Question re: weightlifting bench

Hi,

Quick Question - I'm new to lifting and I have finally set up a decent home gym and am excited to have started lifting The Big 5.

I have always suffered from minor lower back pain. When I lie on the weightlifting bench (for bench presses), with my feet on the ground either side, my lower back naturally arches off the bench (even when I'm doing nothing - i.e. JUST lying there). This is uncomfortable for me. When bench-pressing, should I:
a) keep my feet on the floor and concentrate on pushing my lower back into the bench as I lift
b) lift my feet up onto the bench (with knees bent) as opposed to keeping them on the floor? This automatically straightens out my lower back to the bench and is comfortable (I have done this, but I suspect this isn't what I "should" be doing)
c) put something (a pillow?) under my lower back?
d) something else?

Many thanks for any advice.

(I did try searching previous posts because I know there are a lot of questions from newbie lifters, but it was hard to find anything specifically re: this point)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2015
    Your lower back does not need to touch the bench. Your butt and upper back/shoulders should be on it but lower back arch is normal. You might try putting plates or boxes on the floor to put your feet on for now if you are uncomfortable. As you become more flexible, you may be able to stop using them (depends on your height and the height of the bench.)

I would not put my feet up on the bench because it will make you more unstable.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Lower back arching in bench is fine, but what do you mean by uncomfortable? Pain, unnatural feeling, etc?
  • Big5BigChange
    Big5BigChange Posts: 56 Member
    Thanks jemhh for the "feet on plates" idea - that's great - AND for the reassurance that my back is doing the "right thing".

LolBroScience - thanks for replying. Uncomfortable = a general ache. I have it a lot - even when not putting any strain on it (so I don't think it is cause by unnatural movement). I get it even if I'm just standing around for too long. And (perhaps TMI), but when I sleep, I generally sleep in the foetal position - i.e. legs crunched up, because lying straight makes my back ache after a while. I think I moved something heavy that I shouldn't have done a good ten years ago (I'm "only" 36 - yikes) and it has just never been quite the same.

Thanks again both, for taking the time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Have you ever had it checked out? In the past 10 years? If not, do it. You're only 36. It doesn't make sense to spend the next 50 years with a backache if it could be helped.
  • alexjvolk
    alexjvolk Posts: 22 Member
    I echo @jemhh 's sentiment. Even as a powerlifter I don't have pain like that. And I have some extreme arch. It is very common for the pelvis to be twisted slightly which brings a lot of pressure and misery to the lower back.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    alexjvolk wrote: »
    I echo @jemhh 's sentiment. Even as a powerlifter I don't have pain like that. And I have some extreme arch. It is very common for the pelvis to be twisted slightly which brings a lot of pressure and misery to the lower back.

Very much agree with this. We know the cause of my back issues and are working to correct them. In the meantime, having a very high arch doesn't bother me at all.
  • Big5BigChange
    Thanks all. You've really made me think with your sensible comments. You don't think something is odd until others say, "hey, that's not normal". I'm not a very active "doctor-goer", but you're right: there isn't a good reason why I should live with this. I am healthy and fairly active otherwise. My back pain has been so low-level, for so long, that I've just got used to ignoring it/living with it. I might have done more damage that way.

Advice noted. Thanks again all.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    look up Leg Drive on the bench, Your back shouldn't be touching the bench, even your butt shouldnt be touching the bench if you are completely tight , tight glutes, lats , legs, tight core, you will take pressure off your back and it shouldn't hurt when you are fully engaged for the lift and driving though your legs. An arch is normal when you are fully engaged on the bench.
  • LolBroScience
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    look up Leg Drive on the bench, Your back shouldn't be touching the bench, even your butt shouldnt be touching the bench if you are completely tight , tight glutes, lats , legs, tight core, you will take pressure off your back and it shouldn't hurt when you are fully engaged for the lift and driving though your legs. An arch is normal when you are fully engaged on the bench.

What?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes

What?

I know for me there is practically no weight down on my glutes when I bench - it's mostly gripped down by chalk
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Bowflex. Posted earlier but doesn't seem to have gone thru. Bowflex gives gradual increase in resistance so easy on joints-helps me a lot with old joints. Compared to free weights the actual resistance is about 1/2.
  • LolBroScience

What?

I know for me there is practically no weight down on my glutes when I bench - it's mostly gripped down by chalk

It's touching though, no?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes

What?

Umm, just barely. Make sure on heavy singles to keep it touching, but the video I posted today shows how little pressure I put on it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member

What?

Umm, just barely. Make sure on heavy singles to keep it touching, but the video I posted today shows how little pressure I put on it.

How does that workout when you compete? Don't all federations require that your butt is touching? Or are you able to ride that line with your form?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    @Sam_I_Am77 They require contact and to not actually lose contact throughout the lift, not actually bearing weight on it. In 31 platform benches my butt as come up off the bench once. And that one was a split second before I hit complete ATP failure.
  • jslarsen1971
    jslarsen1971 Posts: 1 Member
    This used to be me too. I started working out A LOT starting in February and am still at it. Slowly the pain went away. The problem was that my back was just too weak from sitting at a desk job my whole life. Now, I have no pain at all. I recommend starting slowly with your lifting so you don't get hurt. An injury early on takes forever to heal and kills motivation.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    @Sam_I_Am77 They require contact and to not actually lose contact throughout the lift, not actually bearing weight on it. In 31 platform benches my butt as come up off the bench once. And that one was a split second before I hit complete ATP failure.

Ah, gotcha'. I was just curious, I've heard some federations are different with requirements and what not. Some judge more meticulously than others, but I didn't know first-hand. Thanks! :smile:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Ah, gotcha'. I was just curious, I've heard some federations are different with requirements and what not. Some judge more meticulously than others, but I didn't know first-hand. Thanks! :smile:

You're welcome. Different Feds are different rules, but both my primary and my fun Feds are head, shoulders, butt down and feet flat.
  • Big5BigChange
    An injury early on takes forever to heal and kills motivation.

Good point. Thank you jslarsen1971