How did you commit to weightloss?

Options

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    When I started, I didn't have a doctor tell me I needed to lose weight. I realised that in the course of a few years I had slowly put on 10kgs as I came out of puberty (high metabolism) and started settling into my adult metabolism. I bought food, did some meal preparation and started the next day (was already past dinner at that point). I never had failed "i'll start tomorrow" so when I said to my mother (who has been "starting tomorrow" for most of my life) that I was starting the next day, she was shocked when I actually did.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    When I was miserable everyday. When my knees hurt everyday. When I could barely move without being in pain. When I felt that I had no control over my health. When I turned 45 and was fed up
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    When I was miserable everyday. When my knees hurt everyday. When I could barely move without being in pain. When I felt that I had no control over my health. When I turned 45 and was fed up

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Left the doctor's office. Sat in the car. Said screw this. Downloaded MapMyWalk, MFP, and a few others. Went home, read about weight loss. Lost the weight.

:smiley: You rock.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    For me, it was a finding out a friend who'd lost 50 kg and kept it off for two years wasn't a mathematical genius with her calorie counting and learning she was using MFP to make calorie counting easier.

I thought, "Science! New! Shiny!", and signed up, and was instantly hooked. 6 months later I've lost 22 kg.
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to lose weight for a while.
    I was going to be travelling for 6 weeks, so I decided I would make a serious go of it when I got back and to use the 6 weeks to concentrate on eating more vegetables. And while I was gone my friend recommended MFP so I joined up and lucked into a challenge starting the next day (3 weeks ago). So far so good; apart from today... :/
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    There's nothing like a Doctor telling you that "you're a heart attack waiting to happen" to give you motivation to lose weight!!
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am usually an all or nothing kinda girl. Go all in with exercise and calorie restriction. This last time I was sick so I couldn't exercise. I just focused on my calories. At first I was over everyday but now I stay within my allotment. And started running again. But I find that just focusing on my portions in the beginning and not relying on exercise calories to help me out really helped put me in control.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Without realizing it at the time I took baby steps.

I first worked on my fitness. All I could do at the time is walk slowly so that's what I did. As I got into better shape I tried different workouts and discovered what I liked and what I didn't like.

Then on the hardest part for me...my nutrition. I slowly started incorporating veggies and greens, then I worked on reducing my portion sizes and the amount sweets I used to eat.

Later on I slowly made the switch from drinking soda, store-bought juices and alcohol to water and unsweetened tea. My taste buds eventually changed and I got used to eating/drinking this way.

Also I started soaking in information from health and fitness books from the library, forums and sciency things about weight/fat loss online.

Before I knew it, I got into a groove and found a good, comfortable balance between exercising moderately and eating healthy while still incorporating treats here and there.

Everyday wasn't a good day and I lost the majority of my weight somewhat slower, but I stayed the course and things stuck. I steadily lost weight and inches and I've kept 80 lbs off for 2 and a half years.

I never had a goal weight (I did have a dream measurement range/dress size however) and I didn't lose weight for an event or had medical issues etc. I was just tired. And determined.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My turning point was when the Nephrologist said to me, " I think the pain you are feeling in your flank is due to the extra weight!". I bought a pair of new sneeks on the way home and started. Of course, the pain was not from the extra weight and caused by a 22mm kidney stone the nephrologist "missed".
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I had the goal of losing weight for years, but my wake up call push came from seeing pictures of myself with friends where I had done my best to look "thin" (spanx in the summer, yep) which made me realized there was no hiding it from myself or others. And yet, that was all just the ignition. Anyone can decide to lose weight. It's the decision to do what it takes to lose weight that is trickier.

My decision to lose weight and to sticking with it came from logging in one full day and then another and then 10 days and then 30 and then having a goal of logging in one full year (which I recently did). After a few weeks of seeing the relationship between complete, honest logging and losing weight, I was hooked. It was no longer mysterious to me what I had to do. I was also inspired by so many MFP people who had lost a lot of weight and I would read everything I could about how they had done it. The people who inspire me the most do very reasonable things to lose weight. Their stories gave me the confidence to keep going and made me realize you don't have to be perfect or have a loss every single week to be successful.
  • LowCoffinLucifie
    LowCoffinLucifie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    When do people change? When the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing.

Love that quite there
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    MandyQ1972 wrote: »
    Now that I've joined I keep thinking "I'll start tomorrow". What steps did you take to begin and how did you stay focused?

I randomly joined MFP on a Wednesday afternoon in the middle of the month about a year ago because I was tired of being left behind when walking with my family and getting out of breath climbing stairs. I entered my stats and activity level and just went with the calorie goal MFP gave me. I started logging food the day after I joined MFP and have logged every day since. Most days I have pre-logged my food.
    I started reading on the forums and got some friends and that inspires me.
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just woke up one morning and thought "that's it, I've had it. I'm not stopping until I feel I'm done."

Never dieting before. Never been as big as I was at the start of the year before (and never will be again if I have any say in it). I don't actually find the weight loss process that difficult or depriving as I found something that really works for me, but if it was I'd tell myself it's not as tough as all the depressive thoughts, aches and low self esteem when I was bigger.

Oh and I've thrown out any clothing bigger than a UK size 12. So if I do gain weight, then I have to go out nude (not a pleasant thought. and I don't exactly relish the thought of being arrested for indecent exposure so guess I'll be stuck being smaller lol).
  • solnapug
    solnapug Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had surgery scheduled. Anesthesia scares me so to make me a bit less likely to die on the table I decided to lose some weight. After surgery I just continued what I had started. A few months later I added strength training and got back to twice weekly deep water running. I'm in better shape now - and 58 pounds lighter - than I have been in decades. My only regret is not doing this sooner.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    for me, the impetus for change was seeing myself in pictures that were so unflattering. I realized, "that's exactly what I look like". It took a couple more weeks for me to decide on a course of action. I hired a personal trainer who worked with me on fitness and tweaking my diet. I've slowly made over my lifestyle and it keeps me committed. I love this new body (although I still have another 25-30 pounds to go). I love wearing a size 16 (started at a size 22 at 243 pounds).
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Pure vanity. Looking at pictures that no amount of cropping was going to fix. I knew I had some huge events, and trips coming up and wanted to look at the pictures and be proud of the way I looked in them.
    Its shallow but it worked!
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I was sick and tired of looking like this. My weight kept going up and I was tired all the time. Last year I made a commitment to myself that this year was gonna be the year that I start making changes to not only look better, but feel better. Finding this app has helped me be more accountable for what I eat. Although I've lost 40 lbs so far, I only wish I found this app when I first started my journey.