Sober October

Options

Replies

• amelia822
    amelia822 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party, but I'm in for the rest of October. I always tell myself that I am only going to drink one or on the weekends but that NEVER sticks. I know it's why I can't get the pounds off too. It's time.
    I stopped drinking in July! I used to have 3 to 4 wine glasses a night and ever sense I stopped I'm down 30 lbs.. And I feel so much better.
  • Badunkadunk_Buster
    Badunkadunk_Buster Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My grandma told me I needed to relax and have a drink. But I took a nap instead. Still no alcohol for me!
  • amelia822
    amelia822 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's what I do! When I feel like having a glass of wine at night I just go to bed early!
  • pembr0ke
    pembr0ke Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    4 weeks AF today; feeling good and sleeping well. Skin is clearer and the fog clears earlier in the morning :D
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Doing well. Day 9 AF. Feel great!
  • angrydads
    angrydads Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    36 days AF and 18 pounds later. No drinking has been a key component to my weight loss. No doubt.
  • skinnymar52
    skinnymar52 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So, here we go again, another month to put forth an effort to stay sober. With each month winding down to the years end it will become more difficult for many of us but we're here to support one another. There is no judging here, just support. Glad you decided to join us.

For those of you who don't know me, I've been drinking a bottle of wine a night for about 30 years. Yikes! My husband is my drinking buddy and he drinks the same amount. In August we decided to give it up thinking that maybe someday down the road we'd be able to have a glass or 2 and stop at that. Well, I had 2 slip ups in the last 70 days. Both times I did not stop after a glass or 2 but consumed the whole bottle. As we age, I'm sure the damage from our poisoned livers will catch up with one or both of us. It has to stop now. So, here we go again. . .

Hi , I'm new to MFP. I wanted to say I also can relate. My husband & I love to drink wine every night too. I gave it up 3 weeks ago. He has had a few beers and wiskey on Saturday nights. It is hard but there are so many good reasons to quit. Also I read an article that said after 5 months of healthy eating & no alcohol your liver can detox and repair itself. Also milk thistle is great for the liver. I am glad there are other people out there that are also trying to quit or cut back. Hang in there!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I've been at it since July, and while I have an occasional slip on the weekend, I can now not even imagine drinking every night again,especially a weeknight! I think of all the money I have saved as well as the health benefits.
  • TacoTina
    TacoTina Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Been alcohol free since 12/25/2013 one day at a time friends
  • fiddletime
    Options
    Great job Tina. Thanks for posting! Most of us don't really want to be alcohol free, really, but are finding the alternative of attempts at moderation to be inadequate for maintaining a healthy lifestyle and weight.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    For those into sparkling water, what is your favorite? Mine is deer Park Mandarin orange.
  • fiddletime
    Options
    Pomegranate/raspberry.
  • tmbg1
    Options
    I LOOOOOVVVEEE waking up on a Saturday feeling fantastic!! I hope everyone else survived Friday night without booze!
  • fiddletime
    Options
    Sat. night and dinner out. Really feel like s glass of nicely chilled white wine with dinner.
  • fiddletime
    Options
    Made it!! Had dinner and didn't order wine. Don't know why this was such a tough night for me.
  • MyWhole30Journey
    MyWhole30Journey Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Attended a wedding of a good friend last night, did have wine but only 1 glass. It was a Zinfindel and definitely not my favorite so it was easy to stick to only one. Didn't crave any more and I don't today either. I was happy I was able to do that :)

• pembr0ke
    pembr0ke Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    pembr0ke wrote: »
    4 weeks AF today; feeling good and sleeping well. Skin is clearer and the fog clears earlier in the morning :D

A stressful day, today, but I made it without succumbing to booze (bairly!)
  • javame
    javame Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Back with you all again. 12 days & counting!
  • fiddletime
    Options
    Derailed last night at our big family dinner and had 4 (?) glasses of white wine. Wow. Ok. My birthday is right before Halloween and I don't, don't, don't want to drink at the surprise party my son and his wife are throwing this coming weekend. That's my goal for this week!
  • tmbg1
    Options
    Just a few more days in this month.. Hang in there what are you all doing for next month?