Skip breakfast tips

Options
Hello everyone,

I've done a bit of reading and learned that skipping breakfast is quite likely not all that bad for you. Many believe there are many benefits in skipping a meal, particularly breakfast, which tends to be high-carb.

I'd like to skip breakfast mainly so I an save time in the mornings, but I find it extremely challenging. Breakfast has been like a religion for me for the past few years...

Do you know of any ways to drop/ease out of this habit?

Replies

• KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, but that's mainly due to waking up and not having an appetite until lunch time or I sleep in so I miss breakfast! You should just stick to eating breakfast if you wake up feeling hungry because skipping breakfast won't help with weightloss
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    KT_3009 wrote: »
    I don't eat breakfast, but that's mainly due to waking up and not having an appetite until lunch time or I sleep in so I miss breakfast! You should just stick to eating breakfast if you wake up feeling hungry because skipping breakfast won't help with weightloss

+1
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'll skip lunch or dinner before I ever think about skipping breakfast.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If it's a time issue you can prepare breakfast ahead of time: Overnight oats, prep egg muffins, freeze and heat in the microwave in the morning, make a casserole on Sunday and heat up through the week. You could also just eat packaged breakfast like pop tarts, cereal bars etc as you're running out the door. Skipping breakfast probably isn't bad for you unless you are actually hungry in the mornings. I know if I am hungry and don't eat I end up way overindulging and eating everything in sight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Skipping isn't bad for you, but it's not good for you either -- it's neutral, just personal preference. I wouldn't bother trying to drop it if I liked it, then.

However, if you want, you could try not eating it for a week and see how it affects your desire to eat at other times and energy level and the rest. If you are someone who can adjust easily to that, you will. If not, it's not a good strategy for you. Or you could just change up what you eat at breakfast time. I love breakfast and eat it, but I don't eat a high carb breakfast at all (not that there's anything wrong with carbs) -- I make sure I get about 30 grams of protein and vegetables with mine. (Usually this is a 2-egg vegetable omelet with some other protein, like low fat cottage cheese or greek yogurt or smoked salmon, on the side.)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt plus a small amount of peanut butter for breakfast, along with coffee. That's fast and nutritious.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Why specifically do you find it challenging? You say it's 'been like a religion to you'. Is it just breaking the habit, or is it because you find yourself hungry/sluggish? Any advice would change based on what specifically the challenge is.

If it's just a habit - I'd suggest maybe keeping your typical breakfast foods out of your pantry for a time. Or set yourself a new morning routine (maybe set your alarm clock forward 15 minutes so you don't have time). That's behavioral, and needs behavior modification.

If you're finding it difficult because you're hungry or sluggish, or finding it difficult to function without eating breakfast, then I guess I'd question why you want to cut it out to begin with. I'd agree with whatever you read that indicated breakfast isn't necessary...but that doesn't automatically mean you should cut it out. Some people do well functioning through the morning with little/nothing to eat. Others (myself included) would struggle if I didn't eat at least a little something in the morning.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    MissBakery wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I've done a bit of reading and learned that skipping breakfast is quite likely not all that bad for you. Many believe there are many benefits in skipping a meal, particularly breakfast, which tends to be high-carb.

I'd like to skip breakfast mainly so I an save time in the mornings, but I find it extremely challenging. Breakfast has been like a religion for me for the past few years...

Do you know of any ways to drop/ease out of this habit?

How do you stop eating breakfast?
    • Call it "brunch" and do it later.
    • Get up at lunch and avoid the issue.
    • Don't stop at McDonald's. They serve breakfast all day long now.

You could have a low-carb breakfast if that's all your avoiding.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I used to live by the myth that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and that you MUST eat breakfast to lose weight. Now, most days I only eat a fig bar (110 calories) and a cup of coffee before lunch and have been losing just fine. I think not eating a lot in the am helps me not obsess about food all day.

I get up early and walk about 3-4 miles in the morning. For me, mild exercise actually seems to suppress my appetite. Also, I usually have a larger dinner and a small late-night snack, so I'm not starving when I wake up.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Eat when your body is hungry. I skip breakfast sometimes, but I also know that when the stomach gets to growling, I need to respond or I'm gonna binge later. There's no magic formula to losing weight, and that includes skipping breakfast. Some people on here you can see their diary and breakfast is the biggest meal of the day, and they've all lost weight just fine. If the carb thing really bothers you, do what @_Waffle_ said and do something lower carb.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I generally eat a bar and coffee or yogurt. I like to eat small, small, BIG and snacks thrown in. The higher the fiber and protein in a bar the fuller I feel for longer.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you like, it really doesn't matter.

I have my first meal of the day at 11, but it's my personal preference.

Also, there is no such a thing as "breakfast food", what people eat for breakfast changes in every country.
  • beckyszajna
    beckyszajna Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I usually have yogurt and coffee for breakfast or I'm hungry in the afternoon. If I'm really running late I pick up low fat chocolate milk. It makes me full at least (I also take adderall so my hunger is a bit different than most of you)
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Pack a little something like an apple, yogurt, or boiled egg the night before. You can grab it as you leave and have it before lunch if you get hungry.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Artemiris wrote: »
    Also, there is no such a thing as "breakfast food", what people eat for breakfast changes in every country.

I used the term in reference to what this specific OP typically eats for breakfast, not worldwide breakfast trends.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie allowance, it doesn't matter when you eat. Breakfast, 2pm or midnight, just stay below your allowance. Your body doesn't care WHEN you eat, it cares WHAT you eat. I don't skip breakfast often.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I used the term in reference to what this specific OP typically eats for breakfast, not worldwide breakfast trends.

I had to go back and read your previous message, because I wasn't specifically referring to what you wrote. :)

We don't know what OP eats for breakfast, anyway. Nor where she is from.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If you have religiously had breakfast every day up until now, I really can't see why you would choose to stop!
    Skipping breakfast certainly doesn't speed up or even effect weight loss in the slightest, so eat your breakfast and remember - this genuinely is a 'lifestyle change'. Changing every day actions that aren't 'the norm' for you is only going to get on your nerves. Personally, I could never go without breakfast. In fact, I'm literally eating all day! I just stick to my calorie allowance!
  • Brownilocks
    Brownilocks Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I had to go back and read your previous message, because I wasn't specifically referring to what you wrote. :)

Thanks everyone for the great input! :)

I'm Living in Denmark now, where we typically eat rolls with butter and honey for breakfast. Danishes and pastries if it's something really special... :disappointed:

I guess it would be best to keep breakfast (since I do feel lousy if I skip), but try high fat & protein breakfasts. The real problem is my craving for sugar in the mornings. I don't have such a great appetite for casseroles and eggs for breakfast.

Anyone have ideas for high fat & protein breakfasts that are on the sweet side, besides yogurt and nuts?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

OK, my apologies then. I assumed since I was the only one in the thread that had used that term that it was directed at me.