Starting IIFYM tomorrow, any tips or tricks to make it less complex?

Options
Evening everyone, I have been a long term user of Myfitnesspal for a few years now, but i've always been a bit pants at keeping at it. I have got a professional to plan me an IIFYM guide for weight loss consisting of the following;

Protein 166g
Carbohydrate 190g
Fat 53g

per day with a guide of 1900 calories.

I know many people on this forum must be following the IIFYM lifestyle, and was wondering if you had any tips/tricks/sucess stories to help me through? I am a confident 'cook' and make everything from scratch where possible. this is what im worried about being able to calculate?

I am looking to embark of a lifestyle change that will make me healthier and give me some better body confidence.

And any friends on the way is always nice too :)

Look forward to hearing from you....

Sarah :)

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Pre-log the main meals and make sure they have a decent amount of protein in them. Fill in some snacks and leave some calories open for an unexpected treat or to be filled in later.
  • sarahsej
    sarahsej Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Pre-log the main meals and make sure they have a decent amount of protein in them. Fill in some snacks and leave some calories open for an unexpected treat or to be filled in later.

Thanks, so plan day ahead what i will eat. sounds good to me!
  • sarahsej
    Options
    166 protein? are you a body builder?

no!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I started IIFYM 6 1/2 weeks ago. I have really enjoyed it, and have lost 14 lbs so far (have about 16 to go!). I pre-log my meals, I also tend to eat the same breakfast and lunch. I like the consistency of not having to think about it. I was having a hard time hitting my protein ( 110p), so I added in muscle milk 32 into my day, or a quest bar. Eat what you enjoy, it is like a game. I have been pleasantly surprised that I have been able to enjoy ben and jerry's, chocolate croissants wine and beer, through my journey. (Not all on the same day :) ). I was able to fit it into my macros for treats. I haven't wanted to overeat either, since I am eating so much food now. Most days I am also under my calorie goals, but have hit my macro goals and am full and satisfied.

My #'s are 1424 cal: 110p/138c/48f....I want to lose weight, I also exercise 5-6 days a week with running and weight training, and am 47 years old :)

Measure and weigh all your food....good luck and feel free to add me
  • sarahsej
    Options
    that protein seems very high.
    google - how much protein do i need daily calculator
    http://www.webefit.com/Calculators/Calc_protein.html
    this will give you the bare minimum.
    i try to shoot for double that minimum daily
    no need for 166 grams of protein unless you lift weights or athlete
    i'm also guessing you are maintaining at 1,900 cals - not trying to lose weight

I will be lifting weights as exercise with some cardio, the minimum on that website is 71g and for strength training 163g (??)

But yes, weight loss is the goal... This has certainly confused a bit more!

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    sarahsej wrote: »

I will be lifting weights as exercise with some cardio, the minimum on that website is 71g and for strength training 163g (??)

What @usmcmp says, it is the best advice.
  • sarahsej
    Options
    momof3and3 wrote: »
    I started IIFYM 6 1/2 weeks ago. I have really enjoyed it, and have lost 14 lbs so far (have about 16 to go!). I pre-log my meals, I also tend to eat the same breakfast and lunch. I like the consistency of not having to think about it. I was having a hard time hitting my protein ( 110p), so I added in muscle milk 32 into my day, or a quest bar. Eat what you enjoy, it is like a game. I have been pleasantly surprised that I have been able to enjoy ben and jerry's, chocolate croissants wine and beer, through my journey. (Not all on the same day :) ). I was able to fit it into my macros for treats. I haven't wanted to overeat either, since I am eating so much food now. Most days I am also under my calorie goals, but have hit my macro goals and am full and satisfied.

My #'s are 1424 cal: 110p/138c/48f....I want to lose weight, I also exercise 5-6 days a week with running and weight training, and am 47 years old :)

Measure and weigh all your food....good luck and feel free to add me

Wow that's amazing steady results so far, congratulations! It's really interesting to see what macro goals others are using, and I feel IIFYM will work better in the long run. I normally have all the willpower in the world, completely behaving for 4 weeks then I break!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    sarahsej wrote: »

Generally 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass is the target many lifters aim for. .8 grams per pound of lean body mass is adequate for most people.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    To make it far less complicated:

100 grams of protein is usually a solid target for most women. 120 should be more than enough for all women (with minor exceptions, but they would already know what they should aim for).
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I find it's MUCH more flexible to not have a carb goal. What I would do is eat 100 protein minimum, 50 fat, minimum and use the remaining calories on any macro you want. If you want to spend them all on carbs, you can. If you want more protein or more fat on a particular day, no problem, you can do that too. Trying to hit all three targets each day can be limiting on the types of things you can eat. Hitting minimums will allow you to have the same results with a ton more added flexibility. I talk more about it here:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just focus on protein, the fat comes along for the ride, and that way I don't go over carbs.
  • sarahsej
    Options
    Thanks everyone that's really helpful. Today is going to be interesting to see where I get to macro-wise by the end of the day, then can adjust from there.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    To make it far less complicated:

100 grams of protein is usually a solid target for most women. 120 should be more than enough for all women (with minor exceptions, but they would already know what they should aim for).

With a caveat of using that as a minimum, so that for someone targeting 1900 cals - using higher protein targets for satiety and adherence seems also fine.

Try, adjust and be comfortable with not all your days being 100% on everything.

Give yourself time to succeed.