Cravings and slip ups

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    It worries me that you say you eat 1200 calories and burn 2000 calories at the gym.

Though I believe you might be over estimating your burn and underestimating your intake, regularly netting -800 calories is not a good idea.

Please consider talking to a professional regarding your feelings about food and exercise.
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    TracyeS4 wrote: »
    Buy the sweet treats that you like in the pre-portioned containers. Smart Ones has some ice cream and cakes that are portioned out for you. Allow yourself a sweet treat each night... I do. Just fit it into your calorie goals. Don't beat yourself up! Do the best you can and focus on being healthy.

It may be a good idea to talk to a counselor. Some of the things you said are the same things I heard from my husband as he was developing an eating disorder. Even if you aren't, it never hurts to talk to someone.

Absolutely. I buy the preportioned foods. It's portion control. There are no bad foods, just bad portion sizes. There are no bad foods. They can all fit in your diet if you portion them out like the label has them listed. One serving. We can do this. I really enjoy desserts, so I buy the Skinny Cow ice cream bars. 150 or so calories a serving, vs buying a half gallon of ice cream, and eating scoop after scoop for 400 or 500 calories.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I been having the same cravings for months and always avoided them completely and I found myself constantly dreaming of them. I haven't exactly had one of my favorite meals since I started my weight loss journey. Since early August and went from 132 to 107 and I feel so good about my image but I find myself scared to up my calorie intake and scared I'll go back to my old eating habits. I gained weight bc of binging and overtraining. Now I'm constantly counting calories and avoiding a lot of good foods constantly. It's stressful and annoying. Even if I get a piece of something I like, I end up getting more and feel guilty and then overtrain the next day along with fasting.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Did I read that correctly? 7 hours on a treadmill in one day? If so, this is very concerning.

If you're also on low calories, and restrict favorite foods... I would say, with all respect, that you need to speak to a professional qualified to help you sort out your relationship w/ food.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    That was old habits. I only do an hour now. Actually lost weight very fast that way once I brought it down. But my relationship with food is different.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    That was old habits. I only do an hour now. Actually lost weight very fast that way once I brought it down. But my relationship with food is different.

OK. Still sounds like you're overly restricting. Only you can decide if this is something you may need to speak with a professional about. But it clearly sounds like you're distressed.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    If your body is craving a particular food, then eat it and move on. You're trying to not eat cheesecake but instead trying to fulfill that craving in other sweets which in turn increases your sugar and calorie content. Once you satisfy whatever it is your body is wanting, that craving will go away.

Or don't. Take 21-28 days of NOT feeding those cravings. Perhaps they'll go away. They did for me.

You'll hear both sides of this, decide which is right. Either eat a bit every time the hankering hits, or don't eat em at all (probably not: don't eat them for a few weeks then "give in"). Figure out which way works for you. What makes you feel like you're working with, rather than against, your body.

For ME, it's doing without entirely. Now it's not even appealing. Not even a little bit. It's been 14 years.

And meanwhile: eat enough to fuel your body, eat a diet of mostly nutrient dense foods.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Can you lose less a week at a higher amount of calories? Just what I'm reading, I'd just say you're too hungry. BTW, I relate to the "why bother" if I can only have "just one" mindset.

People who can truly eat just 2 cookies are flat-out annoying to me. lol

Blackpanther do you know roughly how many calories you're eating on a day to day basis, and I so agree with the bolded sentence :lol:

• sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Cravings are tough, tough, tough. When I started my calorie deficit I knew sugar and salt was my biggest opponent. I leaned twards a low carb diet for over two weeks. Insulin levels subsided and water weight released from my body. Lost 5 pound in 8 days. Then cravings for sugar and salt left . Afterwards I leaned twards semisweet snacks. I'm glad that I have a better handle on sugar and salt that way.
    I truly believe eating in moderation is it. You crave sugar then go semisweet. You go for the concentration like super sweet deserts then you risk bringing back the cravings that convinces you to consume way more than you intended.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I just wish I can eat my cravings but I try to kill them with healthy foods but it doesn't always work. Always want desserts, pizza, hamburgers, pasta, Chinese, all the high fat, sodium and calorie foods. The cravings r so intense that I feel like I could eat a whole pie or pizza. Wish I could without all the calories tho.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I just wish I can eat my cravings but I try to kill them with healthy foods but it doesn't always work. Always want desserts, pizza, hamburgers, pasta, Chinese, all the high fat, sodium and calorie foods. The cravings r so intense that I feel like I could eat a whole pie or pizza. Wish I could without all the calories tho.

Why are you focusing on fat? The foods you listed aren't particularly high fat. Perhaps it's fat you crave, but I'm betting not.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I get the "little" single portion sara lee baked cheesecakes, They are perfect if you're having a cheesecake craving, which is also one of my vices. The snickers/mars ice cream bars are great and not many calories.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Just wish I could eat a whole pizza, pie or cake without the super high calories and don't feel guilty like those professional eaters or those who have a hyper metabolism.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think you should talk to your doctor about your thoughts and feelings. You can get help. But you have to ask for it.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I believe it...it's really stressing me out.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Jello makes a great pseudo-cheesecake that you might be able to find in the refrigerator aisle of the supermarket where the sugar free puddings and jello cups live. They come in packs of 4. It's a cheesecake pudding base with a cherry topping that's about 130 calories. It tastes something like cheesecake and might help to fill that craving.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It might not hurt to talk this out with a therapist.

If you want the cake (and frosting, I love it, too!), then eat it. You know you won't lose weight eating all that stuff, but you don't have to lose weight. If you'd rather have Oreo Pie (which is so good), then have it!

When you're ready to eat fewer calories, you will. Until then, ENJOY eating the cake and pie. Whatever you do, you should be happy doing it. There is no good in eating yummy treats and beating yourself up about it. Choose what you want and then enjoy doing it!

But if you're really torn, wanting to lose weight and feeling like your eating is out of your control, a therapist is a really good idea. They'll help you work through that and get you to a better place. :)
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Op how old are you? Also, how tall are you? Is it possible that your body is at the smallest weight it will be happy with?

If your parents take you to dinner a lot, is it possible to talk with one of them about your concerns? Perhaps they can guide you through some appropriate meal decisions.
    Are your craving for sweets at the restaurants where you are surrounded by images of the desserts they want to add on to your meal ticket?
  • pinkys008
    pinkys008 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just wish I could eat a whole pizza, pie or cake without the super high calories and don't feel guilty like those professional eaters or those who have a hyper metabolism.

Me too! Lol. Too bad it doesn't really work that
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

There's lots of things I wish I could do, like spend a whole weekend doing nothing but watching movies. But, as an adult I have responsibilities and goals. So I do them.

Good luck. Much of this is, really, a mind game.