Can't lose weight on Risperdal?

Has anyone else had a lot of difficulty losing weight on Risperdal?
And I'm not just blaming the med. I was a solid 108lb when I went on the medication probably six months ago. I went up to 110 after two months and I tried to lose it but couldn't, but I didn't worry too much because it was only 2 pounds.
I'm 115-116 now and I cannot lose it. School started 2 months ago and for about the first 5 weeks I stopped getting my regular exercise but I kept eating the same I had been so I understand why I gained the weight, but for 2-3 weeks now I've been working out as much if not more than I had (running a few times a week plus walking a minimum of 6 miles daily). I also have tried to improve my diet and would estimate my average calorie intake around 1600 daily.
Is anyone else struggling too or does anyone have advice to remove this stubborn weight? This extra 6 pounds looks bad on me :(

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    "would estimate my average calorie intake around 1600 daily"

You're not weighing. My guess is that you are eating way more than you think you are.
  • pbandz
    pbandz Posts: 128 Member
    I've replaced two meals a day with a smoothie and a healthier meal option. I limit snacks to one or two a day and I no longer eat after 7. If anything I've at least decreased my average calorie intake and when I'm eating mostly chicken and fruits and veggies I don't think I'm eating 2000 calories daily . I'm positive I've decrease my daily calorie intake. And even if I hadn't, my daily exercise has increased by 100%. No it's not all due to the fact I don't weigh my food
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    pbandz wrote: »
    I've replaced two meals a day with a smoothie and a healthier meal option. I limit snacks to one or two a day and I no longer eat after 7. If anything I've at least decreased my average calorie intake and when I'm eating mostly chicken and fruits and veggies I don't think I'm eating 2000 calories daily . I'm positive I've decrease my daily calorie intake. And even if I hadn't, my daily exercise has increased by 100%. No it's not all due to the fact I don't weigh my food

None of those are required to lose weight.

How tall are you?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited October 2015
    You don't have to weigh your food, but it helps a lot for accuracy.
    1. I've replaced two meals a day with a smoothie and a healthier meal option. : Smoothies can have tons of calories and so can healthier meals. What you eat, no matter how healthy or "clean", does not matter when it comes to weight loss; a calorie deficit does.
    2. I limit snacks to one or two a day and I no longer eat after 7: Limiting snacks can help decrease calorie intake, but it depends on the snacks. Not eating after 7 doesn't help weight loss in any way.
    3. If anything I've at least decreased my average calorie intake and when I'm eating mostly chicken and fruits and veggies I don't think I'm eating 2000 calories daily: Granted you can eat a high volume of vegetables and chicken for less calories than other foods, but eating these foods does not necessarily mean you're consuming less calories. Fruit can be high in calories depending on the type of fruit you consume.
    4. I'm positive I've decrease my daily calorie intake.: This can't be said with 100% certainty. You said you estimated you were eating 1600 a day. That's only a rough estimate.
    5. And even if I hadn't, my daily exercise has increased by 100%.: Are you eating back your exercise calories? MFP's calorie burns tend to be overestimated.

I have been on Risperdal and it made my breasts produce milk which caused temporary weight gain. I also retained water weight. This tapered off after a few weeks, but the milk stayed. If none of that is happening to you, especially since it has been months, then you are probably eating more than you think you are. At your weight you have a lower BMR, so room for error when calorie counting is extremely slim. I don't know your height but I'm 5'3.5" and weigh 117 pounds. I lose half a pound or so per week on 1500-2000 calories depending on my activity level for the day. However, I'm sure of my food intake since I weigh everything. What I suggest is that you decrease your calorie intake by 250 per day. If you see a loss after a few weeks or less then, yes, you were eating too much before.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    It's tough to lose weight on Risperdal but it can be done. My wife's lost 33 pounds while taking it. Better is that since she's lost the weight she's able to not take the medicine. Don't give up, we've found we must be diligent about weighing and logging our food. Good luck to you.
  • Daisies4Days
    Daisies4Days Posts: 76 Member
    Hi there! I just wanted to share; I have two children who were on Risperdal for different reasons and both gained weight and kept in on. When they went off Risperdal, the weight just "fell off". The pediatrician said to expect weight gain as a side effect.
  • lljb1984
    lljb1984 Posts: 8 Member
    Risperidone is known to cause weight gain (not as much as clozapine but still definitely a known side effect). Talk to your psychiatrist or prescriber about metformin to give you a helping hand to shift the weight
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    And I'm not just blaming the med. I was a solid 108lb when I went on the medication probably six months ago. I went up to 110 after two months and I tried to lose it but couldn't, but I didn't worry too much because it was only 2 pounds.
    I'm 115-116 now and I cannot lose it. School started 2 months ago and for about the first 5 weeks I stopped getting my regular exercise but I kept eating the same I had been so I understand why I gained the weight, but for 2-3 weeks now I've been working out as much if not more than I had (running a few times a week plus walking a minimum of 6 miles daily). I also have tried to improve my diet and would estimate my average calorie intake around 1600 daily.
    Is anyone else struggling too or does anyone have advice to remove this stubborn weight? This extra 6 pounds looks bad on me :(

I've been borderline anorexic on Risperdal, I've gained weight, and I've lost weight again, so I'm not really convinced it causes weight gain as such.

