Dr told me I must lose weight!!

Options
My name is Jade, I'm 36 and I have had a wake up call from my dr! I need some motivation and tips and would love to add some friends on here so we can help each other.
Comfort eating is my downfall, any tips on how to cope when I want to turn to food for comfort?

Replies

• 9mike
    9mike Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    add me if u want I will do my best to keep you on track
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm I just comfort ate the hell out of some chips and salsa....
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    When I want to turn to food, I instead make tea or drink water slowly. Hobbies are also good to have to help. Its a learning process. You can do this though! Believe in yourself and you are halfway there!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Add some friends for support, continue to add, because some will drop off over time. If comfort eating is a problem (me too, BTW), find another way to cope with you stress/boredom: reading, swimming, meditation, go for a walk, watch something mindless on TV. Read lots of stuff on the forums. I suggest starting here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260517/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • jadie658
    jadie658 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)
  • amyescalantehansen
    amyescalantehansen Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How to cope when you want to turn to food - here are a few options - have a large glass of cold water, chew on ice, chew gum, drink green tea, brush your teeth - don't want to eat to ruin the minty taste, workout or go for a walk. After 15 minutes your craving should go away.
  • Amberleah21
    Amberleah21 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    An emotional eater here too! But this support has really helped me. Add me if you like.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Just start logging/tracking. You'll learn how to fit in foods you love, how to incorporate new foods to make room for others, how to keep yourself full (whether it's high fat, protein, high volume, etc). The first step is eating less of what you are eating now, and getting into a deficit. A food scale is a great investment and can save you some time and help with accuracy.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    There are also lots of recipes you can find that have healthy and clean twists on old fashioned comfort food. So you can still have the occasional old foodie friend but with out the guilt.
    Having said that, like above posters have said distractions are good; an active distraction is great!
    Fell free to add me if you like, good luck on your way to a healthier lifestyle :smiley:
  • jaglenn51
    jaglenn51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Judith. I was an emotional eater and turned to food because of the health battles I've faced. I now spend my time looking for better substitutes. I try new foods and cook so differently than what I used to. I think twice before giving in to fast food. When I want chips, I reach for the smallest bag no more than once a week. Taking small steps counts. I am 55 years old and excited about my lifestyle changes.
  • DHutzell74
    DHutzell74 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jadie658 wrote: »
    My name is Jade, I'm 36 and I have had a wake up call from my dr! I need some motivation and tips and would love to add some friends on here so we can help each other.
    Comfort eating is my downfall, any tips on how to cope when I want to turn to food for comfort?