we shouldn't really count these as they are just a bonus and we will lose faster if we essentially ignore them. Can someone explain, in the simplest way possible (as if you're talking to someone really dense, because some of this math makes me feel like I'm in 9th grade algebra again - not pretty I assure you), which is the best way to lose. I lost 17lbs last year, but got lazy and slacked and it all came back.

I need to get this weight off and would be happy at 160-170, but look very good at 145.

Thanks.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    When you input your data to have MFP calculate the 1300 daily goal, what activity setting did you choose (ie sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, etc).

I would consider outside work, house cleaning, etc as part of my daily routine and account for it in my activity setting. My feeling is that if you occasionally have a particularly active day, you also probably have some days where you're below normal activity too.

The only thing I would adjust my daily calorie goals for is intentional exercise I do above and beyond my normal day-to-day activities.
  • TheBizarb
    TheBizarb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I picked sedentary to play it safe, since the house stuff doesn't always rack up a lot of calories (some days I can get almost 10,000 steps others not many).

So should we include the extra calories added in (via FitBit) or ignore them?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Me, personally, I do not log cooking, cleaning, dishes, yard/pool maintenance. The only exercise I log is exercise done for the purpose of doing it. I'll log walks and swims...but if I'm sitting in the pool and reading a magazine, that doesn't count.

I've had people on my friends list who log every single thing! Even sleep! They want to see what they're burning and if the logs match up with what they think they're using up. I don't get that into it.

Daily stuff, not logged. Exercise, logged.
  • TheBizarb
    TheBizarb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything, but my FitBit automatically adds calories to my total of I've done a lot (so if I walked XX steps it gives more calories to eat).
  • margauxmilchen
    margauxmilchen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I never log unless I swim. fitbit does it all.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    TheBizarb wrote: »
    I don't log anything, but my FitBit automatically adds calories to my total of I've done a lot (so if I walked XX steps it gives more calories to eat).
    I see! ...said the blind man.

I wouldn't eat all of those back. If it was around-the-house stuff, I'd eat none of it. This is one case where I have to side with the person saying you shouldn't eat it back. Usually, I'm all for eating exercising calories, though.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    TheBizarb wrote: »

If your FitBit is adjusting, I would just let it do it's thing. Give it a month, and reassess if it is working for you. If you find that you are moving around a lot more on a daily basis, you can change your activity level, which will give you a slightly higher daily base calorie limit, and see what happens.
  • fattgrlneeds2bthin
    fattgrlneeds2bthin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat what calories fit bit adds some people only eat half. :)