Lifting belts

Options
are there any female power lifters who have good recommendations for belts! I'm looking to buy! I squat and dead, and I'm trying to build up my pr and protect my back

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    gymth0ttie wrote: »
    are there any female power lifters who have good recommendations for belts! I'm looking to buy! I squat and dead, and I'm trying to build up my pr and protect my back
    Do you plan on competing? Make sure you check your Fed's rules regarding what belt you can use.

Otherwise, standard powerlifting belts are constructed of laminated leather with either a buckle or metal latch and come in 10mm and 13mm widths. (And there are other variations like a deadlift dedicated belt to the cheap valeo fabric/velcro straps.) I use a 13mm for deadlifting (when needed - I don't normally belt up to DL) and for squat a 10mm.
  • gymth0ttie
    gymth0ttie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh I just wanted to know who likes what brands! I usually sign out my gyms Velaro or Grizzly belt for the day. I'm not competing, I want to get stronger before I go into the police academy ❗️
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    gymth0ttie wrote: »
    Do you plan on competing? Make sure you check your Fed's rules regarding what belt you can use.

Otherwise, standard powerlifting belts are constructed of laminated leather with either a buckle or metal latch and come in 10mm and 13mm widths. (And there are other variations like a deadlift dedicated belt to the cheap valeo fabric/velcro straps.) I use a 13mm for deadlifting (when needed - I don't normally belt up to DL) and for squat a 10mm.

Pretty much this. Again, I'm not a female, but I use the 13 and 10mm lever belts from Strength Shop USA both are IPF approved. https://www.strengthshopusa.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=lever Sad though... now they have colors. I want a better color than black. :'(
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use an Inzer 10mm single buckle, i love it. But please note that belts aren't for protecting your back, they are to assist with core strength and stability. I only put on my belt when i hit 60% or so of my 1rm. and I only wear it for squat, DL, bench, GM and occasionally for the OHP.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i use an Inzer 10mm single buckle, i love it. But please note that belts aren't for protecting your back, they are to assist with core strength and stability. I only put on my belt when i hit 60% or so of my 1rm. and I only wear it for squat, DL, bench, GM and occasionally for the OHP.

This. Belts aren't for protecting your back, they assist core stability and are generally only used on the heaviest sets.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »

This. Belts aren't for protecting your back, they assist core stability and are generally only used on the heaviest sets.

Consigned again. I love my Inzer 10mm, but it's used to assist in core activation and stabilization not as a brace for my back.
    Options
    And along with that, whatever belt you choose, make sure you blow-out your gut before tightening the belt. You'll get better support that way.
  • Grosen17
    Grosen17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Just adding another to look into; harbinger is the brand
    My wife and i use it
    Shes 112lb
    Squats 265 x 3 (breaks parallel)
    Deadlifts 225 x 2

Hope that helps : )
    Good luck
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I have a Strength Shop 10mm lever belt. IPF approved - because you might think that doesn't matter now and then decide to compete later and have to buy a new belt ;)

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I also have an Inzer...it's purple.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Grosen17 wrote: »
    Hey,
    My wife and i use it
    Shes 112lb
    Deadlifts 225 x 2

Good luck

Damn... your wife lifts 15 more pounds on the squats then me and about the same on the deads... and I'm 180 lbs... :s Ego destroyed... :'(
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Grosen17 wrote: »
    Hey,
    My wife and i use it
    Shes 112lb
    Deadlifts 225 x 2

Good luck
    You're a lucky man :)
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I never understood the point of belts. I'm ignorant in this subject. Please explain.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I never understood the point of belts. I'm ignorant in this subject. Please explain.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/10/01/weight-lifting-belt/
    Options
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Valsalva maneuver. Increases your lifting ability/stability by increasing your core pressure. You can utilize this technique without a belt by inhaling and squeezing your core hard during normal reps, but having something to "push" against with your gut maximizes the effectiveness of this technique.

If you have heart or blood pressure issues, this technique is not advisable.