Slim Fast? Any success stories

Options

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Thank for the support guys and the rude people, jog on. My weight has creapt up to 220lbs due to food allergies and my body can't handle food. So thanks rude people for making me feel even shitter about what I can't eat.

You did not get to 220lbs by not being able to handle food. If your body can't handle ANY food you'd be dead.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago

Did I get a short term weight loss? Yes, as long as my willpower held out ..probably a couple of weeks to a couple of months maximum

Did I then take that short term result and build on it with real food...nope, I just swung back to normal overeating because I'd learned nothing ..ended up putting on more weight and so the cycle would continue with the next quick fix that I knew was going to work this time

It took me 30 years to realise that the fads, the minutiae of the dieting industry and the quick-fix solutions simply don't work

Throw it all away your entire belief system, everyone's well meaning advice, every media article and celebrity endorsement, the super foods, the easy paths, the supplements and aids...it's all nonsense

Weigh your food, log your food accurately ...hit your defecit across the week...adjust your eating patterns as you learn wch foods fill you up, what are your go to foods, habits, treats, snacks

Move more...doesn't have to be exercise..just walk more

If you have the will heavy resistance work but something progressive to protect your LBM

Succeed in changing your mindset for life...seriously I've just come back from a weekend blow out...major family celebration involving food I had no control over from Friday night to Sunday morning....I ate what I wanted but tried to choose well with a slight feeling of I can deal with whatever weight gain from this one weekend in the next week...I was grabbing handfuls of kids sweets, eating my fathers birthday cake, drinking, going for curry ..but also walking the dog with my mother

Fully expected 1-2lb increase this morning, scale weight down by 0.6lb

Because I've finally, at my old age learned how to do this

I hope you, and everyone reading, can do the same

Calories in vs calories out

• Sued0nim
    Options
    That was long...sorry :#
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Thank for the support guys and the rude people, jog on. My weight has creapt up to 220lbs due to food allergies and my body can't handle food. So thanks rude people for making me feel even shitter about what I can't eat.

I can only consume - rice , chicken, lettuce, cucumber, oranges, apples, rum!

If I eat anything else I end up with my stomach swelling, not being able to work and sometimes put in hospital. By trying these shakes Iv been fine and not I'll once which is really making me feel happy!

I know it's not a lifelong thing, I'm going on holiday and quick weight loss. But telling me I'm not on a proper diet, with my allergies I never will be.

Your weight has crept up because you eat more than you burn

Sorry you have allergies but that is quite a small list of tolerated foods

There is no way you should be drinking an over the counter diet supplement drink if you have major diagnosed allergies ...no way at all

These pieces of information do not work together
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Also http://ebrandaid.com/health-drinks/slim-fast-pulls-a-fast-one/

Nobody with serious food allergies would ingest that

INGREDIENTS: Fat Free Milk, Sugar, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Canola Oil, Fructose, Calcium Caseinate, Gum Arabic, Cellulose Gel, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Mono and Diglycerides, Potassium Phosphate, Soybean Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Isolated Soy Protein, Artificial Flavor, Maltodextrin, Sucralose and Acesulfame (Nonnutritive Sweeteners), Dextrose, Potassium Carrageenan, Citric Acid and Sodium Citrate. Vitamins and Minerals: Magnesium Phosphate, Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin E Acetate, Zinc Gluconate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone (Vitamin K1), Sodium Selenite, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) and Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3).
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    No I wouldn't want to waste precious calories on a drink I'm greedy like that lol
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Also http://ebrandaid.com/health-drinks/slim-fast-pulls-a-fast-one/

Nobody with serious food allergies would ingest that

INGREDIENTS: Fat Free Milk, Sugar, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Canola Oil, Fructose, Calcium Caseinate, Gum Arabic, Cellulose Gel, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Mono and Diglycerides, Potassium Phosphate, Soybean Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Isolated Soy Protein, Artificial Flavor, Maltodextrin, Sucralose and Acesulfame (Nonnutritive Sweeteners), Dextrose, Potassium Carrageenan, Citric Acid and Sodium Citrate. Vitamins and Minerals: Magnesium Phosphate, Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin E Acetate, Zinc Gluconate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone (Vitamin K1), Sodium Selenite, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) and Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3).

Exactly. How can someone who is unable to eat almost every food known to man eat that list of ingredients. It's full of some of the most common allergens...
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It might be wise to consult a dietitian to work out how to meet your nutritional needs from the foods you can eat.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

I can only consume - rice , chicken, lettuce, cucumber, oranges, apples, rum!

If I eat anything else I end up with my stomach swelling, not being able to work and sometimes put in hospital. By trying these shakes Iv been fine and not I'll once which is really making me feel happy!

