Hi there! Starting again with "The Power of Three" Plan

Hi there! I am staring myfitness pal up again after gaining 20 pounds back! This time I am starting with The Power of Three diet. I would love to hear from others who are doing it. I know a friend lost 30 pounds on it, and she loved it, but I could use some inspiration.
Thanks!

Replies

• jkrunner80
    jkrunner80 Posts: 80 Member
    I'll see your 20 and raise you another 20...yep, gained 40 pounds back! I am not doing the Power of Three but I am always game for new friends! :)
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    What is the Power of Three diet? It makes me think of the tv show Charmed... :smiley:
  • mmeans68
    mmeans68 Posts: 17 Member
    Same here. Giving MFP another shot after giving it up a while ago. Never heard of the Power of Three diet but, yeah, like someone else said...reminds me of Charmed :)
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Basically the diet has a lot to do with the number three. Lol
    Can not eat food with more than 3 ingredients
    Drink 3, 24 oz cups of water a day
    Drink 3 cups green tea daily
    No carbs after 3pm..
    No eating 30 min before bes
    Etc etc...
    I have only been on it a week. So far i have lost about 2 pounds.. Seems like i may be able to do it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Arynamber wrote: »
    Basically the diet has a lot to do with the number three. Lol
    Can not eat food with more than 3 ingredients
    Drink 3, 24 oz cups of water a day
    Drink 3 cups green tea daily
    No carbs after 3pm..
    No eating 30 min before bes
    Etc etc...
    I have only been on it a week. So far i have lost about 2 pounds.. Seems like i may be able to do it.

So...the number 3 and it's rules being completely arbitrary.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Wow. Never heard of this diet, but it sounds like it is working for you! Having a specific detailed plan makes the weight loss process easier for some. As for inspiration, I say find some really good MFP people to add on the journey. Ones with similar journeys. And be strict about your friends list. Go for quality :) .
    Looking forward to your progress report!

And lol @mmeans68
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I can't find anything about this by Googling, which is . . . odd.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I might start the power of 3.14 diet. I do like pie.

I like the 420 diet. You get brownies.

I like the Power of 1960 diet, because I get to eat what I want and still maintain my weight because I'm sticking to my calorie goals of.....1960 calories, plus exercise calories when I exercise. :D
    Hi there! I am staring myfitness pal up again after gaining 20 pounds back! This time I am starting with The Power of Three diet. I would love to hear from others who are doing it. I know a friend lost 30 pounds on it, and she loved it, but I could use some inspiration.
    Thanks

I'm being silly, but I am also trying to point out that you don't need any special diet to lose weight, you just need a calorie deficit. In fact, the reason your friend lost weight doing this diet is because she ate at a calorie deficit. If this is the diet you want, please enjoy it, but you will also need to ensure you stay within your calorie deficit to lose weight.

My motto: Any diet will work if you eat at a calorie deficit, but no diet will work if you don't eat at a calorie deficit.

Moderation is key in all things.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    nyponbell wrote: »
    What is the Power of Three diet? It makes me think of the tv show Charmed... :smiley:

I thought Doctor Who! I'm behind and just watched that episode. Apparently it involves fish fingers and custard.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I might start the power of 3.14 diet. I do like pie.

I like the 420 diet. You get brownies.

I like the Power of 1960 diet, because I get to eat what I want and still maintain my weight because I'm sticking to my calorie goals of.....1960 calories, plus exercise calories when I exercise. :D
    Thanks

I'm being silly, but I am also trying to point out that you don't need any special diet to lose weight, you just need a calorie deficit. In fact, the reason your friend lost weight doing this diet is because she ate at a calorie deficit. If this is the diet you want, please enjoy it, but you will also need to ensure you stay within your calorie deficit to lose weight.

My motto: Any diet will work if you eat at a calorie deficit, but no diet will work if you don't eat at a calorie deficit.

Moderation is key in all things.

Yep ! No need for silly diets.
    Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. Its that simple.

For overall health, eat a well balanced diet.

Learn portion control and moderation so you won't have to deprive yourself of the foods you love. I eat ice cream every night, but instead of the entire gallon - I now eat only a serving or two within my calorie goal

There's no need for these super restrictive diets. All that's needed is a calorie deficit
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Wow you all are so helpful here. Thanks so much!

Well, I personally think you can do this, all with the power of.....You. :)

Just eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Wow you all are so helpful here. Thanks so much!

Well, I personally think you can do this, all with the power of.....You. :)

Just eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

Yes, this^^ Your diet sounds painful and it does't have to be.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    You really don't need restrictive rules to lose weight. Only foods with x amount of ingredients is very nonsensical. I made a fantastic chicken and veg soup on the weekend, 250 cals a whole bowl, all fresh ingredients, it's perfect for lunches for work but on your plan you couldn't eat it because it has around 10 ingredients.
  • I thought this was a witch diet? So reminds me of Charmed. I wouldn't be able to stick to such a restrictive diet. I like being able to eat what I want by weighing and logging it. But hey... That's just my own opinion. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    nyponbell wrote: »

I thought Doctor Who! I'm behind and just watched that episode. Apparently it involves fish fingers and custard.

fishcustard1-436x261.jpg

I'm not behind in watching, but as a die-hard Who fan, that's where my mind went too.
  • Arynamber
    Ok by three ingredients it means like.. Most Crackers.. Processed lots of ingredients so no. But homemade chicken soup starts with veggies. So as long as no noodles its a go.
    Any fruit or veggy or meat is fine and anyway you cook them together is fine. Seeds and nuts are fine too. Oatmeal is good, so is some granola mixes. It doesnt seem restrictive at all, i am not counting calories which makes it super easy for me. Basically, i can eat anything in natural form and some processed food if it less than three ingredients. Yesterday i made meatloaf with veggies not breadcrumbs and it was to die for.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    But noodles only have 2 ingredients...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    I thought this was a witch diet? So reminds me of Charmed. I wouldn't be able to stick to such a restrictive diet. I like being able to eat what I want by weighing and logging it. But hey... That's just my own opinion. :)

That show really went downhill when they killed off Shannon Doherty... But I agree that's where my mind went too, and I agree with the rest of the advice as well.

Don't make this harder than it needs to be OP.

1. Set a reasonable calorie deficit.
    2. Eat primarily nutrient dense foods, leaving room for occasional treats.
    3. Exercise if you like.

That's my Rule of Three!
  • Arynamber

Look at the box. All mine have much more than two.. Usually egg, wheat, yeast, oil, etc etc
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

Look at the box. All mine have much more than two.. Usually egg, wheat, yeast, oil, etc etc

But those ingredients themselves are fairly natural and unprocessed... I don't understand why you can combine any number of vegetables but if you combine eggs and flour (which is pretty much what is in pasta) then it is bad?

This diet seems excessively arbitrary and unnecessarily complicated. Did you come up with this program, or is it something that someone else put together?