Has anyone supplemented zma?

It's been around for a while now but I've only heard about till recently. Does it actually work like what the studies have said? :)

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    It's been around for a while now but I've only heard about till recently. Does it actually work like what the studies have said? :)

What is it that you're seeing in the studies that interests you? Anecdotally I've heard it boosts testosterone and gives energy. I took ZMA for about 4 years and I found that I did sleep a little bit better, but it did not help me fall asleep; I simply felt a little better when I woke up. The Zinc in it might help with your immune system but I really don't know what the studies have to say about Zinc. If you're looking for a Testosterone boost I don't think you'll get that. It's been suggested that Magnesium can help boost Test but the research I'm seen on Magnesium separately is kind of a "big maybe" on that one. Plus the dosage of Magnesium in ZMA is not huge, I think it's about 250mg on average.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    zinc should be taken with copper (in a multi-vitamin), never alone for long periods

Why is that? Do Zinc and Copper have a chemical bond that affects how Zinc reacts in the body? I don't know anything about, just curious.
  • emilydawkins2
    emilydawkins2 Posts: 18 Member
    edited October 2015
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    zinc should be taken with copper (in a multi-vitamin), never alone for long periods

Why is that? Do Zinc and Copper have a chemical bond that affects how Zinc reacts in the body? I don't know anything about, just curious.

Yeah it does have an affect on copper of you have too much zinc
  • alexjvolk
    alexjvolk Posts: 22 Member
    I've taken it, and didn't notice any changes tbh.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Helps me sleep, it won't do anything other than that.

http://examine.com/supplements/zma/