Do you plan on counting calories for the rest of your life?

Options

Replies

• andersent01
    andersent01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi.I am new to the calorie thing. I have started to use MFP, but notice that my daily calorie intake is 1200 without any fitness. Is this the minumum I should be aiming for.? Cheers
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I will probably count forever. It's a drag but most preventative things are, that's life.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    With intermittent breaks, likely yes.
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    At this point, yea, but I am only about halfway to goal weight. I may change my mind after a few months on maintenance. For now, though, it really is a huge help to me and doesn't actually take all that much time to do. MFP really does make it pretty easy.
    I am a little nervous about moving into maintenance, actually, as the losing process can be quite addicting and you have clearly defined physical goals to work toward. I'll have to make some new goals for maintenance or I will find myself gaining weight again.
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    After years and years of counting, I do it without realizing it. If not 100% all of the time, then most. Also I know right away when I get off track and how to get back on without spiraling downward into something that's harder to bounce back from. :)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    If I have to then I will. I'd rather count calories for the rest of my life than end up at 204 pounds again.
  • KourtneyChristine
    KourtneyChristine Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am teaching myself and reprogramming my brain to listen to my body. That way I don't have to log forever. It's all about mindfulness
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    If that's what it takes never to look like THIS again, I'll do it gladly. But different strokes...
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    For now, I see myself logging and counting calories forever. I'm cool with that idea if that is what it takes to keep the weight off. I truly don't mind it, it is just a habit now.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories for 6 months, and I don't see myself stopping unless a miracle happens and I become a mathematical genius.
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    No, I won't count calories for the rest of my life. I will, however, weigh myself at least once a month for the rest of my life once I have maintained my goal range for a few months and take action if needed. I have a hammer, but I don't feel the need to bang in every nail that I see. Calorie counting is also a tool, and I won't feel the need to count them unless they need counting to get me back on track.

My plan is similar to this. I've maintained my weight (a few kilos overweight) for years, so I hope to just calibrate myself to a new setpoint.
    Once I reach my goal weight I'll weigh myself a couple of times a month, if I reach a 'warning' level (~2kg over my goal) I'll give myself a week or two to reign myself in and start seeing it go down, and if that doesn't work, I'll start tracking again.
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    To my shame I've turned into a yo yo dieter.
    I find it easy to stick to healthy eating and working out, and I find it easy to eat junk.
    I can't maintain.
    For me this time round,I plan to weigh myself often and only start logging when I'm too heavy.
    Got to get to goal weight first though.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I suspect I will always count calories. The iPhone app makes it so easy and it's part of my daily routine now. As is brushing my teeth, shaving, etc.
  • DaleCannard
    DaleCannard Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's a tough question, I can't see myself stopping in the foreseeable future as it works really well for me
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I plan to count calories for the rest of my life, yep!! It's worth the few minutes it takes to log for me. I cannot be trusted around food if unaccountable I would over eat every day, for sure

me too, for the same reason.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    No, I plan to stay within a 5 kilo weight range, and if I go above or below will count calories until I'm back in the middle of the range. I hope this isn't too often
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is the new norm. The only difference that I see will be the amount of calories.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am so prone to over-eating mindlessly, that I'll probably have to stick to weekly weigh-ins and calorie counting. But I'm happy that I already know this much...
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I plan to count calories for the rest of my life, yep!! It's worth the few minutes it takes to log for me. I cannot be trusted around food if unaccountable I would over eat every day, for sure

Also this is literally what my life is like!
  • sgfoster110
    sgfoster110 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, I plan on keep track of my exercise and calories at least for now. It keeps me accountable. It has worked well for me in maintaining my weight and fitness. I can't see changing that. I don't want to be the one who is like a yo yo. I want to maintain and look good all the time.