I want to lose 5 pounds a week.. Is that unrealistic?

Options
I have been struggling with my weight loss and I have absolutely no discipline, or motivation... I need to lose quickly so I can have my energy back!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Only for the first week and most of that is water. Unfortunately if you don't learn discipline and how to keep trying even when you aren't motivated you won't keep it off long term. Getting your energy back won't magically happen if you starve yourself enough to lose 5 pounds per week, you'll actually see the opposite happen.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yes, unrealistic. If you have no motivation or discipling why make it harder by restricting your calories until it is painful. Select 1 to 1.5 pounds per week, that way you will get more to eat daily and will be sustainable. You did not put your weight on overnight and it's not coming off overnight either.

read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside/p1

You an do this!!
  • Dharmatron14
    Dharmatron14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It is unrealistic and dangerous to lose that quickly. Going at a slower pace will allow for more sustainable changes. The energy will come with healthy eating and sleeping as well as exercise. You'll get there in good time! :)
  • leoslady09
    leoslady09 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all!
  • owakid
    owakid Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You can dI it but you won't be energetic or motivated in the end of the week. If you like a lot of boxes foods you should start with a health cleanse. In two weeks the graving will be much weaker and you will be stronger to keep going towards your goal and then knowing your body and be able to maintain it properly. If you try too fast you would be getting your metabolism to work much slower. Good luck and let me know if you need more advice on ex or nutrition ! :) can do it!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    1. Extremely unrealistic unless you're over 500 pounds to start with.
    2. The faster you lose, the more muscle you lose (so you end up in a bad position body fat wise)
    3. Losing weight is the easier part. The harder part is keeping it off. You need to look at this time as practice for the rest of your life, or you'll just yo-yo.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If it were realistic, MFP wouldn't set the max loss rate at less than half of it.
  • leoslady09
    leoslady09 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    owakid wrote: »
    You can dI it but you won't be energetic or motivated in the end of the week. If you like a lot of boxes foods you should start with a health cleanse. In two weeks the graving will be much weaker and you will be stronger to keep going towards your goal and then knowing your body and be able to maintain it properly. If you try too fast you would be getting your metabolism to work much slower. Good luck and let me know if you need more advice on ex or nutrition ! :) can do it!

Cleanses don't work. The only thing she needs is a sensible calorie deficit.
  • usmcmp
    Options

No, she can't lose 5 pounds per week and cleanses are a marketing scheme to part people with their money.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

This is one of the most misinformed and intentionally misguiding posts I've seen on MFP in a long time.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    The math says to lose 5 pounds in a week you have to have a deficit of 2500 calories per day. For most women that means they would have to eat nothing and still exercise to burn approximately 700 calories extra every day. If you're short you'd have to even more.
  • change_starts_now
    Options
    Hi guys. Can you please add me up? I like to see your food diary so that I can get ideas on what to eat. I'm on a 1200kcal goal and I always go over. Lol!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you try to do this your body will fight back and you'll most likely develop an eating disorder and destroy your hormonal balance and metabolism.