Do you get hungrier when the weather gets cold?

Options
Well, it's definitely autumn in the Chicago area. Leaves are turning, temps are dropping, etc. This is my first cold weather season in probably 20 years where I have not had a lot of extra blubber on my body, and therefore I am constantly cold. I have stopped riding my bike because the cold is making me miserable, and I'm even having trouble getting motivated to get outside and walk. As someone who always ran hot in the past (due to all the extra weight, I'm sure) I am not used to this. It's not even close to being as cold as it's GOING go get in a couple more months, and I'm dreading it.

But even worse, I'm noticing that my appetite has gotten crazy. I not only constantly want to eat, but I constantly want to eat junk food. (White Castle, potato chips, fried stuff, etc.) These are things I have not eaten in MONTHS, but now with the cold weather coming in, I think my body is trying to convince me to pack on some weight to stay warm. I also think part of it is that this kind of weather makes me want to snuggle up in the house, and just doing that makes me think of food for some reason.

Does anyone else have this issue? How do you fight the urge to overeat in cold weather? This is all completely foreign to me. I'm not used to being constantly cold, and I never realized how much overeating I did in the cold months.

Replies

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm Chicago area as well and absolutely agree. This weather makes me want baked goods and lasagna.

I'm in the house more during the fall and winter and I can eat out of boredom as well. I used to pack on 20 lbs from October to February. Now I put on 7 :)

I keep good options in the house. I Eat above or at maintenance some days other days I sit in a deficit. If I gain I cross my fingers and pray some of its muscle and that my cut come February will show that the cake was worth it lolol.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I find myself indulging more and more frequently. For me I think it's tied into not wearing a swim suit every weekend. Nobody is seeing me almost nude all the time so I'm finding it harder to give two fuks about about it. :/ It's also the season at work where people bring in treats and I don't stop eating when I should. It all comes down to my decisions, and I don't think it has anything to do w/ needing to stay warm. I'm plenty warm, even at a healthy weight. My off switch is broken and needs to be fixed badly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    Hot weather can suppress my appetite. I think of my non-hot weather appetite as my normal one. I do want very different foods in the cold weather - salads become distasteful and soups desirable.

Congrats on your 62 pound weight loss to date! How many pounds/week are you trying to lose now? Maybe you're hungry because your weight loss goals are now too aggressive for the few pounds you have left.

Regarding the cold, are you wearing more than you used to? My mom is almost underweight and got a chuckle Wednesday when she was wearing a turtle neck and sweater while I wore a sleeveless shirt.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have foods that I associate with colder weather and I usually start craving them when it cools down--things like baked steak (with gravy and mashed potatoes) I don't make in the summer because it's too hot. In the summer I'm more apt to crave cold watermelon and other fruits, which are much lower in calories per serving. There's definitely a "snuggle up in the house" aspect to it for me.

I was never cold before losing weight either. I started losing in January and felt cold all through the spring until it warmed up. Last winter I weighed 50 pounds less but was eating at maintenance and didn't feel as cold. I think that eating below maintenance has as much (maybe more) to do with feeling cold as losing fat does.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hot weather can suppress my appetite. I think of my non-hot weather appetite as my normal one. I do want very different foods in the cold weather - salads become distasteful and soups desirable.

Congrats on your 62 pound weight loss to date! How many pounds/week are you trying to lose now? Maybe you're hungry because your weight loss goals are now too aggressive for the few pounds you have left.

Regarding the cold, are you wearing more than you used to? My mom is almost underweight and got a chuckle Wednesday when she was wearing a turtle neck and sweater while I wore a sleeveless shirt.

I have my weight loss set to 1 lb. a week, so that comes out to a little over 1700 calories a day. I've thought about taking it down to 1/2 lb. a week, but I'm reluctant to do that, because I've already been stuck at 187 lbs. for the last 2 weeks.

I have been doing a cheat meal once a week, and for that one meal it does feel good to just order something I want from a menu and just eat it and not worry about it. I don't have a full cheat day--it's just for that one meal. But Saturday I did a cheat meal (ordered a burger and fries for dinner) and when we got home, even though my stomach felt full, all I wanted to do was eat and eat and eat. I didn't act on it, but just wanting to is torture.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How long have you been working at losing weight? Have you taken any maintenance breaks? By that I mean a week or two off, eating at maintenance but still logging, not a week to go crazy.

