Heart palpitations still 3 days later after high dose of caffeine

Options
jennifer8989
jennifer8989 Posts: 59 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I went to the er Thursday night after feeling dizzy with a racing heart all test came back normal .. The doctor said he was pretty sure it was from the max dose I took of preworkout 5in a half scoops every 2 scoops was 100mg of caffeine . He also said it had other things in there that were pretty bad . It's now Sunday and all though the muscle twitches and wired feeling have gone my heart tends to race (palpitations) sometimes when I get up to do things around the house simple things would trigger it . I've drank tons of water 1 gallon... Has anyone else had lasting effects like this that took longer to go away ? I did not have this issue prior I'm sure I would have noticed considering I go to the gym my heart beat would be sky rocket .

Replies

• jennifer8989
    Options
    I would like to add that I chugged it as well . I didn't sip it .
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Go back to doctor
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    I notice when taking deep breaths it helps lower my heart rate I'm not sure if it's because I constantly think of it or its anxiety followed by days without caffeine . Or maybe there is something wrong that's triggering them everytime i get up I feel great when I'm just in bed even at night it seems to be normal
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Go back to doctor

^^ this
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you are having any symptoms of heart palpitations or any other cardiac disease please go to the ED or see your primary care provider.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Definitely go back to a doctor if you're still experiencing cardiac arrhythmia or tachycardia. You want to see a cardiologist who can examine your heart.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have to take medication for mine. Caffeine can trigger them, as you know, but they also can just be a thing that comes up. Your experience now doesn't have to be from the caffeine at its root, so go back and they'll likely give you a monitor to wear for a week, etc.

I got thoroughly checked for hyperthyroid, too, but it's an autonomic nervous system thing for me and medicine fixes it. Beta blockers, which I took anyway for migraines at a lower dose. My palpitations just came up and stayed until medicated, though, so you might have something that needs medicating, yeah. It definitely needs more testing, imho.

• jjsilcox96
    jjsilcox96 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You better go back to the hospital I overdosed on caffeine they had to flush my system to lower my heart rate they said I could have had a heart attack.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Go back to the doctor

Stuff like this is way too important to take advice from strangers online
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    armylife wrote: »
    If you are having any symptoms of heart palpitations or any other cardiac disease please go to the ED or see your primary care provider.

This. Cardiac issues automatically move you to the front of the line to be seen in urgent care/emergency room. Seek out professional medical help- not strangers on the internet.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    10666005_536393559795965_96949556_a.jpg
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, 5.5 scoops? What on earth were you thinking?
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    10666005_536393559795965_96949556_a.jpg

Lmao I've felt like that a couple of times, damn it sucked.

Anyways op...it's time to cycle off the caffeine for a bit lol. I'm cycling off caffeine starting tomorrow. I just don't feel it hit me like before (300 mg per scoop) but even I am not willing to risk it for the biscuit anymore than that. I've had too many instances where the caffeine would have my heart racing, sucky experience that's for sure. I'm actually surprised I've gotten my tolerance as high as it is now though. 200mg use to have my heart racing like crazy. More isn't always better.

Also, what pre workout was it? C4?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Go back to doctor

This ^^^

Did they complete some labwork? I would be asking for an ECG and labwork (particularly electrolytes including magnesium, calcium, and phosphate). Followed by a referral to a cardiologist, since your symptoms are continuing. Hopefully, it's just anxiety, but you won't know without getting it checked out. I am certain you are scared, but at least if you know you can treat the symptoms appropriately.

And this:
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    On a serious note, 5.5 scoops? What on earth were you thinking?

Seriously, that's a whole lot of caffeine. At least learn from this. Please be more careful.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Half life of caffeine is 6 hours roughly for adults...30 hours of caffeine abstinence should clear it from your system.
    If it was from a pre-workout, I would suspect other ingredients like Yohimbine or AMP-citrate (1,3-DMAA analogue)
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    Hey guys I took essential amino energy max dose . I went to the er again they ran a bunch of test repeated and extra .
    ekg
    put me on a monitor
    Did urine
    Checked thyroids
    All the blood work screenings
    Gave me Iv's
    Checked for clots

Heart rhym is normal doctors explained it was just accelerated like I was in the middle of a workout .
    Everytime I made movements like walking etc.

And that my body was just super sensitive the ingredients causing it to take longer for me to recover .

He's stated he believes it's just one of those things that goes away on there own . I will be following up with my doctor wendsday .

DEF a lesson learned !
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    So, if you take this stuff you don't even need to do the workout to get your heart rate up? Genius!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Aw! Lol, I went to the ER as a young adult purely from caffeine. So embarrassing, but it felt like a heart attack, I thought. I'd had pots and pots of coffee for exams.

But if yours keeps up, don't be scared exactly (my palpitations aren't harmful), but do follow-up even after getting the all-clear. Take your pulse rate a lot and keep a log. My resting pulse started to get too high. The high pulse was an important symptom, and I really did have to stop aerobics until the medicine kicked in because it got too high during exertion to be a good thing. This was along with my frequent bouts of palpitations. So check your pulse, especially as you exercise. Mine came out of the blue after having a great pulse rate and no palpitations as my baseline. Just be careful, and good luck! :) The clear tests are great news!

ETA: I just take a beta blocker, btw. It's no big deal, but I do need to take it. I like exertion, lol.
  • sbarnyard77
    sbarnyard77 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Try magnesium, caffeine depletes magnesium levels. I was having constant palpitations, EKG was showing palpitations. Went to the ER and all labs came back fine. Had nuclear stress test and they said heart is good. They gave me a beta blocker that slowed my HR down but palpitations kept on going. A coworker suggested I start taking magnesium and I barely ever have any. Only when I miss a dose. Hope this helps.

And stop chugging the caffeine it's not all that great for you.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Half our job as medical professionals is protecting people from themselves ;). Seriously 5 1/2 scoops lol?