I know it's not a lifelong thing, I'm going on holiday and quick weight loss. But telling me I'm not on a proper diet, with my allergies I never will be.

I only saw one person being outwardly rude to you.

I'm confused at how your weight has crept up despite not being able to handle food? The food you say your body is able to handle are all 'good' foods - It's the quantity that you have been eating, not the allergies (And I'm not being rude here). I'd suggest visiting your doctor and speaking through the slimfast plan with him/her - if you are food sensitive, this may not be right move for you..

You say you are going on holiday and want quick weight loss - do you have any plans for your return? How are you going to prevent returning to your original weight?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options
    I prefer to eat my food. But each to their own. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I tried them a few years ago, I found that having something so sweet for my first 2 meals just made me want to keep on with the sweet stuff. As soon as I stopped on them, I gained it all back.

And I'm sorry, but there's no way someone with such severe intolerance/allergies can be tolerating SlimFast. You're obviously able to eat far more than just rice , chicken, lettuce, cucumber, oranges, apples, rum.
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Maybe the OP genuinely gained weight as her body had a bad reaction to CERTAIN types of food. We can't know that, and we don't have enough information about her current circumstances to make sweeping assumptions. If she can tolerate Slimfast whilst having severe in-tolerances then she can tolerate it. Without being experts on her life, it's not really wise to be judgmental or rude to someone simply asking for help, or from people also following her diet/ way of eating/ whatever you want to call it.

(I'm not saying that it's not the case it wasn't impossible she gained that weight through over-eating. But bodies are mysterious things, and certain medications, conditions and hormone imbalances can wreck havoc with them. Source - my very own mother).

Anyway, have never tried Slimfast myself past a sip of my aunt's when I was 7 as I got curious. If it's working for you, excellent, and best of luck with your goals.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I find that MFP is not very friendly towards those kinds of restrictive diets. You might find better support elsewhere.

That said, I'm glad that it's working for you so far. Like any calorie restrictive plan, stick with it and you will get results. Unless you plan on living on shakes for the rest of your life, hopefully later on you can try to balance your shakes with portion/calorie controlled meals. That will help you keep up your healthy habits for good. Good luck!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I tried Slim Fast and it made ravenous by dinnertime. It gave me diarrhea, made me hungry and I had absolutely no energy to do anything. I am in the unsuccessful camp. What ever works for you but you do not learn how to eat for the rest of your life.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Maybe the OP genuinely gained weight as her body had a bad reaction to CERTAIN types of food. We can't know that, and we don't have enough information about her current circumstances to make sweeping assumptions. If she can tolerate Slimfast whilst having severe in-tolerances then she can tolerate it. Without being experts on her life, it's not really wise to be judgmental or rude to someone simply asking for help, or from people also following her diet/ way of eating/ whatever you want to call it.

(I'm not saying that it's not the case it wasn't impossible she gained that weight through over-eating. But bodies are mysterious things, and certain medications, conditions and hormone imbalances can wreck havoc with them. Source - my very own mother).

Anyway, have never tried Slimfast myself past a sip of my aunt's when I was 7 as I got curious. If it's working for you, excellent, and best of luck with your goals.

If the OP has that much water retention she would still be in hospital

You gain weight (as in fat) by overeating ...there is no magical condition that I am aware of that creates energy out of nothing

There are medical conditions that affect metabolism so your TDEE might be lower than expected, thankfully rare, but same rules apply calories in > calories out = weight gain

Did you read the slim fast ingredients? Dairy, soy, sugar etc ...all tolerated then but not in list of 5 specific foods
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It might be wise to consult a dietitian to work out how to meet your nutritional needs from the foods you can eat.

Yes, this.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes, this.

This is probably the best piece of advice on this thread.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    IDK, man. I tried it and hated it. To each their own I guess.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Success stories? Yeah the Slim Fast stock holders.

• SierraGolf223
    SierraGolf223 Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I use the shakes as a grab-and-go breakfast because my time to eat is when I'm driving to work. They are great and I find when paired with a fruit, a suitable meal replacement (and keep me from stopping for a donut or other fast junk). IF I woke up extra early, I could probably cook myself something nice or sit and enjoy a bowl of oatmeal, but at this point in my life, I'm far to busy and I've grown used to drinking breakfast most days of the week.

However, I think I could do better making my own blend. I've been researching other options, top choice combines protein/oatmeal/chia/milk. I'll be purchasing a coffee grinder later this week to grind the chia and oatmeal into a fine powder. Then I think I'm going to premake the oatmeal/chia overnight oats style in my blender bottle and add protein, additional liquid and the blender ball in the morning.