Best Races To Sign Up For (newbie runner)

Options
I'm looking for some Races to sign up for. I don't have an exact distance in mind yet so I'd love some suggestions. Right now the only race I've seen is the Tiffany locket half marathon... Which I think is a year from now.

For some history about me. I think I'm in decent shape. I don't run at all but I'm hoping to change that. (By signing up for Races I'd have a distinct goal go hit.) I'd imagine I could run a 5K without stopping with about two weeks of training. I play tennis at a national level, but that's more sprinting, not long distances.

Any other suggestions on how to get started are also welcome.

Replies

• tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do the c25k or some program to start working on your running if you need real time feedback (it tells you when to walk/jog/run). Sign up for a 5k a couple months away. The color runs are national and a fun time with supportive people so that would be a good type of run to do. For motivation you could look for runs that have after-run social events.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Erinkidd01 wrote: »
    I'm looking for some Races to sign up for. I don't have an exact distance in mind yet so I'd love some suggestions. Right now the only race I've seen is the Tiffany locket half marathon... Which I think is a year from now.

For some history about me. I think I'm in decent shape. I don't run at all but I'm hoping to change that. (By signing up for Races I'd have a distinct goal go hit.) I'd imagine I could run a 5K without stopping with about two weeks of training. I play tennis at a national level, but that's more sprinting, not long distances.

Any other suggestions on how to get started are also welcome.

It's an international site. There are a lot of great races worldwide. It might help to narrow it down if you mention where you are and how far you are willing to travel for a race.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Another option is virtual races if there are not a lot of local races in your area. I typically complete one virtual race a month and would like to work my way up to a half marathon by this time next year.
  • Erinkidd01
    Erinkidd01 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I live in southern California, but I don't mind traveling s bit to get to Races if they are awesome. The Disney Races are near me. Has anyone done one of those?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If you think you can do a 5K with a couple of weeks of training, then enter one.

Personally my preference is for half marathons and you should be easily able to get from where you are now to that in a year. In theory you could get there in about six months.

Again it's personal but the idea of the big corporate events where the race is secondary to the entertainment strike me as absolute purgatory. I prefer trail races with a short field of 100-500 runners.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    As written above, based on your current fitness level you can easily get HM ready pretty quick. I went from the couch to my first half in 8 months.

If you don't do a lot of sprinting right now it'll be more about finding your long run pacing than anything else. I agree with the approach of signing up for a smaller local 5k in the near future. That'll give you some race day experience - running with the crowds, not shooting out to fast, race day logistics, etc.
  • Erinkidd01
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. My goal is to run the Nike Women's Half Marathon next year, which is usually in October in San Fransisco. So that gives me a year to train. I'm hoping to find other races before then of course so I can get used to running in races and stay motivated.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx I found this website and it updates quite frequently, so many different lengths and types of races.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/Default.aspx I found this website and it updates quite frequently, so many different lengths and types of races.

This is how I found the races I've done in the US, including the Griffith Park half marathon. Which is a great race but not exactly what I would consider newbie friendly.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Rock n Roll HM in San Diego is June 5th. I ran it in May and I'm 99% sure I will be back again next year. It is also one of Team in Training's signature races. You could join up with them, get trained by real coaches, and raise some money for a good cause.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Our area has several 5ks around the holidays "jingle bell 5k" etc. SoCal weather also lends itself to running then, so be on the lookout.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
  • mandymay01
    mandymay01 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Ive been to a color dash. Soooo much fun. Family and pet friendly
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    parkrun.org.
    free,social and timed local 5k races.
    pre register online to print out a barcode to get official timing emails.
  • Erinkidd01
    Options

This is how I found the races I've done in the US, including the Griffith Park half marathon. Which is a great race but not exactly what I would consider newbie friendly.

I can only imagine how difficult a race at Griffith park is. Just walking to the observator, I was beat.
  • Erinkidd01
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Rock n Roll HM in San Diego is June 5th. I ran it in May and I'm 99% sure I will be back again next year. It is also one of Team in Training's signature races. You could join up with them, get trained by real coaches, and raise some money for a good cause.

What's Team in Training?
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I started my running by working my way through the distances. Start with a thanksgiving 5K (3.1 miles). If you want to test your speed, pick a smaller race (big ones mean lots of dodging the family walkers on thanksgiving). Then move on to a 10K (6.2 miles), a 10 miler and finally a half marathon.

There are a ton of great races in so. cal. I pretty much only pay for half marathons at this point and my favorites are:
    San Diego Holiday Half (in La Jolla)
    Surf City (Huntington Beach)
    Mountains to Beach (Ventura)

There is an annual 5K that runs through Angel Stadium if you are a fan. Here is a website I have used to find races
    http://www.raceplace.com/greater-los-angeles/running-walking

My thoughts on Disney....too much money to run through Anaheim (very little time is spent in the actual park), too early (5am ish start). With all the great scenery in So. Cal. why would you run through a run down part of the area?
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    if you go to active.com it will show you races available in your area
  • 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good source for races:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-finder

here's one dedicated to half-marathons

http://www.halfmarathons.net/usa-half-marathons/
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    MeetUp is an app

Performance Bicycle is a company on there for example. It sounds kind of sketchy with that name but it has lots of clubs and social groups

5K's good !!

And nothing wrong with walking a little if you need to. If you can run a 5K then in time a 10K with some walking in there may be your next goal.

I like to push myself a little but not so much as to go past soreness to injury.

If there is a Tri club near you or Running club that works too.

They will probably be on MeetUp

Ha