Overweight and flying

Options
So I have a chance to go visit some family but the only way to get there is by plane because they live On the west coast and I on the east coast. I am 5'3" and I weigh 250 lbs and I am terrifyed to go because I am not paying for the ticket. I would like to know if I would have to purchase another ticket or what.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    roselones wrote: »
    So I have a chance to go visit some family but the only way to get there is by plane because they live On the west coast and I on the east coast. I am 5'3" and I weigh 250 lbs and I am terrifyed to go because I am not paying for the ticket. I would like to know if I would have to purchase another ticket or what.

You would have to check with the airline and what their specific policies are.

With those stats, I would not think that you would, but different airlines have different policies.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why not paying for the ticket is terrifying. Did you mean something else?n is it just the seating thing or are you scared to fly?

Many airlines will make people buy two seats. If you won't fit, you might want to consider getting a second seat or going first class, where the seats are bigger. I'm not sure which option is cheaper.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Depends on the airline. I've flown Delta dozens of times at 300+ and never paid for a second seat. Of course the folks next to me were obviously less thrilled.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You are nervous they will make you buy a second seat and you don't have the money/would be embarrassed to tell the person buying it or embarrassed in general that that might happen? I also suspect you wouldn't need a second seat, but it is worth making a call to ask about policies.
  • suechamber1
    suechamber1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Totally understand your fear and I was in the same boat last year. I weighed the same as you and was terrified that I would be made to buy another seat but as long as you can do buckle the seatbelt you are good. I even researched the various airlines to find out what size their seatbelts were. I had connecting fights both there and back and on the first flight I sat down and could not buckle it up so I asked for a seatbelt extender and no problem (although really embarassing since there was a good looking guy sitting next to me). The next flight I asked for the seatbelt extender as I walked by the flight attendant at the doorway (still embarassing because people around me heard me asking) but I lucked out and was the first to sit and was able to buckle up without the extender. But as soon as the person sat next to me and buckled up I could not. Very weird but true. In fact the same thing happened on my way home. I had to use an extender to buckle up when the person next to me sat down but when they moved me to an empty aisle I did not have to use it. Although it can be humiliating asking for an extender (I even contemplating "keeping" the one they gave me on the flight there so I would not have to ask for one on the flights back LOL) and not knowing your body shape (although I was the same weight as you), you should not have to buy a second ticket. Have a fabulous trip!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Perhaps buying a business or first class seat would help you avoid this issue.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Some airlines charge a fee for the extender now. Also, while airlines have posted policies re double seats, the actual application and enforcement of those policies is frequently at the discretion of the flight crew. Be nice, bring cash, cross your fingers and hope you don't get a rules diva or weight crusader at check-in.
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I flew Delta once or twice a year between '09 and '12 at that height and weight and never had to buy a second seat. I didn't require an extender either.

I agree with the comment above that the folks next to me probably didn't like me but I got an aisle seat and did my best to stay in my space.

I just flew again for the first time since '12, I'm down to 185 and I cannot tell you how nice it was to fit in that darn seat. It's the little things!
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot taller than you (5'8") but I flew a lot when I weighed close to 300 and never needed a 2nd seat or an extender. On the off chance that you might - I would say that they won't make a huge fuss about it. At least I should hope not. Those seats are tiny and it's not just overweight people that have problems fitting - tall people do too, and I've seen them be pretty accommodating. Just be super nice and hope they'll return the favor!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a mock up seat if you haven't flown in a long time. A standard seat is 17" wide. If you know the carrier and plane model you can see exactly how wide the seat is. Some are a LUXURIOUS 18" :dizzy:

seatguru.com/charts/shorthaul_economy.php
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    When I used to have to ask for an extender at 265 lbs, the flight attendants were always very kind and discrete. I doubt you'll need a 2nd seat but do try for an aisle if you can. That way when the attendant passes by you can quietly ask her. Have a great trip and just think - next time it won't be an issue!!
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This article written by the wife of a friend might be helpful

http://stacybias.net/2012/01/flying-while-fat-superfat-tips-for-international-air-travel/

Bon voyage!
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I traveled at 250lbs and I'm just barely 5'1. I did not need an extender and I never needed a second seat nor did I encroach on anyone else's space. I suppose it's about how your weight is distributed too.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The last time I flew was probably 5 years ago or so and at that time I was 6' and in the 325 range. I did need the extender although it was close (I just needed a couple more inches). At your height, leg room shouldn't be an issue but for me it is definitely worth it to pay extra for the exit row as it makes it a little easier to move. At your size it is highly unlikely they will make you pay for an extra seat. EXTREMELY unlikely. Honestly, I would think that at your height I would think you would have to be closer to 325-350.

Keep in mind as well that planes only have a few seatbelt extenders so it is best to let the flight attendant know as you board that you will need one or that you believe you will need one.

My other advice would be to pick a window seat. For me, that means I have more room to lean my body away from the passenger next to me rather than feeling like I need to sit with my shoulders/elbows squished in for 6-8 hours.

As for the buying business class or first class...... for most of us that is out of the question. Especially when someone else is buying the ticket.

And if you have time to burn and don't need to make the trip in a day, consider taking the train. It takes a few days but can be an amazing experience and there is a lot more room, even if you are just getting a seat (not a room) and you can easily get up and move around. My mother has always wanted to do it (she lives in Michigan while I am in Seattle and my sister is in San Diego).
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and at 243 pounds while I was heavy, I didn't need an extra seat.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You are nervous they will make you buy a second seat and you don't have the money/would be embarrassed to tell the person buying it or embarrassed in general that that might happen? I also suspect you wouldn't need a second seat, but it is worth making a call to ask about policies.

This