I am a big believer in maintenance breaks (aka diet breaks.) They help physiologically and psychologically with weight loss. When I was losing last year I pretty much only hit "oh it's dinner time" type of hunger, not "I'm famished!" hunger on a regular basis. When I got to the point where I was hungry hungry hungry constantly, I'd take a week off. Within a week of eating at maintenance I'd feel great and then I'd just start up with the restricted calories the next week. It did me a world of good. Here are a couple of articles about taking breaks.

Diet breaks
    * http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
    * http://strengthunbound.com/when-to-take-a-diet-break/
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am the same, as soon as it gets colder, I want to eat more and not the salad stuff ... but what is helping are soups . I make them myself and they are very delicious and keep me and my family warm. A dash of olive oïl, onions, celeries, cabbage, carrots, a few potoatoes and boil for about 20 minutes - blend - and enjoy
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Well, it's definitely autumn in the Chicago area. Leaves are turning, temps are dropping, etc. This is my first cold weather season in probably 20 years where I have not had a lot of extra blubber on my body, and therefore I am constantly cold. I have stopped riding my bike because the cold is making me miserable, and I'm even having trouble getting motivated to get outside and walk. As someone who always ran hot in the past (due to all the extra weight, I'm sure) I am not used to this. It's not even close to being as cold as it's GOING go get in a couple more months, and I'm dreading it.

But even worse, I'm noticing that my appetite has gotten crazy. I not only constantly want to eat, but I constantly want to eat junk food. (White Castle, potato chips, fried stuff, etc.) These are things I have not eaten in MONTHS, but now with the cold weather coming in, I think my body is trying to convince me to pack on some weight to stay warm. I also think part of it is that this kind of weather makes me want to snuggle up in the house, and just doing that makes me think of food for some reason.

Does anyone else have this issue? How do you fight the urge to overeat in cold weather? This is all completely foreign to me. I'm not used to being constantly cold, and I never realized how much overeating I did in the cold months.

I like chunky warming stews, rice and more carb heavy

I find it easier tbh cos I can batch cook big stews
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. I used to be able to leave the windows open in winter (30-40 degrees) and run a fan. 65 degrees was a great temp in the house. I was like a furnace when I was obese.

I lost 118 lbs so far. As I lost weight, I started freezing. Like 71-72 degrees is ideal temp in the house now, but I still will use a blanket on the couch. I am also put off from jogging or cycling outside in weather that's just in the late 50's-60's. I take hot baths Ugh. I read a couple different things about major weight loss and temperature- one said it was hormonal I think and it could level out once we stabilize, but don't quote me, I'm not sure. Another of course is about our metabolism. Metabolism does slow as we lose weight. I found when I started strength training, the temperature issue got a little better and sometimes I'm a furnace again at night after a an intense weightlifting session.

I just try to keep good options in the house and leave room in my calorie budget for those foods that I really want in the cold weather. I got decaf coffee for the night time so I can have a hot drink that isn't like hot chocolate lol. Stuff like that.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am in Indy and lately I have noticed that all I want is comfort food. Like roast and mashed potatoes, creamy chicken and noodles with cornbread or spaghetti and meatballs. Basically anything that cooks for a long time and is creamy, soft in texture and piping hot. In the warmer months, I hardly ever think about these things, but there is something about the fall/winter that makes me want warm comfort food in front of a fireplace. :smile:

I guess my challenge is to find ways to get these foods but stay within goal. I have been doing a lot of googling lately.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I like warmer food when it gets cold, but I think I eat more in the summer (excluding Xmas).
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm with you on this one too. I read something that people put on the most weight from October through December. It is pretty obvious with all of the treats that are around the various holidays. But even with regular meals for me, I want to eat so much more!

It definitely is a struggle. I'm trying hard to keep my goal in mind and not let this time of year get too out of control. Oh, and I am colder too. I'm trying to dress in layers and drink hot drinks that aren't sweetened.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I lose more easily in the winter because there aren't as many BBQs, firepits, beach parties, etc, and because the foods that I crave are naturally lower calorie and high volume - soup, stew, chili, anything eaten with a spoon.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can relate, and I'm a little farther north than you. I bet the wind coming off lake Michigan can be darned cold. I compensate by replacing salads with soups, warm food for cold, hot drinks, insulating clothing, sweaters, and my electric blanket.

The one thing I can't control the thermostat; either at work or at home. (Hubby is a polar bear in disguise).

I suggest you lower your weekly goal; you are so close, and you don't want to be fighting your body.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes. Santa Barbara native here. When we moved to Pittsburgh PA I would stand at the window during blizzards plotting lasagna and cookie baking. All that swirly snow gets my ghrelin flowing!
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How long have you been working at losing weight? Have you taken any maintenance breaks? By that I mean a week or two off, eating at maintenance but still logging, not a week to go crazy.

