News report = red meat and processed meats cause cancer

Options

Replies

• Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You can take my burnt rib ends when you can pry them from my cold, dead... greasy, bbq sauce tinged hands.

Bring a bib.
  • sinbad714
    sinbad714 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oops I ate burnt toast and butter. Will that give me cancer too?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    I'm going down eating bacon.

Go on...
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    All jokes aside though, if my experiences in the world of cancer have taught me anything, it's that while you should definitely take steps to avoid things that blatantly cause cancer (radioactive materials, long sunlight exposure, etc), you simply can't spend your time worrying about getting cancer from every other thing. The one thing cancer makes you realize most of all is how short life can be, so it's best not to spend the time you have cancer-free worrying about how you're going to get it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist was on a program here in Italy several years ago When asked about the cancer risk in foods he answered "you can't avoid it, so it's best to spread the risk around"---in other words, don't always eat the same thing everyday. Eating alot of the same food day after day puts you at risk for undesiderable effects from that food. I thought it was good advice.

This seems right. Red meat 3x /week cuts down on eating too much fish (Yay for omegas if it's fatty, but oh noes re mercury) or eggs and shrimp etc (low cal, high protein, but high cholesterol, which recent research says isn't worth worrying about; I'm not so prepared to let it go), and chicken (just tastes gross).

Veggie days are worth it when possible, although that means funny guts for me, and eating twice as much as I do on days I eat meat.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    I think the thing I find the most fascinating about these reports of late is the risks that people are willing to take. For example, I've seen a few posts from people (in general, not talking solely about MFP) who are staunch low carb advocates because sugar will kill you just completely dismiss this, whereas they preach the WHO sugar recommendations as gospel.
    I have no issues whatsoever with a breakfast of bacon and eggs, a dinner of black and blue New York strip, and then some ice cream for dessert.

The WHO, the egg-haters, and the meat-haters can all pound sand.

I don't think they 're much bothered though, it's your colon that might kick up a fuss . (Might.)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    This doesn't bother me in the least. I love bacon, bbq and beef and will continue to eat them. In fact I have a quarter beef on order.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Meanwhile, in Argentina...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/26/argentina-react-report-linking-meat-cancer-carcinogen?CMP=fb_us?CMP=fb_us

It looks like they're reacting much of the same way! :smiley:
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it takes 2 to 3 days for your body to digest red mean and 2 to 3 hours to digest chicken. Does that mean anything? I don't know.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I think it takes 2 to 3 days for your body to digest red mean and 2 to 3 hours to digest chicken. Does that mean anything? I don't know.

No that's wrong.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

No that's wrong.

I glanced quickly and found...

red meat....24 to 72 hours
    chicken...3 to 4 hours

I eat red meat sparingly due to some digestive issues and sitting in my stomach too long.

Why do you think that is wrong? Can you point me in the right direction to find more info?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Apart from that you don't eat chicken or red meat alone with nothing else and your body doesn't selectively digest things, digestion takes a while to complete.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/digestive-system/expert-answers/faq-20058340
    You don't poop your chicken parmesan out 3 hours after eating.
    Well, maybe if you didn't cook it through.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Can I just get real for a moment?

Politics =/= Real life

Now pass me some bacon, hot dogs, and some pastrami!
  • gortonlacey
    gortonlacey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The WHO report is about the classification of various compounds and products that are carcinogenic. The media has been extremely irresponsible, as usual, in reporting this properly. You have to understand what the classification system means. It is OK to eat read meat/bacon/burger as part of your diet.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Apart from that you don't eat chicken or red meat alone with nothing else and your body doesn't selectively digest things, digestion takes a while to complete.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/digestive-system/expert-answers/faq-20058340
    You don't poop your chicken parmesan out 3 hours after eating.
    Well, maybe if you didn't cook it through.

If uncooked chicken parm it may come out in 3 hours. You may not be able to predict how it exits though.
  • 1maria100
    1maria100 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try to only eat game meat (I'm a hunter) or animals I have raised myself. We raise several dozen broiler chickens every year. The game meat is amazing because it is very low in fat and very high in protein, plus you know what your eating and where it comes from!
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I picked a good time to go pescatarian. Red meat has always made me sick to my stomach.

However, as others have said, the report is hugely misleading and eating red meat as part of a balanced diet likely won't affect cancer risk. Enjoy your bacon, guys and gals :smiley:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    1maria100 wrote: »
    I try to only eat game meat (I'm a hunter) or animals I have raised myself. We raise several dozen broiler chickens every year. The game meat is amazing because it is very low in fat and very high in protein, plus you know what your eating and where it comes from!

We eat a fair share of game meat as well. I wish there was data on whether it has a lower correlation to disease than commercial red meat. I've never been able to find any.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This is all because saturated fats were vindicated. Now the WHO is digging deep to find some other reason to discourage meat eating.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    This is all because saturated fats were vindicated. Now the WHO is digging deep to find some other reason to discourage meat eating.

What do you mean by "saturated fats were vindicated"?