Meal replacement shakes

Options
anyone use meal replacement shakes for breakfast and lunch ? Did they work ?

Replies

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Some feel hungrier switching out meals for shakes. It's popular on these boards to recommend eating regular food within your calories. Caloric deficit is the only cause of weight loss, not shakes. :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No thanks.

Food is good, right?

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

77.gif

HINT: They're generally garbage. Marketing lies that neither taste good, nor work.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes are an awful idea. You can drink 200 calories in about 30 seconds. Where is the fun in that.. And it does not satisfy anything... no purpose...

Eat those 200 calories in something you enjoy but overall just eat a meal in the right amount calories to carry you over to the next meal... Just take your MFP alloted number of calories and split them up over the day.
  • empireman85
    empireman85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree real food is best but I uses shakes and bars as well. Eating five or six times a day works best for me so a shake or bar does fit the bill. I actually like them so that might make a difference.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Some feel hungrier switching out meals for shakes. It's popular on these boards to recommend eating regular food within your calories. Caloric deficit is the only cause of weight loss, not shakes. :)

Personally, I'd rather have a shake or a bar, rather than a meal for breakfast or lunch. I'm going to be trying it as soon as the ones I ordered arrive. If I'm at a caloric deficit using shakes, then I should lose weight. It's a matter of whether they make you feel full and you're getting enough nutrients. If you depend on them too much, however, you may have difficulty going back to regular food once you're done losing weight. Find the right balance and the right products.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    When you ask if they 'work', are you asking if they help with weight loss?
    They don't help any more or any less than solid food. A calorie is a calorie. The majority of us choose to eat our calories rather than drink them as shake diets feel a little depriving. You also need to ask yourself if meal replacement shakes are something you can keep up long-term? If the answer is no, I wouldn't recommend :)
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    Personally, I'd rather have a shake or a bar, rather than a meal for breakfast or lunch. I'm going to be trying it as soon as the ones I ordered arrive.

Indeed, there are some who are not "breakfast people"! If you find a shake that meets your needs (and hopefully isn't MLM), it could be a good way to get your nutrients in during the morning or lunch time.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The "not breakfast people" should wait to eat until later in the day when they feel like it. No need to force feed yourself a shake. As long as you get your nutrients and recommended calories, it doesn't matter when you consume them.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If i were you... i would suggest maybe using a shake or bar.. in the morning.. and salad with chicken breast for lunch.. make a big bag of toss salad..shread the chicken breast and put in a bowl and you can eat that all week.. its simple and easy... after you are done... for dinner... eat normally with your family.. just stay under your calorie goal..
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The "not breakfast people" should wait to eat until later in the day when they feel like it. No need to force feed yourself a shake. As long as you get your nutrients and recommended calories, it doesn't matter when you consume them.

I don't totally agree with this... your muscles need food... no matter if you are hungry or not.. you don't want to lose muscles just because you are trying to lose weight.... eat a good breakfast with protein... it is important to stay a little hungry but a lot of hunger leads to binging.. binging leads to .....
  • ElleMarieRose
    ElleMarieRose Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    eslcity wrote: »

I don't totally agree with this... your muscles need food... no matter if you are hungry or not.. you don't want to lose muscles just because you are trying to lose weight.... eat a good breakfast with protein... it is important to stay a little hungry but a lot of hunger leads to binging.. binging leads to .....

I think it's variable, and completely up to the person and their preferences. I've seen people lose weight but retain muscle on leangains, for example. And leangains is an intermittent fasting plan where you don't really eat breakfast. Some people do better with breakfast, some do better without.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ndeen wrote: »

Yes - years ago I did Slim Fast

Did they work?

That depends upon your definition. I lost weight BUT, then gained it all back. Replacement shakes teach you nothing about portion control. After the weight is gone, you are left with.....now what? Slim Fast has lots of repeat customers....losing the same 5 or 10 pounds over & over again.

I would not recommend meal replacement shakes. Slim Fast is especially poor quality. Lots of sugar, some added fiber, and you provide most of the protein in the form of milk. I was hungry often. Real food allows me to tweak meals for my needs....I stay full longer with a combination of protein, fat and complex carbs.
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ndeen wrote: »

Yes and Yes! Soylent to be specific.

• shandy4487
    shandy4487 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use meal replacement shakes sometimes and I really like them. It's hard to find one that doesn't have a ton of sugar tho! :) I usually look for the vegan ones, those seem to be a healthier option, and they actually taste pretty good. They are a bit more expensive tho. Hope this helps!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    If you think that it might work for you, give it a shot. You'll get both sides of this decision here, each as determined as the other to convince you that they are right and the others are wrong.

• Want2bthin135
    Want2bthin135 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Shakes/meal replacements can work if you stay within your calorie range.

I personally like to chew my food, but everyone is different.

Try it, see if it works, if not, do something else.

Best of luck.