Who tried the Military Diet

Options
awash10
awash10 Posts: 24 Member
I have been thinking about trying the military diet. Has anyone tried.
1. Did you finish?
2. if no, why not?
3. if yes, what were your results? And were you happy?
4. Finished or not would you try it again?

Replies

• lew_girl
    lew_girl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1. yes
    2. It was hard but its only 3 days you can do it girl !!
    3. I was very happy , I did not loose 10 pounds like it said you would but I lost 7 so that was good for me
    4. Yes, I am going to go for it again in another week ! But I must warn you it takes a lot of will power , but you got this !
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I never tried it and never even heard of it so I looked it up. According to the summary on webmd.com:

You will likely lose weight on any diet if you eat less than 910 calories a day. But losing 10 pounds in 3 days is both unlikely and unhealthy. To lose just 1 pound of body fat, you need to reduce your daily calories by about 500 a day for a whole week. That’s giving up 3,500 calories over the course of 7 days. To lose 10 pounds in 3 days would mean decreasing your calorie intake by 35,000 calories in just 3 days! The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends a slow and steady weight loss of no more than 1/2 to 1 pound a week. Otherwise you are losing muscle and water, as well as weakening your bones. You also are much more likely to gain it all back.

There are no quick fixes. Slow and steady is the way to go. Good luck.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    This is no different, than being anorexic & they die of heart failure because your body will start to cannibalize muscle, when it isn't being nourished & your heart, is a muscle!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    That diet is a joke. Hot dogs, saltines and ice cream - zero nutritional value. You're basically just almost starving yourself for 3 days for what will likely be very temporary results. Quit searching for the quick fix and eat at a decifit. You'll be much happier and have better results.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I approached this diet as a kickstart to further weight loss. Three days and 5 lbs. later, the results were enough of a motivation for me to continue my then-journey; though I am now convinced the only special formula in the diet is its low calorie count, I've since seen similar losses through 3 or more days of eating low calorie, period (not recommended long-term).
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    1. Did you finish? Yes... did it a few times back before I knew about myfitnesspal and the importance of nutrition.
    2. if no, why not?
    3. if yes, what were your results? And were you happy? Results were temporary. IME, it was a waste of time. It made me tired, angry, hungry and sick. No nutrition. My hair fell out. I got pimples and messed up my hormones. I quickly learned once joining MFP that there are no quick fixes. It took me a while to pile the weight on, so it will take a while to lose it. Slow and steady wins the race. :) AND, you lose minimal muscle doing it the proper way. Fad diets causes muscle loss. Also, there's no way to get the nutrition the body needs with such a low calorie diet. The body NEEDS fuel to thrive.
    4. Finished or not would you try it again? Nope. NOT a chance. It's very low calorie (against the guidelines here at MFP) FAD diet. I gained all the water weight I lost back plus more no matter how I ate afterwards (low calorie, low carb, healthy, flexible dieting). I basically wasted days of my life with it. Now, I use myfitnesspal and have been losing the weight and keeping it off. Now I KNOW that I can EAT and lose the weight and be HAPPY. There's no need to starve...

Very low calorie diets are very dangerous and unnecessary.. Just do a search here on myfitnesspal to see what I mean. Many have tried it here with the same temporary results, and now use this site to lose the weight and keep it off.

Oh, the Military diet has many different names...sacred heart diet...Ontario Hospital diet...hotdog diet, just to name a few. Not endorsed by the Military or any hospital.

My father in law actually asked his dietitian about this diet and was told to stay far far away from this.

I know it may be tempting, but health is far more important than being skinny super fast. Eat a deficit...that's all you need to lose weight.
  • catherineandpaul1957
    Options
    Why is this called a Military Diet? We feed our military better than this!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    That diet is a joke. Hot dogs, saltines and ice cream - zero nutritional value. You're basically just almost starving yourself for 3 days for what will likely be very temporary results. Quit searching for the quick fix and eat at a decifit. You'll be much happier and have better results.

This^

Eat food that you enjoy....BUT monitor your portions. That way when you get to maintenance, you have learned about real portion sizes (of food you actually like).

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP you won't find much support for this diet here as it is a VLCD and promoting it is against the Terms of Service.

If this thread stands long enough for you to get comments, I think you will find most people find these sort of programs largely unnecessary as they don't teach long term habits. I would strongly recommend setting an appropriate and reasonable calorie deficit, eating primarily nutrient dense foods within that deficit, saving room for treats if you like, and exercising if you would like (eating back at least a portion of the exercise calories you earn from MFP). Further details about all of this can be found in the Sexypants link provided above.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Why is this called a Military Diet? We feed our military better than this!!!

This fad diet has been around for decades. It's gone by a number of different names. OP - if this diet were so "magical" you would think that the people at Cambridge (one of the past names)......wouldn't have fought so hard to get their name removed.
  • awash10
    awash10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

This !!

Let go of the fad diets , these things teach nothing for long term success.

Anyone can starve for a few days, but it takes hard work and dedication to make a real lifestyle change. Fads and gimmicks are not a life style change. That's just looking for a quick fix.