For those that do not eat breakfast? Explain how you do it?

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if people who don't eat in the morning exercise in the morning? I mean, I could exercise on an empty stomach if I did it first thing, but I have to wait 2-3 hours typically and then it's just not possible.

I couldn't do that either. When I exercise in the morning without eating I have to do it first thing (and I eat over 1500 calories 8-12pm so I have that "fuel"). I cant work out a few hours after waking up, only after eating a snack or lunch.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Wake up at 9:30 drink some tea and coffee, usually starving by 11 so I'll eat 300 calorie breakfast. Lunch around 2-3pm at 3-400. Dinner at 6-8pm 2-500 cals. 200-500 calories for snacking around 9-midnight. Go to sleep around 1am
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Not eating breakfast is honestly the best thing i do for my weight loss. I am not that hungry first thing in the morning, maybe because I eat late dinner and pre-bed snack.
    I do have a diet snapple and a few cups of coffee. If I do eat breakfast, especially stuff like cereal I end up starving an hour later. I guess I just don't like having food in my tummy in the first half of the day
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I usually don't get hungry until about 11 or 12...

- Wake up drink a glass of water.

- Get a light LISS and/or strength-training workout in.

- Drink water and unsweetened tea in the meantime.

- Eat a balanced good-sized meal few hours later.

- Eat a small meal if I need it (something like a hard boiled egg + toast + grapefruit or a serving size of unsalted cashews + and an apple).

- Eat another balanced good-sized meal a few hours after.

- Close the kitchen. No snacks unless needed which is very rare for me.

- Repeat the next day.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I never used to bother with breakfast until I got a dog & took more exercise. Now I'm hangry if I don't eat within about 30 mins of getting up! The change for me I guess was needing fuel at more regular times though the day.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Wake up around 8am.
    Eat around 2-3 PM. Maybe 2-300 calories.
    Then eat dinner around 7.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I am up at 6am on weekdays and don't eat typically until my lunch break around noon. Sometimes I'll have a cheese stick as a snack to tide me over if I need to. Lunch is about 400-500 calories depending on what I pack. After I'm off work I have a Quest bar (about 4pm). Dinner is around 6pm, and snack after the kids are in bed with whatever calories I have left.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6:45am and usually eat lunch at 1:00pm. I do have a travel mug of coffee with sugar and half & half, but rarely eat anything solid until lunch. I do usually have a hearty lunch though.
  • abacus93jp
    abacus93jp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Also hypoglycemic and I find the symptoms are better controlled the less frequently I eat...I usually get up at 5:30...have 2 cups of water before 7...a cup of coffee around 8...lunch around 1...dinner around 7...water the rest of the time - probably 12 total cups a day...if I start to get that shaky/sleepy/low sugar feeling then I will eat either before lunch or between meals, but for me the more frequently I eat the more frequently I seem to bottom out, so I have fewer episodes if I eat larger meals less frequently than when I was eating every 2-4 hours.

I have hypoglycemia and feel that shaky/sick feeling every four hours if I don't eat. Did you always not eat breakfast or is this something you found helped your symptoms later on? I'm tired of feeling sick and am looking for suggestions to get the symptoms under control. My dr says I should eat 6 small meals but I have noticed that if I don't eat breakfast, I can go longer before the symptoms come on. Confused!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,053 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast or lunch, just drink coffee, usually black in the am, then switch to water. For supper, I eat the majority of my daily calories, eating a LCHF diet. The high fat content keeps me full for the next 23-24 hours until I eat again the next day. I have no hunger, no cravings to eat, and enjoy even energy all day.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do when you are on vacation with people who eat breakfast and lunch or if you have relatives visiting? Do they ever comment and think it's odd?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    Ex: you wake up at 6 am
    And you eat nothing until noon?
    Just water?
    Curious - not bashing.
    At what time do you eat dinner? Do you eat late-night snacks?
    I have a bit of hypoglycemia, so this is interesting.
    People can really go that long without any food?

I wake up at about 7:30 am
    About 10:30 am I have a 100 cal snack.
    About 11:30 am I have a 100 cal snack.
    About 2 pm, I have lunch.
    Etc.
    About 10:30 pm, I have a late-night snack.

I also have a bit of hypoglycemia. But if I have "breakfast" in the traditional sense where people have a bowl of oatmeal or toast or whatever shortly after waking up, I'm ravenously hungry the rest of the day ... it's like breakfast flips the "ON" switch.

• Machka9
    Options
    I'm wondering if people who don't eat in the morning exercise in the morning? I mean, I could exercise on an empty stomach if I did it first thing, but I have to wait 2-3 hours typically and then it's just not possible.

Right now, I do a short walk, and usually climb 10+ flights of stairs before I eat anything.

In the past, for one particular job, I cycled briskly 20-30 min to work in the morning, and then didn't eat anything until about 10:30 am.

At another job, I cycled 1.5 hours to work occasionally. I would do it on an empty stomach, and then when I got to work, I'd have a piece of toast.
  • Machka9
    Options
    What do you guys do when you are on vacation with people who eat breakfast and lunch or if you have relatives visiting? Do they ever comment and think it's odd?

Nope.

On weekends and on vacation, I sleep in. I am NOT a morning person. Not even close. So I'll roll out of bed maybe 10 am, putter around a bit, and eventually have "brunch" maybe around 11:30 am. :)

My husband likes to get up early and eat breakfast ... so he does that while I sleep. Then he has brunch with me when I'm ready for it.

But I do drag myself down to breakfast if it is included in the tariff for the hotel or B&B.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    before being more active, i just had coffee between six and seven in the morning and would eat lunch around noon.
    for vacation breakfast, coffee and nibble on bacon. though most of our vacations are active so on those days, waffles are in order and yogurt
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options

For me it totally depends on the situation.

Example one: I was with my in-laws one night. It wasn't too late, but they wanted to order a pizza. Not only was I out of calories for the day (I already ate dinner and wasn't hungry), but I was not a fan of the pizza they ordered. So when they ate I just drank my tea. Back when I was overweight I would have easily eaten the pizza just because it was there even if I wasn't hungry.

Example two: My guy needs to eat breakfast. When we go on vacations he eats breakfast while I use the hotel's gym.

Example three: If I know I have something special like a night out or an event, I would move my eating window around for that day.

I don't let my eating habits run my life. Not to mention I'm known for being odd anyway and not following the crowd so it hasn't been shock to those in my life. So I have to say it has been pretty easy for me.

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Explain how I do it..... Scheduling just like logging works to track calories, scheduling works to plan feeding times. Do it for awhile and it becomes habit.

Wake up 5 am
    Coffee 5:01 am
    Work 5:05 am
    Ride 9am -12:30
    Food 12:31pm
    Nap 1-2 pm
    Food 3pm
    Do stuff 3:30 -6
    Food 6:30
    Do stuff 7- 11
    Sleep
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,553 Member
    Options
    Usually up at 6am each day. I don't exercise till after 11am (that's when my morning appts. are done). After I go home and have a good lunch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Like most others, I get up between 6-7, days when I work at 5:30 and I just drink water and some coffee until noon or 1. Then I have lunch and I stop eating around 9 ( cause thats when I get ready for bed) Some mornings I'll have fruit, but I struggle to eat in the morning. I'm just naturally not hungry. The earlier I eat the more hungry I am, if that makes sense.