Day Two: Less Sugar

Options
Today I will attempt my morning coffee with half the amount of sugar and creamer I normally add to it. ((Sigh))

Replies

• LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It's doable and you may actually grow to like it. Although I never put sugar in my coffee, I had always used cream. I switched cold turkey to black coffee and prefer it that way now...if it's good coffee :)
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I used a Splenda instead of sugar today and skim milk instead of homo milk. A couple years ago I managed to switch to just skim milk, and once I got used to it, I liked it. Maybe tomorrow :)
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Ive given up other things in order to keep my half and half. At some point Im going to have to switch I assume but thats going to be a hard one.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself off of creamer. Turns out if I add spices to my coffee, I don't need the creamer and artificial flavors. Of course, I've always used sweetener, so I'm not really any help. Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would say that you should try to just cut it out completely ...in 3 weeks you won't be able to stand the taste of sugar in coffee or tea tbh

But then again it's only 15-20 calories a teaspoon so not a big hit on your calories, and you could use sweeteners
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I switched gradually from 2 tsp. sugar and 1/4 cup milk to a pinch of stevia and a tsp. of milk. I now like it this way. I think I'd gag if I went back to the old way.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and will not give it up. I was too always having it with cream and sugar and never thought I could drink it any other way. But, little by little - now I drink it only black and could not think about having it any other way :smile:
    Black is when you really can taste the aroma of the beans - love it!
  • celestemedrano1224
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouraging feesback. My coffer was my one guilty pleasure. My reward for being alive each morning and getting out of bed to go to work. Lol! It just wasn't the same. Bitter. I don't care for bitter, I prefer sweet. Hence the entire reason for the restrictive diet. I must purchase some Stevia or Splenda and fat free/sugar free creamer.
  • my73
    my73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb so this may not suit you but I have been putting heavy whipping cream (not whipped cream mind you) in my coffee after years of putting Hazelnut creamer. Instead now I get the Hazelnut coffee and use the heavy cream. I enjoy it. Best of luck. Giving up things we enjoy is not easy.
  • somethingbeautiful
    somethingbeautiful Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use stevia in my tea and it tastes pretty good. Not the exact same but the sweetness is there. I hope it works for you :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouraging feesback. My coffer was my one guilty pleasure. My reward for being alive each morning and getting out of bed to go to work. Lol! It just wasn't the same. Bitter. I don't care for bitter, I prefer sweet. Hence the entire reason for the restrictive diet. I must purchase some Stevia or Splenda and fat free/sugar free creamer.

A tablespoon of sugar in the raw or white sugar is sweet. You've just gotten used to a lot of sugar.

I use protein powder in my coffee. It's sweet, comes in a ton of flavors, you don't need any milk or creamer, it's less calories than milk and sugar, and you get a hit of protein in the morning.
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

A tablespoon of sugar in the raw or white sugar is sweet. You've just gotten used to a lot of sugar.

I use protein powder in my coffee. It's sweet, comes in a ton of flavors, you don't need any milk or creamer, it's less calories than milk and sugar, and you get a hit of protein in the morning.

Very interesting. Never thought of his one. Thanks for the tip
  • H34v3nlySinsx3
    H34v3nlySinsx3 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress. Chin up! What your doing is working towards a healthier and better version of you!! Good luck!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am off all sugar,,, gave me a bit of a headache, but I am on a roll now.i do miss that coffee with sugar... but I am proud I can do it., now I am used to coffee with no sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I would say that you should try to just cut it out completely ...in 3 weeks you won't be able to stand the taste of sugar in coffee or tea tbh

But then again it's only 15-20 calories a teaspoon so not a big hit on your calories, and you could use sweeteners

This.

I never liked sugar in coffee, but I used to like milk or cream. Years ago I decided to start drinking it black and was amazed at how quickly I adjusted and how I only like it black now, for the most part.

But although I will talk up the merits of black coffee, a normal amount of sugar in it really shouldn't have that many calories.