Greek yogurt help

Replies

• kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    There really isn't a whole lot of fat in most dairy products (other than the obvious ones like butter and buttermilk). "2% milk" doesn't mean 2% of what's in whole, it means that milk is 2% fat. Meanwhile whole milk is only 4% fat.
    I use full-fat plain greek yogurt, FWIW. The vanilla yogurts always add a ton of sugar even if they don't also add fruit or anything.
  • FiMunroe
    FiMunroe Posts: 1 Member
    I add fruit and flax seed. I find the fruit adds sweetness and the ground flax seed really cuts the tartness of the yogurt.
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    I stir a tsp of honey or 1 tbsp of peanut butter (sometimes PB2) into plain greek yogurt. Sometimes I add dates, or berries, or organic granola. So yum.

I personally prefer 2% over nonfat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I have gone without sugar so long I simply add blueberries and I'm done. But great suggestions everyone.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I don't like the tartness of straight yogurt either. I add 2 tsp of salted caramel hot chocolate powder, or peanut butter/chocolate protein powder.
  • amyhs12345
    amyhs12345 Posts: 18 Member
    I agree it is great with powdered peanut butter or the powdered chocolate peanut butter. I also add vanilla extract and stevia depending if I am looking for something more dessert like.
  • bover145
    bover145 Posts: 119 Member
    Where do you find these powders?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I eat it plain, or with unsweetened cocoa powder. I don't need it too sweet. If I do want some sweetness or flavor, I LOVE to add powdered peanut butter, a little "zero" calorie chocolate syrup, or a crushed up oreo.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    bover145 wrote: »
    Where do you find these powders?

What powders? Peanut butter? Protein? The grocery store and supplement stores.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    I buy the Wallaby organic whole milk Greek yogurt because it is very mild (the degree of 'tang' varies; Straus family creamery's is entirely too zippy for me.) And for a topping I use the Mountain Fruit Company's unsweetened jams like Oh! berries Marrionberry and Always Apricot. They are amazing! Whole foods stocks them.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    Sometimes I just mix them. I've found a couple of brands of the vanilla that aren't all that super sweet, but still like it better toned down some. Some of the plain stuff is almost like sour cream.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    If you are open to trying other brands, try Siggis. It is low sugar, but not super sour. I love it. It is not cheap :( but our store occasionally has it for 1$ a container.

When we can't get it for a good price, there is a Chobani variety that is ~100 calories. It has a little sugar and a little .... something else I am blanking on. Probably Stevia. Its not nearly as sweet as their regular yogurt.

Those are for when we want individual servings for lunches. At home we typically buy the big vat of plain yogurt, and add a blob of jam, maple syrup, or honey.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2015
    I used to add Stevia, but I have gotten acclimated to the taste and rather enjoy it now i like 2percent fage plain. Sometimes I will use it as a dip for apples or banannas.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    I make refrigerator oatmeal, and use sugar free jam. That is plenty sweet for me.

http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/224/Raspberry+Vanilla+Refrigerator+Oatmeal
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    I love to add canned pumpkin purée and some cinnamon, plus some raw walnuts or almonds for crunch. Great fall breakfast!
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    I use either 2% or full fat Fage and mix in fresh blueberries or strawberry slices, some liquid stevia and a dash of vanilla extract. The 2% is still a little tangy, but with full fat it tastes to me like berries with whipped cream.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Add some protein powder
  • CateWright1
    CateWright1 Posts: 10 Member
    What about something that is naturally super sweet, like bananas or mangoes? I also second the person who said unsweetened jam! Trader Joes makes a great four-fruit no sugar added jam that I use even when I am not dieting.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    I put fresh fruit in my yogurt with honey drizzled over it.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Start eating plain Greek after the first spoonful your taste buds won't register it being sour. I eat plain all the time you will get use to it