Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I'm a failure and disappointment to myself...

2»

Replies

• runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    I have been logging straight for 450 days and have only lost 10 pounds. All of the above are great advice points. The biggest acceptance is that your weight loss isn't "a project" and then it is over. Weight maintenance is a lifetime habit. And you can't see what is ahead of you if you keep looking back.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    As others have said, don't be hard on yourself. I lost 120 lbs and gained almost all of it back during a nasty divorce. I realized I couldn't live like I was because I was miserable not being able to do the things I had learned to enjoy, like running and hiking, so I have started the journey again. It's something you have to want to do for you, not for anyone else. We all have set backs and failures, nobody is perfect! We all have to learn from our failures and just keep moving forward, no sense in beating yourself up over them.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Everyone wants motivation. I agree it's a great thing but discipline is more important in my opinion. When you discipline yourself to do it, you make no excuses. You just do it. If you don't want to log, you do it anyways. If you don't want to exercise, you do it... It's not easy. Motivation doesn't always last. Discipline does. Most choices we make are habits. Turn bad habits into good habits... Attitude is important. You have to decide you will do this. If you don't, you will give yourself permission to eat badly or quit or make excuses. Not trying to be rude by no means. I'm being completely honest.
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    I have not read through everything. But I am starting back today. In fact I was so tired yesterday, but I still managed to get pack my dinner for work tonight. I will be eating the same thing for 3 days, because I am lazy and do not want to cook something every day. I work full time- school full time but I weigh more than I ever have and if I don't do something now..the next step is 300 pounds. I am not to far from it. So I know I better get my butt going. I do know when I take classes next semester I am taking some type of work out class. I am also rearranging my schedule for water aerobics every Monday.

Thursday is my treat day. I take the 2 year old I babysit for to get gelatto. We walk there and back which is about 6 blocks. If I have her good stroller than we go for a nice walk weather permitting. We share the gelatto, and I think I feed her way more of it than me.

Add me as a friend if you would like.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    bluvsu wrote: »
    I have not read through everything. But I am starting back today. In fact I was so tired yesterday, but I still managed to get pack my dinner for work tonight. I will be eating the same thing for 3 days, because I am lazy and do not want to cook something every day. I work full time- school full time but I weigh more than I ever have and if I don't do something now..the next step is 300 pounds. I am not to far from it. So I know I better get my butt going. I do know when I take classes next semester I am taking some type of work out class. I am also rearranging my schedule for water aerobics every Monday.

Thursday is my treat day. I take the 2 year old I babysit for to get gelatto. We walk there and back which is about 6 blocks. If I have her good stroller than we go for a nice walk weather permitting. We share the gelatto, and I think I feed her way more of it than me.

Add me as a friend if you would like.

Nothing wrong with eating the same thing for one or two meals every day. That's what I do; I'm lazy and it makes logging easier! ^_^
  • healthy_lovez
    healthy_lovez Posts: 36 Member
    The biggest thing for me, this go around, has been not to even set long term goals. I have no idea how much weight I actually want to lose, or how long I want it to take. I just want to focus daily on what I'm putting in vs. what I'm burning. I am focusing on the reasons I eat, and trying to ask myself at the end of the day what I could have done differently/better and could I do more tomorrow? Trying to get to the gym every time I have a chance. I don't beat myself up if I didn't make it one day because I had an unplanned event, I just try to make it tomorrow. I'm averaging 4-5 times a week that way and the weight is coming off on it's own. Good luck doll!
  • anniesgolden
    anniesgolden Posts: 12 Member
    What has helped me is realizing that "dieting" is an awful lot of habit changes that we're expected to make all at once. Suddenly from one day to the next we're supposed to acquire - and be good at - a lot of completely new behaviors. It's a setup for failure.

I started this time by adopting one new behavior at a time, usually one a week. Started with "log what you eat" and got used to that (no targets, just get used to logging). Then take a walk every day and log it. Then eat more vegetables. Then walk for 20 minutes a day. Then eat under a calorie target (after all the other changes this was pretty easy). I'm up to trying to hit targets for macros and average heart rate. And I'm down two sizes.

I'm not thinking of it as a diet, I'm thinking of it as acquiring good lifelong habits. One very small habit at a time.
  • Kimbers330
    Kimbers330 Posts: 7 Member
    That's a good idea!
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    This is my 3rd time on MFP. I lost weight and gained it back three times. But each time I learned some new strategies that worked for me, new things to eat that I liked that were healthy and low-cal, new ways to exercise. I hit my highest weight ever when we came back from summer vacation this year, at the end of August. And that finally was the tipping point for me, the point where I said "No more." I've now been logging for eight weeks straight (56 days), have given up flour and sugar in my daily diet (with allowances for family birthdays), and I am exercising almost every single day. I'm down 16 lbs so far (with another 29 lbs to go), and it is NOT going to come back on even though I am over 50, and even though I still struggle with social eating situations. So don't give up! Use your recent setbacks as learning experiences. What triggered you? How can you make different choices in that situation? What's worked for you and what do you want to try next? What's worked for others that you might want to try?
  • Bmoy87
    Bmoy87 Posts: 55 Member
    This is also my 3rd time on MFP. I have lost 108 pounds now since January 2015 with still another 80 or so pounds to loose. I have been down this road so many times (lost around 150 pounds in 2009) that I also felt like I was destined for failure. You cant let that sorta negativity get you down! I still get "you did this on this date in 20xx" posts on facebook and some are reminders of my past failures, but you cant let that get you down!
  • stircrzy
    stircrzy Posts: 47 Member
    Yeah, plateaus stink. But don't beat yourself up over it. If you are looking for inspiration try reading "The slight Edge" I love how it talks about the little things we do each day that can add up to big change. That is my current motivation. I need to make little changes, and I think those will add up to big changes, but I will never find out if I can't stick to it. Good luck to you! Please feel free to friend me and we can stick to it together.