Are resistance band exercises worthwhile?

Options
My aunt was cleaning recently and gave me a whole bag of exercise bands she'd had laying around. I've never used these before. Are they any good? How do they compare to regular body weight calisthenics? Google gives me a lot of mixed information, so I figured I'd look around and see if anyone had experience with these.

Thanks! Have a lovely day~

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands can be helpful, especially when combined with body weight work.

Here are lots of things you can do with them: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/equipment/id/9/equipment/bands

I use special ones to help my squats, deadlift and bench press.
  • CardiLuxe
    CardiLuxe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Wish I had some at home. :) I'd definitely train more.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Not to sound nuts but be sure to inspect them before use and if they are old they might not be the best to use. I know several people that have been smacked in the face when they broke...not fun ;-)
  • Remilia_Scarlet
    Remilia_Scarlet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Resistance bands can be helpful, especially when combined with body weight work.

Here are lots of things you can do with them: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/equipment/id/9/equipment/bands

I use special ones to help my squats, deadlift and bench press.

Thank you very much! Those exercises look helpful. Part of my skepticism was that the instruction booklet that came with the bands had a list of workouts for "toning" and spot reduction, which set my bullish*t meter off. These look more useful!
    CardiLuxe wrote: »
    Awesome! Wish I had some at home. :) I'd definitely train more.

Try your local thrift store? I think that's where my aunt got hers (before they sat neglected in her closet for over a year...).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Anytime a resistance band sn't challenging enough for you, use 2 together to double the fun.
  • neetneet46
    neetneet46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in a boot camp and she use them in there and boy do they work ! I would definitely use them !