A calorie surplus causes weight gain, guaranteed.

Enter your stats into MFP, then weigh and log everything you eat, and stay at your calorie limit.

Read the link queenliz posted. Best wishes.

• Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    Weight gain is a known side effect of this medication in some people. If you are counting your calories and know for a fact you are not overeating talk to your doctor about other alternatives if the weight gain is a problem
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

I've been borderline anorexic on Risperdal, I've gained weight, and I've lost weight again, so I'm not really convinced it causes weight gain as such.

A calorie surplus causes weight gain, guaranteed.

Enter your stats into MFP, then weigh and log everything you eat, and stay at your calorie limit.

Read the link queenliz posted. Best wishes.

you might check:

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/02/02/how-risperdal-risperidone-causes-weight-gain/

"It is believed that carriers of the leptin gene -2548G/A and variants may have different responses to Risperdal, and thus may not gain as much weight."
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member

I've lost weight on risperidone, i did it with a website like this in the past (and now with this website now).

I was on risperidone (generic risperidal) in 2009-2010 and in that point using a bodybugg i lost 70+ pounds. I'm now on risperidone again and with tracking here i've lost over 30 pounds.

In my experience, all antipsychotics are major tranquilizers (that's official name, also called neuroleptics - which means basically the same thing). They zap your energy so you move less and crave carbs (sources of quick energy) more. Before anyone claims i'm advocating low carb, I'm not, I'm just saying you crave sources of energy when your energy is unnaturally low so you eat more.

Use this website (or something like it) religiously, though a day off once or twice a week isn't so bad.
  • RobertWilkens
    lljb1984 wrote: »
    Risperidone is known to cause weight gain (not as much as clozapine but still definitely a known side effect). Talk to your psychiatrist or prescriber about metformin to give you a helping hand to shift the weight

I stopped taking metformin when i wasn't losing weight with it for 6+ months, and shortly after started MFP and now i *am* losing weight without metformin. The rules of weight loss do not change when your on meds, have to move more and eat less.
  • RobertWilkens
    you might check:

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/02/02/how-risperdal-risperidone-causes-weight-gain/

"It is believed that carriers of the leptin gene -2548G/A and variants may have different responses to Risperdal, and thus may not gain as much weight."

Lest you think i have this gene variant.. I'll not before i was on antipsychotics (we're talking 1997-1998) I weighed around 165lbs. On antipsychotics (Risperidone, Zyprexa, Etc.) I've been as high as 262lbs. But with exercise and watching what you eat (again with this or a similar size) you can effective fight this.
  • RobertWilkens
    you might check:

Lest you think i have this gene variant.. I'll not before i was on antipsychotics (we're talking 1997-1998) I weighed around 165lbs. On antipsychotics (Risperidone, Zyprexa, Etc.) I've been as high as 262lbs. But with exercise and watching what you eat (again with this or a similar size) you can effective fight this.

Corrections above:
    "not"="note"
    "Size"="site"

Not sure why it seems some people can edit their posts but i cannot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    you might check:

Corrections above:
    "not"="note"
    "Size"="site"

Not sure why it seems some people can edit their posts but i cannot.

You can edit your post for up to an hour. On the desktop, you do this by clicking the gear icon to the right of your post.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    My brother takes Risperdal and Thorazine. When he was in a hospital setting, he gained weight while eating hospital food and not getting much exercise. Now that he is home, eating Mom's cooking, helping her with extensive yard work, and walking several miles per day, he lost all the weight he gained and has maintained a healthy weight for over a year.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Medications can increase appetite, but one can still lose weight, by staying in a deficit. Averaging your calories is just guessing. Start weighing your food.
  • pbandz
    pbandz Posts: 128 Member
    I've been on antidepressants before and I gained 30 pounds. I went off of them an in 6 months I lost all 30 pounds without changing anything in my exercise regime or diet. I'm relatively convinced that this has some to do with my medication, especially when my doctor warned me up front that this was a possibility.

All I know without weighing and everything else, is that this diet is the same diet I was eating as well as the same workout regime, when I weighed 108 pounds and maintained that. All I'm saying is that it is overly difficult to lose weight. I don't think for a poor college student , trying to afford a scale is really an option right now.

Thanks for some of the answers I guess. Wasn't really looking to be told how wrong I am when none of you personally know me and can see what I am eating but whatever :)
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Sorry to hear, but one of the major side effects of Risperdal is weight gain. Balancing it with a diet program is very difficult. I would highly suggest consulting a doctor concerning your weight gain on this drug. Make sure your doctor is prescribing it for the correct reasons. Off label Risperdal prescriptions have been a HUGE problem that Johnson & Johnson has been Federally investigated and is still being litigated.

Be careful with Risperdal