Slim Fast? Any success stories

Options
13»

Replies

• mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Questionable ingredients aside, drinking a shake does not instill new habits of thinking and eating for long-term weight loss.
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If the OP has that much water retention she would still be in hospital

You gain weight (as in fat) by overeating ...there is no magical condition that I am aware of that creates energy out of nothing

There are medical conditions that affect metabolism so your TDEE might be lower than expected, thankfully rare, but same rules apply calories in > calories out = weight gain

Did you read the slim fast ingredients? Dairy, soy, sugar etc ...all tolerated then but not in list of 5 specific foods

Nope - thank you I'll take your word for it. I can honestly say I have no interest in Slimfast or their products. Whilst I appreciate it works for people, it's not something I'd consider trying.

You're right; these conditions are rare, but just because they are rare doesn't mean they don't exist. After three pregnancies my own mother developed a rare thyroid disease which caused her to gain a lot of weight (or lowered her TDEE so she in turn put weight on) with no change to her dietary/ exercise habits. I'm hardly an expert, but as I understand it various types of birth control, anti-depressants can do the same with no changes to one's eating habits.

Well, I didn't come here looking for an argument either way. My point was more regarding that it could be the case that the OP's reasons for weight gain are purely medical. Unlikely, perhaps, just as these medical conditions causing such things are rare, but not impossible. I just see no real need to make assumptions or attack someone (not saying you were personally attacking anyone, on that matter) without knowing the full story. Plus, I believe she was here looking for Slimfast success stories - not to be told that her method of weight loss was wrong or unsustainable.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thank for the support guys and the rude people, jog on. My weight has creapt up to 220lbs due to food allergies and my body can't handle food. So thanks rude people for making me feel even shitter about what I can't eat.

I can only consume - rice , chicken, lettuce, cucumber, oranges, apples, rum!

If I eat anything else I end up with my stomach swelling, not being able to work and sometimes put in hospital.
    By trying these shakes Iv been fine and not I'll once which is really making me feel happy!

I know it's not a lifelong thing, I'm going on holiday and quick weight loss. But telling me I'm not on a proper diet, with my allergies I never will be.

I'm sorry but your weight crept up to 220lbs because you are eating more calories than you burn. Using the slim fast shakes to get your weight loss started is fine; especially if it is working for you. You may find that way if eating very hard to follow long term. Wouldn't it be a good idea to learn how to eat in a healthy, enjoyable and sustainable way? You say you have major food intolerances. I apologize if this is a stupid question but are you seeing a doctor about your food allergies? Or are you self-diagnosing? (Not judging, I've done that myself but found out the hard way I was wrong. Doctors spend all that time in med school for a reason). I peeked into your food diary. I noticed that you had logged beef lasagna, garlic bread and quiche. Those items don't match the list you posted above. I hope you are getting professional help with your dietary issues; it not please do so. Food allergies can be miserable but getting help from the proper health care professionals will help you manage it and help with your weight loss.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If the OP has that much water retention she would still be in hospital

You gain weight (as in fat) by overeating ...there is no magical condition that I am aware of that creates energy out of nothing

There are medical conditions that affect metabolism so your TDEE might be lower than expected, thankfully rare, but same rules apply calories in > calories out = weight gain

Did you read the slim fast ingredients? Dairy, soy, sugar etc ...all tolerated then but not in list of 5 specific foods

Nope - thank you I'll take your word for it. I can honestly say I have no interest in Slimfast or their products. Whilst I appreciate it works for people, it's not something I'd consider trying.

You're right; these conditions are rare, but just because they are rare doesn't mean they don't exist. After three pregnancies my own mother developed a rare thyroid disease which caused her to gain a lot of weight (or lowered her TDEE so she in turn put weight on) with no change to her dietary/ exercise habits. I'm hardly an expert, but as I understand it various types of birth control, anti-depressants can do the same with no changes to one's eating habits.

Well, I didn't come here looking for an argument either way. My point was more regarding that it could be the case that the OP's reasons for weight gain are purely medical. Unlikely, perhaps, just as these medical conditions causing such things are rare, but not impossible. I just see no real need to make assumptions or attack someone (not saying you were personally attacking anyone, on that matter) without knowing the full story. Plus, I believe she was here looking for Slimfast success stories - not to be told that her method of weight loss was wrong or unsustainable.

1) birth control doesn't do that. If it causes weight gain, it's because it's affected your appetite and you have changed your eating habits. That and a slight increase in water weight.

2) Here's my success story: I tried slim fast several times and succeeded at going from overweight to morbidly obese anyway. The shakes may make a good grab-and-go meal replacement now and then, but they taste terrible (subjective) and don't keep you full (possibly also subjective). If I were the OP, I'd use that list of approved foods, which are pretty filling and low calorie, to my advantage. Congrats on the rum, by the way!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I have bought the shakes from the grocery store in the past and find them not very tasty but really overpriced for what they are. I haven't ever joined SF though.

I do protein shakes, but I buy my own protein and add my own stuff to make them filling and it's tastier and cheaper. I don't think I could exist on two small SF shakes during the day though. They're tiny! My shake I make is 32 oz and only about 300-ish calories and it lasts me all afternoon. (And by last, i mean, it keeps me satisfied and not hungry.)

I remember drinking the SF shakes for lunch and then being ravished within about an hour.

Now that's a shake I can get on board with ! :wink:
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I have bought the shakes from the grocery store in the past and find them not very tasty but really overpriced for what they are. I haven't ever joined SF though.

I do protein shakes, but I buy my own protein and add my own stuff to make them filling and it's tastier and cheaper. I don't think I could exist on two small SF shakes during the day though. They're tiny! My shake I make is 32 oz and only about 300-ish calories and it lasts me all afternoon. (And by last, i mean, it keeps me satisfied and not hungry.)

I remember drinking the SF shakes for lunch and then being ravished within about an hour.

Now that's a shake I can get on board with ! :wink:

Yes, please!
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've been using the Slim Fast low sugar/High Protein formula for 4 days now. It's an upgrade in price over regular Slim Fast,but I am willing to pay more for less sugar & more protein. I was a little skeptical that it would fill me up,but after 4 days,I am surprised, it does fill me up. It's 180 calories,I eat one first thing in the morning with coffee, then one for lunch with a yogurt or salad,and it holds me over till Dinner. So far,so good,I will stick with it and hope to see results on the scale. I like the Strawberry & Chocolate flavors.

Here's the nutritional info:
    20g Protein
    5g Fiber
    1g Sugar
    Gluten Free, Lactose Free
    4 Hour Hunger Control*

Also, these are only about $1.50 a piece at WalMart. I found a very similar product at Costco,same formula,same sugar,but 30 grams of Protein! Its called Premier Protein, and it's about a $1.40 per bottle