Low Fat Diet

Options
I entered in MFP for a solid week what I NORMALLY do without any dieting or exercise. I've been reviewing my reports in MFP and the thing that stands out most is that I need to cut back on the fat in my diet. What are some strategies you use to cut the fat?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    That was a smart way to start, by logging what you were eating.

How much fat do you eat? There's a wide range of fat percentages that can be healthy, and some find eating more fat makes them more satisfied/fuller. Personally, I don't, and cutting fat was part of how I cut calories, although I don't eat a low fat diet at all.

Anyway, the easiest thing to do is look at where you are getting your fat -- that's one way logging is helpful. If it's largely from meat, switch some meals to leaner cuts or options (no need to always go for the leanest, though). If it's oil or butter, consider that you can probably use a lot less and still get the benefits for cooking or in dressings (this was something I did). If you use full fat dairy experiment with lower fat, if you use lots of cheese, consider using less and trying other ways (like herbs and spices or stronger tasting cheeses like feta) to add flavor. Stuff like that.

Restaurant meals can be a big culprit too, of course, and snack foods -- I personally cut back on snacking in general and am pickier about what I get from restaurants.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No-fat dairy! If I knew how to make those little hearts, I'd put one there. :)

Other than that, I just check the labels!

I eat a super-low-fat diet, so I just exclude a lot of things with fat in them. People who eat normal diets can just look at what they eat and cut back on some, cut some out, whatever. Just tweak until you find you're in a good spot for you. And remember that you don't have to do it overnight. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    A healthy fat range appears to be somewhere between 10 and 85%, with most people around here being close to 30% (my estimation).

IMO, fat is usually good for people except when paired with a bunch of sugar - that is not the most healthy food combination for me.
  • woodsltw
    woodsltw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I've made progress on adjusting breakfast fats (the bad kind). I'm getting creative with oatmeal. I have work to do with other meals. Snacks? I'm looking for filling snacks, not celery.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Fruit? Berries are full of fibre and I love their taste so pack a small container of them.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Low fat diets make me feel stabby! But that's just me...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    woodsltw wrote: »
    I entered in MFP for a solid week what I NORMALLY do without any dieting or exercise. I've been reviewing my reports in MFP and the thing that stands out most is that I need to cut back on the fat in my diet. What are some strategies you use to cut the fat?
    What percentage are you aiming for? That might help us give you suggestions.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Adjust your macros if you need to. Some go for the 30p/30f/40c.
    scolaris wrote: »
    Low fat diets make me feel stabby! But that's just me...
    Same here!
    I get between 60g-85g of various fats per day.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I too found fats to be my biggest challenge. I don't eat a lot of dairy but when I do I make it nonfat or lowfat. I was already eating lean meats as I have an aversion to meat fat.

But mostly I just don't add as much fat as I'd like when cooking. If olive oil were calorie free I'd have all my food swimming in it. Unfortunately it's not.

I do still snack on nuts. I will not give those up.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    woodsltw wrote: »
    Thank you all! I've made progress on adjusting breakfast fats (the bad kind). I'm getting creative with oatmeal. I have work to do with other meals. Snacks? I'm looking for filling snacks, not celery.

My usual go to is reduced fat Polly-O String Cheese, reduced fat Wheat Thins or Triscuits with a little bit of hummus or all-natural peanut butter

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I eat lower fat (reflux)....no meal is loaded with fat. Limit gravies (or use a fat separator to make low fat gravy). Choose broth based soups, not creamy ones. Applesauce can be substituted for oil in many baked goods. Lower fat dressings taste much better than fat free ones....just learn to limit the amount you use.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You probably need to INCREASE healthy fats. Aim for at least 35 percent.