Lower belly fat, what gives!?

Options
No matter what I do, I can't lose this darn lower belly fat. The best way that I can describe it is like a pouch. The rest of my body is fairly lean/toned. I even have slightly defined abs on my upper stomach. But I look silly with this pouch of fat that drives me bonkers. Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    White flour, pop, ice cream, white pasta, donuts, deep fried foods........just to name a few.

I've cut most of them and BAM! abs

Luck :drinker:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    White flour, pop, ice cream, white pasta, donuts, deep fried foods........just to name a few.

Correlation =/= causation

Doing the above in and of itself does NOT cause the loss of belly fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Genetics dictates how your body holds fat. Some people have "pouches" while others don't at the same body fat %.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Well that's one way to create a calorie deficit I suppose.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Woah!! Low body fat, be in a calorie deficit. Eliminating foods is not necessary just eat less of them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Based on your description and the ticker in your profile, my guess is that your problem area would be improved by eating at or above maintenance and working on building muscle. Plus possibly better posture.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Those are all things I ate leading up to my bodybuilding competition and things I still eat while having abs. They don't prevent you from losing weight or belly fat if you are in a deficit. Cutting them out is completely unnecessary unless you are allergic.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So maybe the word cut was not the right choice. However, those types of foods are not always helpful when trying to get rid of that last bit of belly.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    So maybe the work cut was not the right choice. However, those types of foods are not always helpful when trying to get rid of that last bit of belly.

Nope. Calorie in versus calories out CICO is supreme
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    So maybe the work cut was not the right choice. However, those types of foods are not always helpful when trying to get rid of that last bit of belly.

They may make it harder for people with low calorie goals to hit their macros and micros while being satisfied. Other than that they aren't harmful to weight loss or belly fat.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So maybe the word cut was not the right choice. However, those types of foods are not always helpful when trying to get rid of that last bit of belly.

ANY food that puts you into a caloric surplus is not going to be helpful in trying to be rid of fat - belly or otherwise.

No reason to eliminate specific foods of any type - short of allergies or other medical complications of course
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    In other words, eat your ice cream, and don't feel guilty about it! Some people will always have a little belly, no matter what they do/eat/don't eat.....be the best you can be, enjoy life, and eat your ice cream!! xo
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I know, what's up with it!? It's hanging on for dear life. I do have a bit of loose skin but I'm only 5 pounds away from my goal of 120 (which is just about half way between too skinny and overweight for my height) and the only squishy flabby part left is my belly. It extends a bit to my hips so I can pinch some inches all the way from one side to the other. But I've always had a pouch there, so it seems to be the first place my body decides to store fat and the very, very, VERY last place for it to come off. I will succeed! :) And I will succeed while eating all the carbs! lol
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It's crazy how that area can hang on. I had accepted that mine might not get very nice ever, because I have to get way too skinny to lose it almost totally (and I've been 85 lbs before, so I know skinny). Oddly enough, after getting on Metformin and cutting my carbs down, it deflated!

I have PCOS and other blood sugar problems, the PCOS since I was a teen, so I'm guessing the hormonal problems caused the distribution issue. Metformin balances other hormones than just insulin, and the carbs do matter to IR. Still, I'm completely shocked. Mine is actually wrinkled at the very bottom from the 'deflation', lol. I've just had that little pooch (bigger if I'm bigger) for soooo long :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    My butt is hanging on for dear life. Genetics. You gotta keep that calorie deficit up to lose the fat. (I gave up lol).
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    What I have read: fewer blood vessels there; less easy transit out. Plus that's the fat layer that will save your life in Neolithic winter. Got to coax your body to let go of that insurance.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Abs are dictated by body composition (adequste muscle mass), geetics and low body fat. If all 3 dont favor you then getting a flat belly might be hard.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. No matter how in shape I was and how low my body fat is/was, I still have flab on my lower belly. I am 51 and I got it after I had my kids...my last at 37. Never went away no matter what I did/do. Fortunately, I have a wonderful husband who loves me the way I am. I am healthy and in shape. We have to accept and love ourselves the way we are. Especially if we have tried everything. Maybe this is just the way we are meant to be.