I am a big believer in maintenance breaks (aka diet breaks.) They help physiologically and psychologically with weight loss. When I was losing last year I pretty much only hit "oh it's dinner time" type of hunger, not "I'm famished!" hunger on a regular basis. When I got to the point where I was hungry hungry hungry constantly, I'd take a week off. Within a week of eating at maintenance I'd feel great and then I'd just start up with the restricted calories the next week. It did me a world of good. Here are a couple of articles about taking breaks.

Diet breaks
    * http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
    * http://strengthunbound.com/when-to-take-a-diet-break/

The last time I got into this situation, I ended up upping my calories from losing 2 lbs. a week to just losing 1 lb. a week. I weigh and measure everything I eat and if I go over for the day, it's usually only by about 50 calories or so. Since I'm just a little over 10 lbs. away from my final goal of 175, I'm thinking I might just up it to 1/2 lb. a week to see how that goes. I need to start thinking about reverse dieting anyway since it's getting so close.

But yeah, I have considered taking a break like you're mentioning here. I'm not freaking out nearly as much about things like that now because I've largely done the work I set out to do except for these pesky last 10 lbs. or so.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Since you've lost that much weight and you are planning to lose more, here is a good forum post on adaptive thermogenesis and why maintenance breaks/ and strength training help combat some of the issues that occur with adaptive thermogenesis.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1
  • Sandy0523
    Sandy0523 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've recently added ground cayenne and maple syrup to my infused waters, that I drink throughout the day. I've also started to eat more soups and drink warm teas! If you're inclined toward a more holistic healing type approach, cayenne flower essence will help warm the blood. You can find flower essences at health food or nutrition stores, they are usually sold with emotional health in mind, but they do have physical effects on the body! Cayenne warms the blood and increases metabolism.

I am also struggling with the feeling of cold recently. This will also be my first winter since losing 40+ pounds! I have a few other factors I'm struggling with, that I think are hindering my weight-loss goals and are adding to my difficulty keeping warm and wanting to eat the comfort foods! Thyroid and menopause mainly! Earlier October I reset my intake goal to what I thought was maintenance and still worked out five days a weeks. But ever since I've been struggling to not gain! I was bouncing between 5 to 8 pounds away from my goal weight! But now at a maintenance intake goal, I keep adding 2 to 3 pounds so now I'm 7 to 10 pounds away from my goal. I'm not saying you shouldn't put your goal at maintenance, especially if it's been a real struggle recently. But just be aware that it might become a struggle if you're still wanting to lose.

I've decided to reset my goal back at my normal deficit! And I'm giving my body a break and being very nice to myself! My body is not used to losing weight during the season that we are programmed to gain! I'm feeling the cold in my bones and in my joints so I'm making sure to keep moving but I'm also getting massage and taking warm baths to ease the muscles and the aches! And I am not a bath type person!!! I don't like soaking in the tub, I am an in and out, shower girl! I'm wearing gloves when I go walking, I have my raincoat and warm longsleeve shirts and sweaters to wear under it! I have my weatherproof hiking boots and winter gear for when the snow gets here! I'm also tanning which makes me feel warm and wonderful! Essentially I'm providing my body with other comforts than food! I figure it's about retraining the programming that our bodies have been used to for years! It might be a struggle this year but we'll get through it!!

Best of luck and keep your spirits up!
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Its easier for me to lose weight in the winter. The cold makes me want to exercise harder to warm up lol. Also, stews, pastas, soups and so on tend to be quite filling for the calories in my opinion.

My downfall in the summer months are iced lattes, lemonades, frappuccinos, you get the idea ;)
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    there is nothing wrong with slowing your loss for a while to see how you feel. When you get closer to the end you will probably want to do that anyway

I don't crave MORE food but I do crave different foods. I cannot remember the last time I had a lettuce salad. I'm all about spinach, kale, shaved brussel sprouts now. And, I roasted a chicken last night and then turned the carcus into broth. I'm sooo looking forward to that soup

I take lots of hot baths in the winter (with nice bath salts). And, I love to build a fire in the fireplace and read my book. While we sleep with the window open for fresh air, I do pile on extra blankets, that's for sure. And, I knit so I have lots of really cozy sweaters. I can't say I'm colder as I've lost weight (50 year old women are generally going the other way) but I do love getting cozy.